Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

I'm fine most days, but once every week or so, I'll have a hyper-realistic dream about getting into one of my schools and wake up feeling like a million bucks, only to realize it wasn't reality. O, cruel fate, why taunt me with these dreams.

Awwww... I've been having the same dreams. Sigh...

I received an email from a school that I had to resend my GRE scores because they were lost somehow the first time, and they said that they received them. I got the email right before I saw that people were getting invites. I'm laughing to keep from crying.

Edited by ion_exchanger

^ Could be worse, you could be rejected the day you had that dream.

Anyway...

Yes. For my programs you have to make a contact with a professor and be accepted by them to get into the program. OUt of all 4 schools I've only heard one email response since October and haven't gotten emailed back since November and it's making me extra scared. I know they're busy but the anxious part of me wants to say lol you suck, no one wants to talk to you.

Edited by budgiepie

I am seriously losing my mind. I'm staring at my iPhone's email inbox, wishing that I had received the invite to one of my top choices that went out today.The one email account that I created solely for graduate school applications receives a new email. I stare, panic, open. Yahoo generated email. :angry:

I know there's an element of the irrational, emotional, "You don't want me? Fine, I don't want you either," but right now I feel like I'm going to be so raked over the coals by the end of this that I won't even want to go to grad school.

False. This has been (at least for me) the most nerve-wracking part - waiting.

Okay, I fibbed. I thought it'd be the worst part.

Like you guys said, I was wrong. Welcome to the worst holiday break I've ever had...

I've recently become obsessed with these forums. If I'm not actually filling out my apps then I want to read about other people working on their apps...and when I'm not doing that, I'm probably dreaming about them. Ughhhh....

lol @ion_exchanger

I'm actually surprised at how quiet they are this year. Does that mean that less people are applying or that people are more calm??? I'm thinking that everyone will really start freaking out in about 3 weeks. That's my bet.

This is my first year following the forum, I just heard about it a month ago. I thought that maybe it was calm now because there are a lot of Dec 15th and Jan 1st deadlines, so after the new year things will pick up as people are back from vacation. According to the results page of grad cafe, 5 out of 7 of my programs won't send out invites until at least January 10th.

@ Macchiato and everyone else obsessed with this place

And here I was thinking that I'm the only obsessed lurker haha. I got invites from my two safeties, but I'm waiting on the bigger names... and invites for them have already started going around :/

Congrats, rael!

I'm so jealous of the sciences right now since they are already starting to get interviews.

My programs dont start sending out interview invites until about the end of Jan, but I keeping checking my status anyway on my apps to see if my status has suddenly changed to "Under Review" or "Accepted." lol lol Ok, that last one is just funny.... Can't believe I'm going through this process again.

Ever since the due date of my apps, I've been checking the status twice a day, knowing that there won't be a change yet. Even the school where I have an interview hasn't changed my status. I don't know what I'm looking for. I don't know who I am anymore, lol.

lol @ion_exchanger

I'm actually surprised at how quiet they are this year. Does that mean that less people are applying or that people are more calm??? I'm thinking that everyone will really start freaking out in about 3 weeks. That's my bet.

Pretty much only the December 1 due date apps have results out. In a week, the December 15 ones will start to trickle out and in three-four weeks, the forum will explode in activity, jubilation, despair, and panic.

Pretty much only the December 1 due date apps have results out. In a week, the December 15 ones will start to trickle out and in three-four weeks, the forum will explode in activity, jubilation, despair, and panic.

My Dec 1 and 15 apps are still in a state of silence. No word from them yet...

Isn't that what professors do on holiday break...review apps???????

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy nottttttttttt?!

I really don't know where they find the time to do all this stuff. One of my LOR is on 13 committees and teaching 4 classes on top of managing his lab.

Also I am FLIPPING OUT. Every day is just so much stress.

My Dec 1 and 15 apps are still in a state of silence. No word from them yet...

Isn't that what professors do on holiday break...review apps???????

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy nottttttttttt?!

Don't despair; I don't mean to say ALL Dec 1 results are out, just that any that are out are likely the Dec 1 ones. I think the crush of Dec 15 results will begin to trickle out around New Years.

I think different disciplines have different notification deadlines. One of my application deadlines was Dec 11, but I'm pretty sure I won't hear anything back from them until at least mid-Feb. I'm kind of jealous of the life sciences folks because as disappointing as it is to get a rejection, at least most of you don't have to wait til feb-march to hear back from your programs.

The only downside to us science folks knowing earlier is that seeing everyone getting interview invites gives us an early unofficial rejection, which can lower confidence. Then the official rejections come a couple months later, which you were expecting but still suck.

Yea. Got to have a fun breakdown over Christmas and spent most of the time just trying to find the times that people got accepted. Which is really funny since half my schools have Jan 1st deadlines. Trigger because i didn't see a single acceptance for my number one school on this website, all rejections.

Also my gfs brother getting his first acceptance letter for engineering school didn't help....

Edited by gradorbust