2013 Applications

PhDreams: UCI visit day(s) recap? We're still curious even though we're rejects.

Just got back! Pretty big cohort- 15 or so. Equally divided between definitely will attend and weighing other offers. Program seems well-funded. All students are guaranteed TAships, health insurance, and access to student housing. close to 100% placement rates once degreed. newer office spaces. great weather. doesnt seem there was a waitlist of any sort.

Just got back! Pretty big cohort- 15 or so. Equally divided between definitely will attend and weighing other offers. Program seems well-funded. All students are guaranteed TAships, health insurance, and access to student housing. close to 100% placement rates once degreed. newer office spaces. great weather. doesnt seem there was a waitlist of any sort.

Being a Cali person, my mentor at the MS level told me that going to UCI makes it really difficult to get a professorship in Southern Cali upon graduation. The SoCal market is absolutely flooded with UCI grads (my MS program has 4 UCI grads on staff, which is standard in this region). He basically said that UCI is a great option for someone who doesn't want to live in SoCal long term.

Thanks for the feedback. How did your discussions go with your POI (#1 and #2)?

Being a Cali person, my mentor at the MS level told me that going to UCI makes it really difficult to get a professorship in Southern Cali upon graduation. The SoCal market is absolutely flooded with UCI grads (my MS program has 4 UCI grads on staff, which is standard in this region). He basically said that UCI is a great option for someone who doesn't want to live in SoCal long term.

Similar statements from the directors and MOI's here in Florida. At the University of Florida, I was basically told I should expect to work out of state once program is complete.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dont give up. I recall PhDreams getting rejected by many schools, she kept applying and eventually got into UCI. Which is a top tier program! Also, (no-homo) but I love cats.

I applied to 8 schools this round. Rejected from 5! Accepted at 3. No waitlists. It can happen!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Can anyone give their opinion on Sam Houston State University's PhD program?

They seem to have good faculty that publish a lot and the program is well established. However, their ranking on US news is very low relative to other programs.

Any thoughts on this program?

The only school that accepted me for this year was the University of New Haven. They are a private institution though and their program is only two years old. I'm having a hard time finding information about the program outside of the university itself. There is also no guarantee of funding. I don't know what to do. I started off in psych and half the programs I wanted to do were in psych. I started looking into criminal justice because of the possibilities with my area of interest overlapping to the areas of criminal justice. Maybe I should wait until next year and try again. 

The only school that accepted me for this year was the University of New Haven. They are a private institution though and their program is only two years old. I'm having a hard time finding information about the program outside of the university itself. There is also no guarantee of funding. I don't know what to do. I started off in psych and half the programs I wanted to do were in psych. I started looking into criminal justice because of the possibilities with my area of interest overlapping to the areas of criminal justice. Maybe I should wait until next year and try again.

Perhaps an informational interview with a seasoned practitioner like Jerome Miller http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerome_G._Miller whose training was as a psychiatric social worker, not a clinical psychiatrist. However, he would be able to provide extremely valuable perspective and advice on correctional mental health. He is associated with:

NCIA Augustus Institute for Mental Health

7222 Ambassador Road

Baltimore, MD 21244

443.780.1300 phone

However, he may work out of Northern Virginia.

NCIA also has a satellite office in Brooklyn:

67 West Street

4th Floor, Room 1A

Brooklyn, New York 11222

347.657.9029 ext. 1050

Good luck!

Edited by Wicked_Problem