Fall 2013

grover3000

Just received my acceptance email from UofToronto for Masters of Info Science!! Yay!! Kinda stupid because it was the only program/school I applied for. 

For those of you still waiting, stay strong. Your acceptance will come when you least expect it. :)

Maryland's app system seems to be down for me (it shows me an uncompleted application when I know for a fact it's complete) which is frustrating because since y'all are hearing, I want to check.

My South Carolina app has changed from "New " to "Decision" but then the second line says "Decision Pending." What in the name of Merlin does that mean?

Maryland's app system seems to be down for me (it shows me an uncompleted application when I know for a fact it's complete) which is frustrating because since y'all are hearing, I want to check.

My South Carolina app has changed from "New " to "Decision" but then the second line says "Decision Pending." What in the name of Merlin does that mean?

Maryland doesn't show the admission decision in the online application system. They only sent me an email. If I click "check application status," it merely says, "Your application is now complete. It is currently being processed or soon will be. Thanks. If the status of your application is 'COMPLETE', that indicates that all required support documents have been received and that your file is ready to be reviewed for decision. After the review is completed, you will receive a letter with the decision recommendation in the mail. Decision information cannot be given out over the phone or in email correspondence." Thinking about it now, that would make sense as to why the email I received was worded in such a conditional manner. The email did mention that once the Graduate School makes its decision about the program's recommendation for acceptance, it will send a letter in the mail. 

But if your online application still says that the application is incomplete, I would try sending an email to make sure that they have everything. It might just be a glitch on their end, but I'd still check just to be safe. I know that mine didn't change over to "complete" until several weeks after I had submitted everything simply because it took an absurd amount of time for them to receive/process the transcript for one of my previous degrees. So it's possible that it might be something minor like that where it's not an issue on your end but rather on theirs. 

UNC grad coordinator says Information Science decisions should be out end of this week or beginning of next. Can someone please press the fast forward button now?!?

And yes I caved. I couldn't make it till March 1st.

Edited by mepclu

I second everything bluebros wrote.

I just got off the phone with UMD's Graduate School. While they do not have an official estimate of how long it will take to process recommended applications, I was told that I could expect an official within the next few weeks (no later than a month). Letters are sent in mail and your status in ASF will change from "Complete" to "Accepted". The woman that I spoke with also told me that, essentially, the Graduate School follows the iSchool's recommendations, so if you receive a recommendation, you're basically in! :D

Annieca: Even if your application is processed by the iSchool & you are formally recommended for admission, the Graduate School will not make a final determination on your application until all of your documents have been received and your application is considered "Complete" according to ASF's "Check Application Status". I had an issue with my transcripts in January (USPS never scanned them as "delivered" & I was worried they had been lost in the mail), & when I contacted the Graduate School by email ( gradschool@umd.edu ), they responded within 2 business days & changed my application status to "Complete". I would highly recommend contacting them ASAP to confirm that all of your documents have been received. If not, it may hold up your application & you would be accepted on a conditional basis.

Thanks, Sir Frankie!  I'm still waiting to hear from Pitt.  My application status says "pending faculty review."  I noticed there were a few acceptances already and wondering if I should throw in the towel or perhaps they review applications in batches? 

Congratulations! I applied to Simmons as well. How many weeks did it take? I'm dying to hear back, but I submitted on January 31st.

I just got my acceptance letter from Simmons in the mail today! It took about five weeks from the time my application was completed. You'll most likely hear back within the next two weeks. Good luck!

UNC grad coordinator says Information Science decisions should be out end of this week or beginning of next. Can someone please press the fast forward button now?!?

And yes I caved. I couldn't make it till March 1st.

Haha, I don't blame you one bit for caving. Judging by your signature, it looks like you were accepted. Congratulations!

Thanks, Sir Frankie!  I'm still waiting to hear from Pitt.  My application status says "pending faculty review."  I noticed there were a few acceptances already and wondering if I should throw in the towel or perhaps they review applications in batches? 

I wouldn't throw in the towel yet on Pitt. I think they do them in batches. I got accepted there last year and found out the first week of March. 

Congrats to you too! I'm sure the iSchool is just trying to be encouraging, but it's only made me 10 times more anxious! I honestly didn't think I would even get in, since I've read that they are very selective, so now I actually have to consider the possibility of attending UMD.

I don't have a typical undergrad background, so I'm hoping the Graduate School doesn't find something disagreeable in my app that the iSchool was willing to overlook.

I have been checking the forum quite frequently, so once you (or anyone else) is formally accepted to UMD, please post it here to share.

Good luck! :)

I just found out from UMD yesterday that my acceptance is official. They sent an emailing saying that my final decision was available and that I needed to check the online application system. From there I was able to download a copy of the official acceptance letter. It said a copy will be mailed out as well. 

I just found out from UMD yesterday that my acceptance is official. They sent an emailing saying that my final decision was available and that I needed to check the online application system. From there I was able to download a copy of the official acceptance letter. It said a copy will be mailed out as well. 

Congrats on your official acceptance from UMD! & all your other acceptances as well. I still haven't received a final determination from UMD, but I'm sure it will come shortly.

Not sure what I'm going to do if I'm officially accepted. UMD was my third choice, & I didn't expect to get in. I don't think I want to go there, but I'd probably regret declining their acceptance if I were to receive a nice funding package.

Here I am stressing out about choosing between 2 programs when you have 5 to choose from! & in such diverse locations too. Good luck, & may lots of funding head your way.

Got admitted to University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign yesterday- on-campus masters in library science :) It was the only place I applied soooo thankful I got in! Has anyone else be accepted or heard about funding??

Got admitted to University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign yesterday- on-campus masters in library science :) It was the only place I applied soooo thankful I got in! Has anyone else be accepted or heard about funding??

Congratulations!  I was accepted to UIUC last week.  From what I gather, funding decisions are made in April/May.  I'm waiting to hear back to from two more schools before I make my decision. 

Hey everyone. New here. 

Accepted to Pitt -- my top (and only) school. 

Anyone else heading to accepted students day in March?

Congratulations!

I wish I could go, but I have obligations at school that day and Michigan accepted student days start the next day (and I'm already in town for those...).  I wish it was the next weekend--I'm going to be in Pittsburgh for completely unrelated reasons.

On that note, is anyone else going to the Michigan visiting days?

Congrats on your official acceptance from UMD! & all your other acceptances as well. I still haven't received a final determination from UMD, but I'm sure it will come shortly.

Not sure what I'm going to do if I'm officially accepted. UMD was my third choice, & I didn't expect to get in. I don't think I want to go there, but I'd probably regret declining their acceptance if I were to receive a nice funding package.

Here I am stressing out about choosing between 2 programs when you have 5 to choose from! & in such diverse locations too. Good luck, & may lots of funding head your way.

Thanks! Congratulations on your acceptances as well. While I do have five schools to choose from at the moment, I have a feeling that they will start making the decision a lot easier for me once I hear about funding. For some reason it seems like funding is a lot harder to come by in these types of programs than it was in the ones that I got my previous graduate degrees. I'm not exactly sure why that is, but hopefully at least one of these schools will work out well for me. Good luck with your funding situation too! 

Hey everyone. New here. 

Accepted to Pitt -- my top (and only) school. 

Anyone else heading to accepted students day in March?

Congratulations! I'm thinking about going, but I'm not sure because, as sfh09  mentioned, Michigan visiting days start the day after that. And while I'd be happy to enroll at Pitt (it's my "local" choice), I'm not sure that I'll have any better luck there this year than I did last year in terms of funding when it was the only school I applied to. 

Congratulations!

I wish I could go, but I have obligations at school that day and Michigan accepted student days start the next day (and I'm already in town for those...).  I wish it was the next weekend--I'm going to be in Pittsburgh for completely unrelated reasons.

On that note, is anyone else going to the Michigan visiting days?

As of now, I'm planning to attend the Michigan visiting days. Unless something drastically changes in my schedule, I'll be making the trip to Ann Arbor. I'm surprised that it's a three-day thing. Perhaps it's intended to make the trip more worthwhile for people traveling long distances. If it was a bit shorter, I'd be more inclined to commit to attending Pitt's visiting days as well. Four consecutive days of "orientation" types of sessions/activities is a bit much, especially when I'm not even really sure if I'll be able to afford to enroll at either school. 

Ahh, I'm getting sooo anxious! I checked my UMD application status; it says I'm missing documents, but I know I'm not. D:

Congrats to you all! Should we have an acceptance thread??

Well just got a rejection from UT Austin yesterday. I'm in at UCLA though. Waiting on UW and UBC then it's decision time. I hope everyone gets the news they need soon...the waiting is awful. Also, have fun in Ann Arbor Bluebros....I lived there for over 10 years. It's a great place to live.

Ahh, I'm getting sooo anxious! I checked my UMD application status; it says I'm missing documents, but I know I'm not. D:

Alaina13, I would highly recommend contacting the Graduate School ASAP. I had a similar issue & only after my application status was changed to "Complete" did the iSchool receive it for review.

Good luck!

Annieca: Even if your application is processed by the iSchool & you are formally recommended for admission, the Graduate School will not make a final determination on your application until all of your documents have been received and your application is considered "Complete" according to ASF's "Check Application Status". I had an issue with my transcripts in January (USPS never scanned them as "delivered" & I was worried they had been lost in the mail), & when I contacted the Graduate School by email ( gradschool@umd.edu ), they responded within 2 business days & changed my application status to "Complete". I would highly recommend contacting them ASAP to confirm that all of your documents have been received. If not, it may hold up your application & you would be accepted on a conditional basis.

Alaina13, I would highly recommend contacting the Graduate School ASAP. I had a similar issue & only after my application status was changed to "Complete" did the iSchool receive it for review.

Good luck!

I just received an email from them and they waived my GRE scores, but still haven't taken the missing transcript off. I really hope this doesn't mess up my chances of getting in :(

The last school I am waiting to hear back from, Emporia State University, sent me an email today inviting me to interview. (Their admissions process requires an interview) So I am all set to interview on March 7th. It's a 90 minute interview and I am kind of nervous about it. It isn't a nationally recognized program but I think it has a solid program and I think I have a good chance of getting a Graduate Assistant position to fund the degree. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

I just received an email from them and they waived my GRE scores, but still haven't taken the missing transcript off. I really hope this doesn't mess up my chances of getting in :(

I think as long as you've called it to their attention, you should be ok. In their emailed reply, did they happen to mention anything about your transcripts? You could always request that your undergrad resend your transcript to UMD.

I had a similar issue with Pratt, which I posted in "Admissions Depts: The Good, Bad & Ugly".

Edited by LIS Hopeful