2009 Library Science Programs (masters)

jesso21

Now that I've heard back from all my schools, I now have to choose!

Anyone made a decision yet?

I haven't heard anything about funding yet. I'm worried about paying for it/having to make my decision based purely on what I can afford :(

ugh! This decision is so much more stressful than waiting :cry:

I'm accepted at UW-Madison and Indiana. I haven't heard anything from UT-Austin, but one of my LOR writers messed up her letter (long story), and if I'm not accepted there, I think that debacle will have been a factor. I'm visiting both schools this month, so hopefully that (and financial aid) will help me make a decision.

One of my coworkers is doing a distance program through Kentucky, and she's pretty pleased with it.

Congrats, you two! SelenityK, you're ballsy! I like it.

I'll be visiting Indiana and U of Kentucky this month to try to scope out the programs. I've heard from one UK alum that the program is doable in one year. So, if I receive no funding at all (*please don't let this happen!*) then I might just zoom through that program.

Is funding really scarce in our program (in general)? Have you guys heard about funding from your accepted schools? I'm stressed over this!

I just got back from a visit to Indiana University as a prospective MA/MLS student. The program looks pretty awesome (I'm a rare books and manuscripts person) and everyone I met was just wonderful. They said they'd be making funding decisions within the next two weeks or so - here's hoping there's a package for me!

I applied to the LIS program at the U of I as well, but I haven't heard anything yet. When I called a couple months ago, the lady I spoke to said emails would be sent out mid-March to early April. I was under the impression that decisions would be sent out at the same time, but maybe I misinterpreted what she said. Jesso21, did you get that impression at all?

I'm starting to get a little nervous/paranoid now. :)

Oh, no problem. I was just being my usual paranoid self. :D And congrats to you, too! Have you visited Illinois yet?

Since the topic of this discussion is decisions, I'll say that mine is an easy one to make as well. I only applied to the University of Illinois. My plan is to attend full-time, but that depends on a few factors: I'd have to leave my incredibly secure job and find adequate funding. I'm going to finish my assistantship application this weekend, and I'll wait to see what happens after that. If I don't receive funding, I may defer for one year and try again.

P.S. Jesso21, have you applied for assistantships yet? Do you have any idea how long it might take to hear about funding from the U of I? By the way, I'm pretty sure that it's possible to finish that program in one year as well, but that would probably be pretty intense.

Have you visited Illinois yet?

have you applied for assistantships yet? Do you have any idea how long it might take to hear about funding from the U of I? By the way, I'm pretty sure that it's possible to finish that program in one year as well, but that would probably be pretty intense.

I haven't visited Illinois yet. I had to turn down their invitation to an "early orientation" session on April 6th. I might try to squeeze it in during my spring break or at the end of April though. Have you visited?

I have applied for assistantships at a couple of schools, but I still need to do it for Illinois. I have no idea how long it will be until we hear about funding from them...I don't think I've heard anything at all about funding from them (other schools have sent notices that decisions regarding funding are still being decided/will be decided by such a date).

I'm going to go back through all my school webpages and look for additional funding apps or info. Funding is a major issue for me, and I may have to defer for a year as well.

I haven't visited Illinois yet. I had to turn down their invitation to an "early orientation" session on April 6th. I might try to squeeze it in during my spring break or at the end of April though. Have you visited?

I have applied for assistantships at a couple of schools, but I still need to do it for Illinois. I have no idea how long it will be until we hear about funding from them...I don't think I've heard anything at all about funding from them (other schools have sent notices that decisions regarding funding are still being decided/will be decided by such a date).

I'm going to go back through all my school webpages and look for additional funding apps or info. Funding is a major issue for me, and I may have to defer for a year as well.

I earned my bachelor's degree from the U of I, and I loved it while I was there. That's probably one of the reasons that I only applied to one school. :D The campus is beautiful and it has an incredible library system--I believe it's the second or third largest in the country. One of my friends gave me a tour of GSLIS a year ago, and it's quite impressive as well. It's housed in a beautiful building that's outfitted extremely well.

I don't know if we're even going to receive anything specific in terms of assistantship information. The information is all available online, and you just have to send in all your information. The email contains a link that you have to follow to find all of that information. I might call this week to find out how long it takes to hear anything. Due to the nature of my job (I'm a teacher), I need to find out as soon as possible so that I can let everyone know and turn in my resignation letter. Scary!

If you can't visit Illinois and have any questions about the campus, let me know. I'd be glad to give you as much information as possible.

I'm trying to decide between UW-Madison and U of I's programs. I have more family near/in Madison, but U of I is still close to my brother and sister who are in Chicago. I've lived in Madison before and love the city. I'm worried that Urbana/Champaign does not have much going for it beyond the university (I'm not interested in partying & drinking). I'm definitely interested in public libraries, and may be interested in either adult or youth services. I have not had a chance to visit either campus yet. Does anyone have ANY insights into the programs of these two schools or the cities?

I'd be grateful!

They said they'd be making funding decisions within the next two weeks or so - here's hoping there's a package for me!

Ooh, that means they might be done by now! I'm currently at Indiana wrapping up my bachelors, and it is an awesome place (when it isn't 5 degrees outside, which in the last year has been about 50% of the time :roll: ). I've been accepted to Rutgers and UNC Chapel Hill, still waiting on Washington and Alberta (in Canada). I'll just have to go where the money is; the thought of $40k of debt isn't pretty.

I feel like a complete goober asking these obvious questions, but I'd really appreciate anyone's help!

I've applied to four master's programs in library science: University of Illinois, University of Maryland, SUNY Buffalo, and Simmons College. On Friday, March 13 (!), I got a flurry of acceptance emails from: U of Illinois, U of Maryland, and SUNY Buffalo. The U of I email instructed me to notify them by April 15 of my intention to enter the program. However, I'm graduating from college this spring and therefore have no money and quite a few loans to boot. Funding is a huge concern and may largely determine where I go -- but everyone I've talked to in the financial offices have said that a) their award letters for graduate students won't go out for a few weeks, and B) the library department budget won't be decided until the summer (which determines how many graduate assistantships they can offer).

I've sent in all the applications for assistantships I've found so far, but it sounds like these programs are expecting me to make a decision without having any idea of how finances will work out. GA positions sound extremely competitive and not a "sure bet" in any sense for financing. Is this just how the system works for master's students? Have I missed some vital steps somewhere? Is there any way to delicately hint to the programs that I really need to know about money before I can choose between my options?

I'm sorry to pester people, but I don't know who to talk to about these issues -- I've never done this before, and the graduate application process seems a lot different from what I went through as an undergrad! I would love to hear any and all advice you've got to offer!

AnnaBelle, I'm in the same boat. If nobody gives me funding I'm looking at $50k in debt at the very least, even assuming I work part-time during my studies. I don't think there's much we can do. The chances of MLS students getting funding is abysmally low; all the cash goes doctorate students. I posted in CollegeConfidential about my worries, and people suggested working full-time while I attend school part-time. It will take longer, probably four years instead of two, but in the mean-time we can get benefits and pay down old debt while expanding our resumes with positions a little more substantial than assistantships.

U of MD said they'd notify by today. Well, they did...in a sense. I just got this email:

"At this time we are unable to offer a final decision on your application because your application requires further review by the Committee. We will review your application again and contact you if we need any additional information to support your application."

What on earth? My application has been complete since January, so I really don't understand this. I guess I should be happy it's not a rejection, but I'd love to know what the hold up is!

Juliet, I think the committees are being extra-cautious with their money decisions this year. All of my schools are doing separate, time-consuming reviews for funding; it's especially frustrating for schools like IU that I received the acceptance letter from in December. One of my schools, which I didn't even bother to list in my signature because I canceled the application (due to other factors, like accusing me of reading my recommendation letters because I provided my professors with SAEs), asked for new materials about a week ago even though I completed the application last November. The results from last year say people had gotten funding already, but I haven't received word at all from anyone :(

accusing me of reading my recommendation letters because I provided my professors with SAEs)

Whoa! That's insane! I provided all my recommenders with stamped envelopes, but I don't remember if I used my address as the return address. What a leap for them to make though. Jeez!

The results from last year say people had gotten funding already, but I haven't received word at all from anyone :(

:( same here... I had a GA interview the other day, but it does not look promising. Should we go ahead and pay for the MLIS/MLS/etc. by ourselves/through loans? I don't know if taking a year off and applying again next year would do any good for me. But the thought of my final loan total is daunting. :( this sucks.

Maybe that's true, about funding. Of course, I have tuition remission because I work for the state, so they don't need to offer me any extra money.

Regardless, I am strongly considering taking the offer I got for the MFA-Creative Writing program that accepted me on Saturday. I can always re-apply to library school a few years down the road. I'll keep on working as library staff in the meantime.

Wow, it sounds like funding is pretty unhappy all around. Thanks for sharing your plans, tkm256, I think the part-time school and full-time work might be my best option if I want to go for this. It sucks that this seems to be the case, but I really appreciate this forum; it's nice to know that we're not alone in being anxious/frustrated/broke!

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from UCLA? I was accepted to University of Marlyand but UCLA is my first choice for financial reasons. I turned in my application back in December and have been in contact with them a few times to make sure they have everything. Last I heard (about 2 weeks ago) they were still reviewing applications. I am checking my email like a crazy person and really need to know one way or the other since registration for Maryland starts in 2 weeks.

Not sure what good it will do but it would be nice to know if anyone is in the same boat? I am trying to hold out hope that they are just really disorganized. I have a strong undergrad record but am starting to think a rejection is on the horizon :-/

Any opinions on distance learning options for the MLIS? If money was no object I would be on board with my acceptance to Univ. of Maryland but without any funding, I am scared to take out loans for $50K. With a distance learning program I could keep my full time job and pay as I go even though it won't be the grad school experience I originally had in mind.

Unfortunately got rejected from UCLA so I am reconsidering San Jose State University to keeps costs down. The deadline for Drexel University's distance program is also rolling so I am thinking of applying there as well.

Is anyone else out there considering a distance program? Thoughts on whether it would it be better to hedge my bets and reapply to UCLA next year after beefing up my library experience and GRE score or am I just wasting my time?