FALL 2013 APPLICANTS!

Guest lefilsdhomme

Bearcat1, you're awesome! I don't know how old you are, but you're like the maternal figure everyone needs on this forum! :)

I second Kunstgeschichtedude! Thank you Bearcat :D Of course, thank you everyone else who has been so helpful. I hate this time of year!

Bearcat1, you're awesome! I don't know how old you are, but you're like the maternal figure everyone needs on this forum! :)

I second Kunstgeschichtedude! Thank you Bearcat :D Of course, thank you everyone else who has been so helpful. I hate this time of year!

Aw, thanks! I'm not that old, but I'll take it! I need to pour my nervous energy into something, so I've decided to be the den mom/cheerleader/pep talk captain wherever I can.

Agreed! I love coming here at the end of the day, after one too many conversations with people who have never gone through this, and know that you all are feeling the same way. We'll make it!

And I remember another anecdote on grad cafe about an applicant using the wrong program name in his/her SOP, and being admitted all the same. Not sure if I saw that in Art History or elsewhere (site-wide lurker!) but it stuck with me, because, well, damn.

That might have been me. I wrote about that a few years ago when I was applying to MA programs. I accidentally sent in my SOP with the wrong school name (the name of their rival program no less) and still got in :-) Also, last year I sent in a writing sample to the one Ivy I applied to with missing words from the last sentence; it made absolutely no sense...and I still got in! Seriously, don't over think these kind of small mistakes, especially if they are few and far between.

Good luck everybody!!

That might have been me. 

I remember reading that, too! I have to admit - it was a huge help. Not that it gave me free reign to be sloppy, but it gave me the dose of good sense that I needed to let go of my applications, and to send them off without too much obsessing. I have since gone back and read over my statements, and I haven't found a mistake... but that doesn't mean there isn't one, and hey, what are you going to do.

Is anyone still waiting on supplementary materials to be attached to their application? 

One of my letters of recommendation was not sent through the online system.  I have been able to confirm its receipt with all of my programs except one.  I keep imagining that the deparments have already begun to sort through applications and mine is still sitting in the admissions office marked as incomplete!

I fed-exed my writing sample and transcript to Toronto on Monday, and when I checked the tracking number online, I read that my package arrived on Tuesday; however, according to the supplemental materials page, it doesn't appear that the documents I sent were processed. While I'm sure this may have something to do with the deadline being this week, it's been a couple of days. How much longer should I wait to contact the graduate assistant at the Art History Department regarding my pending materials?

I fed-exed my writing sample and transcript to Toronto on Monday, and when I checked the tracking number online, I read that my package arrived on Tuesday; however, according to the supplemental materials page, it doesn't appear that the documents I sent were processed. While I'm sure this may have something to do with the deadline being this week, it's been a couple of days. How much longer should I wait to contact the graduate assistant at the Art History Department regarding my pending materials?

Contact her now. I contacted the department secretary twice, long before the deadlines, and she took FOREVER to get back to me. You'll probably end up leaving her a message if you call because she never answers her phone (I tried calling at random times so she'd pick up...didn't work) and it took her weeks to get back to me. My advice would be to attempt contact now and then hope by the time she responds it's been resolved.

Edited by Bearcat1

Thanks Bearcat. I also tried calling her a couple of times and there was no response, and I sent her an email this morning. When I checked the status of my application online, I read that my transcript  had not been received and that it missed the deadline or something like that.... Ugh, I would have sent everything sooner, but I took 21 credits this past semester and I wanted the good grades I received from the fall to be considered, and most of my scores didn't come in until last week, which is also when I ordered my transcripts. Nonetheless, I mailed everything before the deadline, so it's a bit discouraging when it says otherwise online.

I just received an automatic reply email that she will be back in the office Jan. 16th.... Well, I'm a little less concerned I guess.

That's good to know, for applications. Not so good in terms of hearing back about said applications. My application says "Documents Pending" because it shows that I need the proof of English proficiency. It's making me crazy, so I'm glad I can postpone this particular crazy until the end of next week. 

(WHO APPROVED HER BEING OUT OF THE OFFICE UNTIL NEXT WEEK??!??!)

so many people applying to Toronto!

add me to the list of 7 (now 8? 9?!)

How many will they accept? Let's decide it's that number.  ;)

Yeah, I applied as a direct-entry applicant, but now I'm starting to think that doing so was rather ambitious of me :P Oh well, I hope that the admissions committee will take me more seriously for the MA program if I'm not accepted for the Ph.D. However, I LOVEEE my POI; she's so funny, and having a POI with a sense of humor, someone who isn't entirely one-dimensional, is very important to me. This is not to say that all my POIs whom I've contacted don't demonstrate much depth beyond academics, but the conversation I had with the one at Toronto resonated very strongly with me. What a great Art History program that school has!

Edited by kunstgeschichtedude

I also applied to Toronto! 

And my application status is still "documents pending" though the all materials changed to 'received' yesterday.

Good luck to all of you and me!

Camille, did you take the TOEFL? I don't need it, but mine still says it's missing from my app.

Any applicants going to their grad conference this month?

I wish. I'm saving every penny for a move there (or elsewhere) so there are no other trips in my near future, unfortunately. Are you going?

Yeah, I applied as a direct-entry applicant, but now I'm starting to think that doing so was rather ambitious of me :P Oh well, I hope that the admissions committee will take me more seriously for the MA program if I'm not accepted for the Ph.D. However, I LOVEEE my POI; she's so funny, and having a POI with a sense of humor, someone who isn't entirely one-dimensional, is very important to me. This is not to say that all my POIs whom I've contacted don't demonstrate much depth beyond academics, but the conversation I had with the one at Toronto resonated very strongly with me. What a great Art History program that school has!

I spoke to my POI there (and everywhere else) by phone. When we spoke, he told me he'd spent some time thinking about how we would work together and how he would guide my proposed project, and then laid it all out. He must have thought about it for DAYS, because it was thoughtful and amazing and detailed and I was so blown away that he would take that much time with someone who wasn't a student yet. I'm so impressed with the whole program. Do they consider direct applicants for the MA program if they don't take you for the PhD? I already have an MA, so it's PhD or bust for me, with all my apps.

I also applied to Toronto! 

And my application status is still "documents pending" though the all materials changed to 'received' yesterday.

Good luck to all of you and me!

Yeah, I just checked mine too, but mine reads, "documents under review." O_O but I guess that could mean anything...

Yeah, I just checked mine too, but mine reads, "documents under review." O_O but I guess that could mean anything...

Now I'm panicking. Mine has said "Documents Pending" for weeks. The only thing missing is Proof of English, which I don't need because it's my first language. I'll be in the fetal position under my desk if anyone needs me.

Now I'm panicking. Mine has said "Documents Pending" for weeks. The only thing missing is Proof of English, which I don't need because it's my first language. I'll be in the fetal position under my desk if anyone needs me.

I don't think you should worry. Even though it read, "Under Review," it still shows that my Proof of English Proficiency is still not received. Also, you're a Master's student applying for the Ph.D. program, if I am not mistaken? I'm almost positive that when I contacted either the Grad Director or my POI, one of them told me that the committee goes through the Direct-Entry applications first, followed by the Ph.D. applications, and then finally the M.A. ones. Do not fret my friend! 

Edited by kunstgeschichtedude