FALL 2013 APPLICANTS!

Guest lefilsdhomme

Bearcat1, I am international student so I had to take TOEFL... and it took so long time that they marked their receipt of my score reporting. 

And don't be panic :) cause if something wrong, they will let you know or request something!

Anyone applied to USC?

Did you get the "call" for the interview?

I'm an international student so I don't know if the criteria is the same that with american students

I applied to USC, UCLA, NYU, Harvard, UFlorida, TwinCities and UCSB

Bearcat1, I am international student so I had to take TOEFL... and it took so long time that they marked their receipt of my score reporting.

And don't be panic :) cause if something wrong, they will let you know or request something!

Thank you! I'm feeling better about things at the moment. Probably won't last, but I had one day without being insane. Mostly. I think.

Just saw the name of a POI in my inbox. It was just something sent through H-Net. Gaaah.

Ugh. One of my LOR writers sent me an email about an article by one of my POIs with the POI's name in the subject line. NOT HELPFUL!!!

Anyone applied to USC?

Did you get the "call" for the interview?

I'm an international student so I don't know if the criteria is the same that with american students

I applied to USC, UCLA, NYU, Harvard, UFlorida, TwinCities and UCSB

I applied to USC but didn't get the call- did you?  I know that they invited people to campus this coming weekend.

Did anyone hear from UVA today?  I didn't, but know someone who did, about a Skype interview.  I don't know if this is a "no" but it sure feels like one.

Maybe it's an unusual circumstance? There are no interviews listed for them in previous years, although I know Northwestern is doing phone interviews for the first time this year, so it's possible that it's new. 

What I've heard from adcomm members at my program, and at a few others (although none that I've applied to) is that decisions are made before profs go out of town for CAA. Whether they inform before or after CAA seems to be random... or is it? Let's look at the numbers!

Culled from the GC results, I looked at earliest acceptance date to PhD programs. If the acceptance came a month or more after rejections, I noted WL for likely wait list admit. Those wait list admits as n/a when I looked at how many schools notify before CAA vs. after. I picked the 10 schools at the top of the "rankings" posted in the thread below as a sample group.

2007 - CAA Feb. 14-17th.

Berkeley: 3/5

Chicago: n/a

Columbia: 2/9

Yale: n/a

Princeton: 4/4 WL

NYU: 3/12

Harvard: 2/27

UCLA: 2/16

Northwestern: 4/4 WL

UNC: n/a

Notify before CAA: 1

Notify during CAA: 1

Notify after CAA: 3 

2008 - CAA Feb. 20-23rd.

Berkeley: 4/6 WL

Chicago: 1/30

Columbia: 3/6

Yale: 2/28

Princeton: 3/4

NYU: 3/1

Harvard: 3/4

UCLA: n/a

Northwestern: 3/3

UNC: 3/10

Notify during CAA: 0

Notify after CAA: 7

2009 - CAA Feb. 25-28th.

Berkeley: 2/11

Chicago: 3/3

Columbia: 2/14

Yale: 2/23

Princeton: 2/18

NYU: 3/12

Harvard: 3/2

Northwestern: 2/18

UNC: 3/17

Notify before CAA: 5

Notify after CAA: 4

2010 - CAA Feb. 10-13th.

Berkeley: n/a

Chicago: 1/31

Columbia: 2/14

Yale: 2/23

Princeton: 3/2

NYU: 4/10 WL

Harvard: 3/8

Northwestern: 2/18

UNC: 3/3

Notify after CAA: 6 (2 within a week)

2011 - CAA Feb. 9-12th.

Berkeley: 2/23

Chicago: 3/23 WL

Columbia: 3/4

Yale: 2/15

Princeton: 3/4

NYU: n/a

Harvard: n/a

UCLA: 2/18

Northwestern: 2/16

UNC: 3/1

Notify before CAA: 0

Notify after CAA: 7 (3 within a week)

2012 - CAA Feb. 22-25th.

Berkeley: 2/14

Chicago: 2/4

Columbia: 2/24

Yale: 2/20

Princeton: 2/2 (unofficially by call from POI - 2/8 was the more common acceptance)

NYU: 3/9

Harvard: 3/2

UCLA: 2/9

Northwestern: n/a

UNC: 3/14

Notify before CAA: 5

Notify during CAA: 1

Notify after CAA: 3  

Range of first notification:  

Berkeley: Feb. 11th - March 5th; mid Feb. most common.

Chicago: Jan. 30th - March 3rd; late Jan./early Feb. most common.

Columbia: Feb. 9th - March 6th; mid Feb. most common

Yale: Feb. 15th - Feb. 28th; mid - late Feb. most common.

Princeton: Feb. 8th - March 4th; early March most common.

NYU: March 1st - March 12th; early March most common.

Harvard: Feb. 27th - March 8th; early March most common.

UCLA: Feb. 9th - Feb. 18th; mid Feb. most common.

Northwestern: Feb. 16th - March 3rd; mid Feb. most common.

UNC: March 1st - March 17th; early - mid March most common.

Conclusions:

This was not a useful exercise. Programs tend to notify within a established date range <1 month, regardless of CAA. The years closest to 2013 regarding CAA timing are 2007 and 2011, and for both, decisions tended to come after the conference. 

Other conclusions:

This was a welcome distraction. The most popular notification date was February 14th. Admissions committees are so romantic.

I would be interested to see the application deadline dates attached for the specific years - this might be another indicator as to why the review dates were set. I know that this year, Berkeley's app was due by Dec. 10th, which was much, much earlier than any of my other ones. 

I would be interested to see the application deadline dates attached for the specific years - this might be another indicator as to why the review dates were set. I know that this year, Berkeley's app was due by Dec. 10th, which was much, much earlier than any of my other ones. 

I tried to look up previous deadlines but no luck. I made a spreadsheet of my deadlines in June, and most of them were still for last year. Only one of them changed when the current dates were posted, and it just moved dates to the same Friday (first Friday of January), so it didn't change much. I wish they would post the deadlines for their decisions!!!

Maybe it's an unusual circumstance? There are no interviews listed for them in previous years, although I know Northwestern is doing phone interviews for the first time this year, so it's possible that it's new. 

Yeah-- who knows.  It seems somewhat informal, so maybe it's not an official interview.  I emailed the grad director today about my visit and he said something about my "excellent application" so hopefully I'm not out of the running yet.

ahhhh

Is that info from a POI? Not accusatory, just curious!

The Northwestern interviews? I know someone in the program and it was announced at the faculty meeting, which was then reported to the students by the student rep who attends faculty meetings.

The Northwestern interviews? I know someone in the program and it was announced at the faculty meeting, which was then reported to the students by the student rep who attends faculty meetings.

ah... alright. it was a bit worrying for me to see this being mentioned as if it were common knowledge. i was actually neurotically trolling around the NW website thinking i'd missed some crucial info. perhaps i still did?

ah... alright. it was a bit worrying for me to see this being mentioned as if it were common knowledge. i was actually neurotically trolling around the NW website thinking i'd missed some crucial info. perhaps i still did?

No, this is the first time they are doing phone interviews, and it's not been announced or posted anywhere for applicants. I just have a spy on the inside so I have a little bit of info.  :ph34r: (A ninja is like a spy, right?)

Sorry for freaking anyone out!!!

Edited by Bearcat1

I know for the program I'm in now, it's up to the discretion of the POI whether they interview or not-- and whether they interview everyone, or just people they'd like more information from. So maybe that's the case with NW?

I went to an artist talk tonight and blissfully didn't think about my application for ~2 hrs!! Might need to pack my schedule full to keep this going...

I went to an artist talk tonight and blissfully didn't think about my application for ~2 hrs!! Might need to pack my schedule full to keep this going...

I need to find a bunch of stuff to do with every second of my free time...I'd love to not think about this for two hours! That sounds like heaven. 

(And I don't know about NW. The impression I got was that it would be everyone, but I guess we won't know anything until things start happening. My spy isn't willing to dig for info, they only pass along what falls into their lap. You get what you pay for, I guess.  ;) )

For a while I was sort of kicking myself for not applying to NW, but now I'm glad I didn't! I'm sure soon enough I'll have one of my schools to be super anxious about, though...

For a while I was sort of kicking myself for not applying to NW, but now I'm glad I didn't! I'm sure soon enough I'll have one of my schools to be super anxious about, though...

Because there might be interviews? I've already spoken to all of my POIs by phone, or I'd be totally freaking out. I'm great in person, but I suck on the phone...

Not the interviews themselves, but the potentiality of them/waiting to hear about them. I've had limited contact with my POIs, which makes me really nervous, actually...

Not the interviews themselves, but the potentiality of them/waiting to hear about them. I've had limited contact with my POIs, which makes me really nervous, actually...

But you're across the pond (I've always wanted to say that!), so your circumstances are different and they will all know that. I wouldn't be nervous about that at all. 

Also crazy. I'm trying to schedule every minute of my day so that I don't have time to think about how crazy. I created a syllabus for the language workbooks I'm trying to get through, with assignments and deadlines. If we can just make it through the next three and a half weeks, we'll hear something...right?!?!?

Most definitely!  I've got my time super planned out until I can reasonably expect to hear back from my programs (3 weeks or so).  Keeps me from going insane, or at least from realizing just how insane I've become! :wacko:

I hope you're right!

Just noticed a whole bunch of us here. I might pop into the chat for a bit if anyone wants to join! Anything to keep me from checking my email... (really should be doing reading, but oh well!)

Ugh, I almost hope that I won't get an interview by phone, because first my phone sucks and I can barely hear what people say (don't have enough money to buy a new one right now), and also my accent is harder to understand... oh well...