Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I've had an admission fairy tale. 

There was one school I was looking at that only accepts four students a year. FOUR. It was SO competitive and the current students seemed SO ridiculously accomplished ... I thought the program was amazing but that I had a snowball's chance in hell of getting in. Didn't apply. 

After the deadline came and went, I became filled with regret that I hadn't at least TRIED. In a bout of anxiety over Christmas break (nearly a month after the deadline), I went to look at the website one last time, and bemoan "what could have been."

Lo and behold, I saw that the deadline had been extended. ... to one week after I happened to check the website. I still had time. 

I whipped together one last application and fired it off. It came together in an oddly beautiful and easy fashion.

"Surely my rec letter writers won't get my request in time ... it's Christmas, they're not checking their email!" To my surprise all three of my writers responded to my late "one last upload?" request on the same day.

"Of course my GRE scores won't get there in time! Those take weeks!" Bizarrely, this time they got there in just a few days, in fact the exact DAY of the new deadline. 

Still, I thought there was no chance. I hadn't contacted any POIs or established any relationship, I'd never visited campus, I'd named only one POI in my SOP. BUT at least I tried, right?

Imagine my shock when I got a phone call a few months later. Admitted with full funding. 

Fairy tales do come true. 

A HUGE congrats to you!! :) 

I'm still waiting from my top choice... I know that my top choice also has the April 15 deadline to give me time to decide on an admission offer (if I am admitted) so I hope they send a decision soon to give me enough time to think (not that I plan to hold my acceptance as long as possible or anything, but an admission at least two weeks prior to the deadline would be nice).

In the past 2 days I have had interview requests from 2 schools whose deadline was within the past month. Very excited, however I have still yet to hear from my first choice program where the deadline is now over 3 months ago. Granted I don't think others who have applied for the program at this school have heard but I mean, really!

Has anyone heard anything from the Scripps Institution of Oceanography?

A rumor I encountered is that the geoscience division is the only one who has sent out admissions decisions. Are there any biological oceanography PhD prospectives out there who have heard anything? My POI is not devulging anything, and the SIO graduate department instructed me to just keep waiting. Aaaah!  Yes, I am going out of my mind...

To Thistle399 - I applied for a DPhil at Oxford for the January deadline. I had my interview last week, and was told they would notify me of their decision by the end of this week. Still I have heard nothing, but I remain hopeful. My department is not History, but the graduate staff within my department are quite transparent, and if your department is anything similar, perhaps a checking-in email could provide insight. That is what I did, and how I learned about both my Clarendon status and that I had been selected for an interview. It is worth a try!

Anyone applying for a DPhil at Oxford??

I applied to the History program and the website says that decisions come out in "late March".... anyone have a sense whether this is an accurate timeline?

Received my offer yesterday. :)

I got an unofficial acceptance to one of my top choice schools (thank goodness). The department recommended me for admission and the graduate school just has to give its stamp of approval and send me an official acceptance. At first I was so excited and relieved, especially since I've received only bad news or silence from my other programs. Now I feel like I'm going to explode if I don't have a definitive answer and funding information. Especially funding. I'm terrified of being admitted with no funding or terrible funding.

I got an unofficial acceptance to one of my top choice schools (thank goodness). The department recommended me for admission and the graduate school just has to give its stamp of approval and send me an official acceptance. At first I was so excited and relieved, especially since I've received only bad news or silence from my other programs. Now I feel like I'm going to explode if I don't have a definitive answer and funding information. Especially funding. I'm terrified of being admitted with no funding or terrible funding.

Funding is the word of the day for me....I feel like everyday is a battle with anxiety and endless waitinnnnggggggg....

Thanks! Funding comes through a TA position which is supposed to be fairly competitive, although I do have experience from my masters program, so I think I have a leg up. I'm hoping for the best!

I don't know if its too late now, but i'm king of giving up on grad school!

I haven't gotten any acceptances either, but until I get the last rejection, I won't give up.  And even though it pains me to think of doing it all again next year (not to mention finding a way to keep myself afloat during the coming year), I can't imagine giving up on my dreams in the long run either.  If this is Mount Everest, I've reached the last encampment before the summit.  If I turn back now, I'll be a..... partial mountaineer?  Or in this case, a partial scientist.

You've still got three schools to go!  I only have one.  Don't give up faith just yet.

Edited by floatingmolecule

Going insane had interview via skype yesterday much shorter than I thought it would be, then this morning I get an email from the finical aid office about my package (I filled out a FASA for everything just in case). I log in and see it accept or decline award, now I am confused. Log into the other portal still listed as under review.

Fake out?

Omen?

Going to stress me out for the two weeks they said it would take to get back to me? YES

I found it appropriate to post here as there has been total silence from my department. No acceptances, rejections or waitlists posted at all and it's late March. It sort of plays with your head when the head because I can't be sure if anyone has been notified or not, though it seems late in the season. At this point I don't know if I have been waitlisted, rejected, if the committee has even looked at my app, or if I've been lost altogether. Application deadline was back in January so...tick tock...lol

I applied to Missouri University, Texas Tech and University of Oklahoma, MS in Petroleum Engineering. I am pretty sure they all are gonna reject me. My GRE is very low 139-verbal, and 152-math. As a backup I applied to Wright University and University of Dayton for Renewable and clean energy engineering. Is anyone know anything about Renewable Energy Programs 

It's Thursday, interview was last Monday, they said up to 2 weeks so yes technically I know it means this coming Monday, but I just want to be able to shout from the rooftops my amazing news. 

“People tend to be generous when sharing their nonsense, fear, and ignorance. And while they seem quite eager to feed you their negativity, please remember that sometimes the diet we need to be on is a spiritual and emotional one. Be cautious with what you feed your mind and soul. Fuel yourself with positivity and let that fuel propel you into positive action.” 
― Steve Maraboli, Unapologetically You: Reflections on Life and the Human Experience

Patience is not a virtue I pretend to have at this point in time. Still on the wait list at my dream school with no idea if-when-or-how the first few candidates will make their decision. Somebody, anybody.... tell me SOMETHING. 

Good luck everyone! 

Hi all, I'm losing my mind from having to decide. I'm supposed to write two 20-pagers this week and do a presentation, but all I can think about which program I should choose.

I have until next Friday and I honestly think I'm losing it.