Fall 2013

grover3000

I got into Michigan today!  So excited!

Congratulations! Me too!

Those of y'all who got into UNC -- was it for LS or IS? I am going crazy waiting. 

I got accepted for the MSLS program, specializing in Archives and Records Management. 

I got into Michigan today!  So excited!

Congratulations! Me too!

I got accepted for the MSLS program, specializing in Archives and Records Management. 

Congrats to you both!  I was also accepted yesterday.  I applied for the Preservation of Information spec.   I was wondering, ho hard do you think it is to get into the program?  Because they gave no admissions stats and they aren't to be found anywhere on their site.   If it weren't Umich, that would be a giant red flag for me.

mepclu, I was also accepted into the MSLS program. Maybe they haven't sent out decisions about the IS program yet.

Thanks you guys! Congrats to both of you.

I am hoping they are doing IS separately with an Archives and Record Management concentration. I am actually a current SILS undergrad who really wants to stay put!

Edited by mepclu

Congrats to you both!  I was also accepted yesterday.  I applied for the Preservation of Information spec.   I was wondering, ho hard do you think it is to get into the program?  Because they gave no admissions stats and they aren't to be found anywhere on their site.   If it weren't Umich, that would be a giant red flag for me.

Congrats to both of you too!

I don't know.  I'm a current undergrad at Michigan and I know that they really encourage undergrads to apply to it (there were emails and postcards, but that's pretty typical for professional programs here--social work, urban planning, and the master of arts in education program all contacted me about the same amount as information), but I'm not sure what to make of that.  I would say it's definitely not the most selective program, though.

By the way, I really love Ann Arbor and the university (at least enough to consider staying for two more years).  I'm not trying to sway anyone's decision, but that is really how I feel  :).

Edited by sfh09

I don't know.  I'm a current undergrad at Michigan and I know that they really encourage undergrads to apply to it (there were emails and postcards, but that's pretty typical for professional programs here--social work, urban planning, and the master of arts in education program all contacted me about the same amount as information), but I'm not sure what to make of that.  I would say it's definitely not the most selective program, though.

By the way, I really love Ann Arbor and the university (at least enough to consider staying for two more years).  I'm not trying to sway anyone's decision, but that is really how I feel  :).

Thanks! That was my sense too, that it was not exactly exclusive.  I also got a postcard (I'm an employee).     I think it's because it's pretty much the newest program/school here (even though the Library school is obv. much older).    They're trying to grow it.  

That said, it sounds fun and exactly the kind of thing I am looking for, curriculum-wise.    

*shrug*     If I can afford it, I'm definitely going here.   Funding decisions in March, I heard.  

Thanks! That was my sense too, that it was not exactly exclusive.  I also got a postcard (I'm an employee).     I think it's because it's pretty much the newest program/school here (even though the Library school is obv. much older).    They're trying to grow it.  

That said, it sounds fun and exactly the kind of thing I am looking for, curriculum-wise.    

*shrug*     If I can afford it, I'm definitely going here.   Funding decisions in March, I heard.  

Agreed on all counts  :)

Thanks! Congratulations to you too!

Thanks you guys! Congrats to both of you.

I am hoping they are doing IS separately with an Archives and Record Management concentration. I am actually a current SILS undergrad who really wants to stay put!

Thanks! Maybe they are reviewing the applications separately by degree. When did you submit your application? I submitted mine in early December. Good luck! I hope it all works out for you.

Thanks! Congratulations to you too!

I also got the sense that they take in a lot of students. On their website it says that there are 381 master's degree students. With it being a two-year program, I would assume that each year's cohort would be about half that number. I'm not sure how that number breaks down in terms of the number of students in each specialization though. And with the price tag of tuition (at least for us out-of-state folks), I would imagine that even more students are accepted but don't enroll. Waiting on the funding decisions is getting a bit nerve-wracking. 

Got my acceptance to Simmons College in the mail two days ago!  I literally started hyperventilating and crying in the mail room.  I'm still waiting to hear back from everywhere else.  My parents are really rooting for UIUC.  For me, I'm torn between Simmons and UIUC.  Is there anyone out there who has thoughts one way or the other?  All contingent upon application decisions and funding, but program-wise, it seems like they're both solid programs for youth services.  Advice would be much appreciated.  :)

Congrats on your acceptances Whitepony16! Both of these schools have excellent reputations, but I have no personal knowledge of their youth services programs. Choosing a school is such a personal choice its really hard to give advice as to which program to choose when I don't know you or your preferences. Perhaps you should call both schools and speak with someone to get a better feel for the schools, or if you get a chance to visit the schools in person that might be very helpful as well. Perhaps you should consider each school's location because that can matter as some people have preferences for what type of city or area they would like to live in. Also, like you said once you have a good idea of how much each program will cost that might steer your decision. Ultimately, I guess you will have to do some research and soul searching to come to the decision that will be the best fit for you. Good luck!

Got my acceptance to Simmons College in the mail two days ago!

Congratulations! I applied to Simmons as well. How many weeks did it take? I'm dying to hear back, but I submitted on January 31st.

Thanks! Maybe they are reviewing the applications separately by degree. When did you submit your application? I submitted mine in early December. Good luck! I hope it all works out for you.

I submitted Dec. 10th. I am making myself wait till March 1st before I go and bug the admin office. It is ridiculously hard walking by there everyday and not popping my head in to ask!

Edited by mepclu

Congrats everyone!  I saw a few results from Rutgers.  I applied as well, but my application still shows "no decision." Anyone else seeing this message?

Edited by Grimm101

Just got an email from UMD recommending me for admission to the Graduate School! :D

I'm so excited, I just hope the Graduate School makes their final decision quickly. I am a very anxious student & I don't want to be in limbo for too long.

I was also accepted to Pratt last Thursday, but I didn't feel anything. No excitement, no crying, no jumping up & down screaming. I should've been happy that I received my first acceptance, but I felt nothing. :mellow: I think that's a pretty good sign that I shouldn't go there. However, I gotta wait until I receive an official acceptance from UMD (or my first choice, CUA). I don't want to turn down Pratt before I secure a place somewhere else.

Congrats to everyone!

I saw the Maryland result and immediately went to check my app. Of course the Maryland app isn't working right now! :( Hopefully I'll know soon. Though I am *really* waiting to hear back from South Carolina.

I submitted Dec. 10th. I am making myself wait till March 1st before I go and bug the admin office. It is ridiculously hard walking by there everyday and not popping my head in to ask!

I'm surprised that they haven't notified you yet since you submitted your application not all that long after me. I don't know how you can fight the urge to ask, haha. If I could actually ask in person, I don't think I'd be able to restrain myself. 

Just got an email from UMD recommending me for admission to the Graduate School! :D

I'm so excited, I just hope the Graduate School makes their final decision quickly. I am a very anxious student & I don't want to be in limbo for too long.

I was also accepted to Pratt last Thursday, but I didn't feel anything. No excitement, no crying, no jumping up & down screaming. I should've been happy that I received my first acceptance, but I felt nothing. :mellow: I think that's a pretty good sign that I shouldn't go there. However, I gotta wait until I receive an official acceptance from UMD (or my first choice, CUA). I don't want to turn down Pratt before I secure a place somewhere else.

Congratulations! I got the same kind of email from UMD yesterday too. I thought it was kind of odd that they would send out such a conditional email. Why not just wait until the Graduate School approves the recommendation? Although, I can't imagine that there would be too many circumstances in which they would reject the recommendation of the actual program itself. 

I was accepted at the University of Pittsburgh!! This is one of my top choices so I am super excited!

Congratulations!

I was accepted too!

Congratulations to you both! Hopefully the funding situation there will be better this year, for everyone's sake. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, there wasn't really any funding available for master's students last year when I was accepted. 

Congratulations! I got the same kind of email from UMD yesterday too. I thought it was kind of odd that they would send out such a conditional email. Why not just wait until the Graduate School approves the recommendation? Although, I can't imagine that there would be too many circumstances in which they would reject the recommendation of the actual program itself. 

Congrats to you too! I'm sure the iSchool is just trying to be encouraging, but it's only made me 10 times more anxious! I honestly didn't think I would even get in, since I've read that they are very selective, so now I actually have to consider the possibility of attending UMD.

I don't have a typical undergrad background, so I'm hoping the Graduate School doesn't find something disagreeable in my app that the iSchool was willing to overlook.

I have been checking the forum quite frequently, so once you (or anyone else) is formally accepted to UMD, please post it here to share.

Good luck! :)

Congrats to you too! I'm sure the iSchool is just trying to be encouraging, but it's only made me 10 times more anxious! I honestly didn't think I would even get in, since I've read that they are very selective, so now I actually have to consider the possibility of attending UMD.

I don't have a typical undergrad background, so I'm hoping the Graduate School doesn't find something disagreeable in my app that the iSchool was willing to overlook.

I have been checking the forum quite frequently, so once you (or anyone else) is formally accepted to UMD, please post it here to share.

Good luck! :)

Yeah, I suppose they probably were trying to be encouraging. I honestly wasn't expecting to hear anything from them this soon since the application deadline was just at the beginning of this month. I understand that it's hard not to be anxious about it, but I would imagine that you'll probably be fine. If you were good enough that the people who run the actual program accepted you, then I doubt that anyone else will raise objections. I'd guess that it's more of a bureaucratic formality than anything else. And it seems that a lot of these programs attract students with varied backgrounds, so I wouldn't worry too much about having a "typical" background. 

I'll definitely let you know once I hear from UMD about a formal acceptance. Thanks! Good luck to you too!

I contacted a grad coordinator at Texas about when they would send out decisions. According to her we're gonna be notified by the end of March.

Oh, man!  I can't stand it!  Haha.

I only applied there, so I'm kind of lucky insofar as I don't have to juggle decisions.  But... sheesh!