Jump to content

Anyone else losing their damn mind?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally an acceptance!!!!!! Gahhhhhhhh! thank you thank you thank you <3

Dear AdCom Gods and Goddesses, Its me, the student who got in all of her apps and paperwork weeks before the deadline. You know the one who normally gets everything in late but thought that applying

Three quarters of the story would be the student staring blankly at an unresponsive email account.

Rejection from top choice today. If my mind wasn't already gone it most definitely is now

 

I got two rejections in email and one over the phone. 

 

My mind was lost a few hours ago...

Link to post
Share on other sites

YES!!! MEE!!!!! I keep having sleepless nights. Like as soon as i'm going to go to bed it comes to me that I'm going to get rejected. And then the dreams that go with it. I've been rejected by e-mail, letter, phone, and last night i even dreamed a singing gram was delivered to me saying i got rejected. I'm just all nerves since my application isn't as great as the other thousands of applicants. But i miss being in school and I'm ready to learn and excel in this area of study I chose. I'm just afraid they haven't seen it. So far I got two generic emails one notifying me they were missing my test scores and the other about applying for FAFSA by the 28th but nothing else. I really don't feel confident. I have great letter of recommendations and statement of purpose. I even studied abroad. However, I was a slightly above average student and all I have is volunteer experience. So I'm concerned my application isn't as strong and they won't see what a great addition I could be or my potential. This is more nerving than undergrad. Anyone have any tips to help give me peace of mind???

 

I feel your pain! It's totally normal to feel like you won't get in (I'm going through it right now, and my friend did a while back). What I do to take my mind off of it is keep myself busy: listen to music, watch TV, read, hang with friends. I try and not think about decisions and I don't look back at my application because I know I'm gonna find something that I should've changed. I just let it be. It's easier said than done but it's possible. You'll get into a program, or two, for sure! :)

 

By the way, is mid-March the time when decisions definitely come out, or can programs make their decisions earlier or even (yikes!) later?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh, i'm SO ready just to make a decision already! I've already heard back (and was accepted) to three good programs and I'm having such a hard time deciding. This is an awesome problem to have (of course, sooooo thankful) but all three want answers. AND i'm still waiting to hear back from two more schools.

 

I have no idea where i'm going to end up going. They are all good for different reasons, and they all feel like legitimate reasons! I wish the last two schools would hurry up so I could get this over with and move on with my life.

 

Sorry...I'm a bit cynical. I've totally lost my mind. Usually I'm a pleasant person

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sick today - all sinus pressure and gunk - and it's making me extremely irritable. I want decisions and I want them now! Come on people - how hard is it to say "yes" or "no?"

 

Sorry, I'm ready for this all to be over. My current acceptances are wonderful, but they are only going to happen if I get scholarships and loans.

 

I'd love to hear some good news! (<---"news" said like "dews" because I'm all stuffed up!!)  :wacko:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh, i'm SO ready just to make a decision already! I've already heard back (and was accepted) to three good programs and I'm having such a hard time deciding. This is an awesome problem to have (of course, sooooo thankful) but all three want answers. AND i'm still waiting to hear back from two more schools.

 

I have no idea where i'm going to end up going. They are all good for different reasons, and they all feel like legitimate reasons! I wish the last two schools would hurry up so I could get this over with and move on with my life.

 

Sorry...I'm a bit cynical. I've totally lost my mind. Usually I'm a pleasant person

+1 on this.

 

I'm waiting for 3 more programs. And I really want to make a decision so badly. I have so many things to do, especially I'm an international student and have to go through those visa, financial statement, or loan stuff (if I don't get funding). But I'm so ready to start my semester in this field.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

So just a question, but whats stopping the two of you from making a decision out of what you have? You could look at the offers that you do have and decide out of them which you would take and then compare it to any offers you get later. 

 

Just sounds like if you really want to decide something you can, and then those schools aren't waiting to hear from those programs as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So just a question, but whats stopping the two of you from making a decision out of what you have? You could look at the offers that you do have and decide out of them which you would take and then compare it to any offers you get later. 

 

Just sounds like if you really want to decide something you can, and then those schools aren't waiting to hear from those programs as well. 

 

Funding decisions - that's what's stopping me, at least. I have no idea what kind of scholarships I may or may not get since those apps were just due last week. And even with those scholarships, those schools to which I've been accepted only cover tuition and not living expenses. 

 

The remaining schools on my list all have better scholarship options or funding. Sure, I can make a decision now and I have in my head, but I can't move forward with the necessary to-do-list (like polaromonas I'm international as well), until the money issue is sorted.

 

Thus, I feel like I'm in some sort of grad school admissions purgatory until other schools notify.  :mellow:

Edited by theregalrenegade
Link to post
Share on other sites

So just a question, but whats stopping the two of you from making a decision out of what you have? You could look at the offers that you do have and decide out of them which you would take and then compare it to any offers you get later. 

 

Just sounds like if you really want to decide something you can, and then those schools aren't waiting to hear from those programs as well. 

 

I'm actually waiting on funding as well. One school said they intend to make a fellowship offer but hasn't yet. The other school is higher ranked, but funding may not happen at all there. I cant really just reject the lower ranked school without knowing what they might be able to give me, and if they dont give me anything significant I'll probably go with the higher ranked school.

 

And like I said, I'm having a very very hard time deciding between the two programs. They are both good, and frankly I didnt think I would be accpeted to both. I'd like to reject an offer and give a spot to someone on the waitlist, I get that its super stressful waiting, but I just don't know yet. Its a process I guess.

 

Also, I anticipate having a very hard time deciding, even after I hear back about the money. I struggle to make decisions without all the information. I'm really hoping that knowing what all my options are will help bring some clarity. I figure its still early enough that I'm not committing some massive injustice to the waitlist people by taking a bit more time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm actually waiting on funding as well. One school said they intend to make a fellowship offer but hasn't yet. The other school is higher ranked, but funding may not happen at all there. I cant really just reject the lower ranked school without knowing what they might be able to give me, and if they dont give me anything significant I'll probably go with the higher ranked school.

 

And like I said, I'm having a very very hard time deciding between the two programs. They are both good, and frankly I didnt think I would be accpeted to both. I'd like to reject an offer and give a spot to someone on the waitlist, I get that its super stressful waiting, but I just don't know yet. Its a process I guess.

 

Also, I anticipate having a very hard time deciding, even after I hear back about the money. I struggle to make decisions without all the information. I'm really hoping that knowing what all my options are will help bring some clarity. I figure its still early enough that I'm not committing some massive injustice to the waitlist people by taking a bit more time.

 

No waiting to hear back on the money aspect makes perfect sense to me. I would have a hard time making any kind of a decision if I wasn't sure if I was funded or not

Link to post
Share on other sites
No, inquiring at this point will not change the outcome as long as you are not harrassing them (one call is not harrassing). Personally I cant imagine you going on a trip is going to make them tell you the results sooner, unless they have a policy that says the can tell you. If you are accepted while you are abroad, you need to find a way to accept or decline so I hope you have that all sorted before you leave. Good luck!
Thanks! Ooh, I will need to find out how to decline or accept while abroad. Maybe that's a good excuse to call them! ;)
Link to post
Share on other sites

Despite all the interviews, and even the one acceptance (which is conditional on finding an advisor willing to fund me), all seven of the schools I applied to are up in the air. That's kinda bothering me today. I am supposed to fly out for an interview for one school, so I'm hopeful at this point. ...but... I was really hoping to be able to relax a little over spring break, and not have to wonder if I would get in anywhere at all. It's unlikely that will happen now, and that kinda sucks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

sansao- hey now, at least you have a spring break!  ;) some of us poor souls are trapped in the office while it gets warmer and sunnier outside! best of luck though! here's to hoping you get some good news soon so you can take a deep breath and get some r-and-r!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't it be nice if universities actually OVER-estimated their notification dates, so you are pleasantly surprised to receive an acceptance (or whatever) a week prior to the estimate?  In my perfect little world, that would be great.  Saying "notifications expected March 15th" could actually mean that you'll definitely know something by that date, and you might know sooner.  Utopia, perhaps? UGH the waiting!!!!   Only a little bit longer, if I'm not wait-listed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I might have lost it already. My husband and I both applied to PhD in the same 4 schools, we have heard back from 2 schools: He was admitted in one and I was rejected .. and he got rejected in the one I was admitted! They are 9 hours away...I could never have imagined this outcome.  We have yet to hear from 2 schools but I am not very optimistic based on the results page :(

Link to post
Share on other sites

I might have lost it already. My husband and I both applied to PhD in the same 4 schools, we have heard back from 2 schools: He was admitted in one and I was rejected .. and he got rejected in the one I was admitted! They are 9 hours away...I could never have imagined this outcome.  We have yet to hear from 2 schools but I am not very optimistic based on the results page :(

 

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but if things don't work out the two of you have a decision to make. This is becoming more prevalent than not, but I want to tell you that people are making those situations work. My boss at work was long distance with her boyfriend for four years before they where married. Its a difficult situation and non-ideal, but it can work. 

 

It just depends on what you want.

 

Good luck with hearing from the other schools, I hope things work out 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The worst is getting unofficial notification that you've been accepted, and knowing that is the school you want to attend but waiting for official notification to come via email/postal so you can actually accept (hoping it was not a mistake, hah).

 

Eh, I would say the worst is not getting in anywhere, but that's just me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.