2013 Applications

Did you apply for a master's or phd? They told me the masters decisions would be coming out in March. 

Also, just got in to John Jay for my master's! Having to make this decision between schools will not be fun.

Congrats on John Jay! And I applied for masters, so looks like March it is.

I was informed a couple weeks ago that I have been accepted to Florida State University but that funding decisions were still being made.

This morning I received an email stating that I am being offered funding (details to follow).

I'm still waiting to hear back from 6 other programs, but I'm so relieved and elated that I definitely have one great option on the table! :D

Anyone else apply to FSU? Opinions on their program?

I was informed a couple weeks ago that I have been accepted to Florida State University but that funding decisions were still being made.

This morning I received an email stating that I am being offered funding (details to follow).

I'm still waiting to hear back from 6 other programs, but I'm so relieved and elated that I definitely have one great option on the table! :D

Anyone else apply to FSU? Opinions on their program?

Congratulations on the acceptance and funding! That's fantastic!

Does anyone have any opinions on John Jay or the cost of living in New York? Based on rough calculations tuition is about $20,000 cheaper than American and about $10,000 cheaper than Northeastern (the two others I have gotten accepted to so far) but I feel like the cost of living in New York may negate that difference. Plus, I know John Jay is ranked highest out of the three. Any thoughts?  

Accepted (for Master's):

American 

CUNY- John Jay

Northeastern

Still Waiting:

UMD

SUNY-Albany

Sam Houston

Missouri-St. Louis

Rutgers

ASU

UNM Law

Does anyone have any opinions on John Jay or the cost of living in New York? Based on rough calculations tuition is about $20,000 cheaper than American and about $10,000 cheaper than Northeastern (the two others I have gotten accepted to so far) but I feel like the cost of living in New York may negate that difference. Plus, I know John Jay is ranked highest out of the three. Any thoughts?  

Accepted (for Master's):

American 

CUNY- John Jay

Northeastern

Still Waiting:

UMD

SUNY-Albany

Sam Houston

Missouri-St. Louis

Rutgers

ASU

UNM Law

Having lived in two of those three cities, the cost of living isn't going to vary too much between them (especially if you live in Brooklyn or Queens in NYC).  The real question is what do you want to do with an MA?  That will help determine the best fit program for you.  At the end of the day though, I don't think it is worth it to go broke getting an MA so cost should be an important consideration and John Jay seems to fit the bill for that unless your goal is to stop at an MA and get a job working for the government, where the connections in DC would be more beneficial.  JJ has a good reputation and is much less expensive than the other two, but is disorganized and has large classes so you run the risk of just being a face in the crowd. 

I am one of the UCI applicants who have yet to hear back about an acceptance or a rejection.

My assumption is that we are in limbo until the first-rounders make their decisions, Thoughts? I see that there is one more of you out there who, like me, haven't heard anything.

Acceptance: Nebraska-Omaha, full funding!

Rejection: Arizona State University. 

Edited by afinerking

I am one of the UCI applicants who have yet to hear back about an acceptance or a rejection.

My assumption is that we are in limbo until the first-rounders make their decisions, Thoughts? I see that there is one more of you out there who, like me, haven't heard anything.

I have no idea how UCI works but we have our visit day next Monday. I'm not sure about anything regarding "rounds" since we werent given any information regarding dates to accept/reject their offer. Do you know that they do rounds of acceptances? The cohort already seemed rather large based on their email that said that something like 10% of the applicants were admitted. I'll post more info when I get back next week!

I am another, but who knows how many there are. It is easy to think of GradCafe as the whole universe, but there are plenty of applicants who don't even know it exists and an awful lot of lurkers who never post and then sweep in with post number one when they can't stand it anymore, even if they are concerned that the boards are monitored by the grad school police. No disrespect to anyone is intended, by the way! Everyone has their reasons. Few people post their scores when they post their results is one salient example.

I am not holding out too much hope for UCI at this point, but won't email or call the graduate coordinator because I don't want to jinx it or hear bad news until I am psychologically insulated by some more acceptances. Ha Ha.

If they do approach me with an offer, I have decided I will not let "not being in the first tier" prejudice me against the program when making my decision. My POI wasn't on the AdCom; nor are departmental agendas in her control, nor are they anything personal. So we wait...

So I was just accepted to George Washington's M.A. in Criminology program with a full funding offer. The funny thing is, I submitted my application two weeks after the deadline to be considered for funding so this totally surprised me haha.

I am another, but who knows how many there are. It is easy to think of GradCafe as the whole universe, but there are plenty of applicants who don't even know it exists and an awful lot of lurkers who never post and then sweep in with post number one when they can't stand it anymore, even if they are concerned that the boards are monitored by the grad school police. No disrespect to anyone is intended, by the way! Everyone has their reasons. Few people post their scores when they post their results is one salient example.

I am not holding out too much hope for UCI at this point, but won't email or call the graduate coordinator because I don't want to jinx it or hear bad news until I am psychologically insulated by some more acceptances. Ha Ha.

If they do approach me with an offer, I have decided I will not let "not being in the first tier" prejudice me against the program when making my decision. My POI wasn't on the AdCom; nor are departmental agendas in her control, nor are they anything personal. So we wait...

I called UCI. She said the people who received offers have already been notified and that everyone else was not accepted. She said letters went out yesterday so we should be getting them soon... Sad day. :/

I called UCI. She said the people who received offers have already been notified and that everyone else was not accepted. She said letters went out yesterday so we should be getting them soon... Sad day. :/
Quite correct. Just got back from a road trip and the rejection letter was in the mailbox. No hard feelings. Anyone who gets into this program and attends will be well served. I really liked everyone I spoke with including the graduate students who took the time to talk with me.

I have to try and remember this when I'm reviewing the results board! SMH. It's not ill intent on their ends, yes. However, more information would be great especially when you're on a board full of individuals reaching for something more - just as you are.

I have posted my info on the results board, but I haven't had any good news to report as yet. However, I am ELATED for those who've already received acceptances. Let's keep the good times rolling!

Edited by DarlingNikki

I was not aware that Master programs had funding. I thought only PHD programs

"they are concerned that the boards are monitored by the grad school police"

Lmao, the same people probably have Facebook's with all sorts of illicit or non-professional activity 

While funding at the Masters level is rare, it does exist. I was lucky enough to score a lucrative offer from GW :)

Darling Nikki are you applying phd or masters. Are you on any wait lists?

Hey Panache! Applying to PhD Programs with a completed MS. No waitlists. Three rejections, one tentative denial, and one MIA.

Edited by DarlingNikki