Admits with no funding or no word on funding yet?

Tumbleweed

Before I heard any application decisions, I thought waiting to hear from somebody was the worst thing in the world. Now, I know better. I've gotten in to my top picks, but have not been guaranteed any funding yet. I totally feel like waiting to hear if I will get funding is way worse than waiting to hear decisions. Knowing that I've "gotten in" is enough to allow my mind to fantasize about the possibilities without the real-world reality of a solid offer. Booooo! This sucks!

Anyone else stuck in funding limbo?

*raises hand*

I am holding two non-funded admits right now...Minnesota sounded like they were leaving the door open to possibly offering funding later ("we will immediately let you know if funding becomes available, sometimes we do offer additional support but don't count on it when you make your decision, etc etc etc"), but Irvine was a blanket "no finaid this year for master's students" (at least not in my department - ICS).

I know master's programs are vastly different from phd programs, and it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to come up with money for 2 years while for phd...i can't imagine doing that without funding. But still, coming up with money for 2 more years of school is going to be tricky, if I don't get in anywhere with funding.

2 acceptances so far. No funding. Both schools have cited the "economic climate" and one is "anticipating not being able to provide TA positions to any of their incoming class". My friends are having the same problems regardless of schools or programs.

Looks like I'll be taking on far more loans than I had wanted and won't be getting out of this state like I want to

My acceptance (where I will probably go) gave me an acceptance package that included a fellowship, with an amount.

However, a few days later I got an informal "congrats" email from a professor in the department who said they were still finalizing funding and were "confident" they could "come up with a competitive funding package" etc. Does this mean that there is a possibility my funding offer could change (for the better, I hope)? Or is this professor just not aware that my acceptance included a funding offer?

I'm in a similar boat. One of my admits came with an email that told me what the bare minimum funding was, but I've heard through the grapevine that I was their first choice admit and that my offer may be more. Since then, I haven't received any further info. The minimum funding isn't bad at all, but I'm eager to learn the specifics. Every day I run to the mailbox when I get home and every day I do the Charlie Brown walk into my house because I haven't gotten the letter yet. No matter how many times I read the email, it's not real until I can hold the proof in my hands!

This process definitely seems to be more about patience than anything else. I've learned more about that in the past few months than in all of my life before.

I have been admitted by three schools but haven't heard anything about funding yet. I keep researching these schools' websites and the info about funding. With the first school they seem to promise a very solid package to everyone they accept, however, it's been a month and a half since I got accepted there and I still haven't heard a word!It all feels unreal!

My only offer so far comes with no funding, not even tuition, for the first year of an MA program at a university that doesn't even offer a PhD in my field.

Last night I heard on the news about a guy who was hit by a bus AND a train. I briefly wondered if he was feeling worse than I am.

Same here. I've been admitted to my top choice and nominated for a fellowship that would include four years of guaranteed support. Don't know if I got it or if I'll just be offered a TA. Or if I'll get anything. It's definitely frustrating; I will not be able to attend if they can't fund me..

Both of the schools that have offered me a place say that they are "trying" to find funds for me. One said that it was "very likely" that I would get a TA spot, but the other hasn't said anything yet. Ahhhhh! It seems like a lot of folks are in the same boat and that many schools are making their funding decisions at a later date. I absolutely know that I won't be attending any program without funding as I have too much MA debt, and I really don't want to go through this process again next year. Here's to waiting and thinking about Plan B...

*Fingers crossed* I hope everyone hears some good funding news soon!

Still waiting to hear about funding here too, for an MSW program.

For those of you who know your school is searching for funding, was that in your admit. letter or a separate one? My admits didn't say anything either way about funding...

Still waiting to hear about funding here too, for an MSW program.

For those of you who know your school is searching for funding, was that in your admit. letter or a separate one? My admits didn't say anything either way about funding...

When I was accepted at CUSSW, my funding letter came a few months after the admit letter. Granted I was admitted around Januaryish, and I think the letter came around end of March. So give it just a bit more time.

I just got into a program in which the letter outlined the minimum funding possible, said they were looking for more but couldn't say if there would be any at this point, and asked for an acceptance within a week if possible. Alas, due to the first part of the letter, I will not be able to fulfill the second, but I'll at least write right away to tell them that. (And yeah, this is an MA program and, I think, not subject to the April 15 rule.)

You know, I got accepted at USC and the letter they sent didn't even mention funding (which I assumed to mean that I was out of luck). In the back of my mind, though, there's this little voice saying, "maybe they're just waiting to finalize their budget," but I just don't know. It sounds like some of you are in the same boat. What do you guys think, am I SOL? Are any of you USC Film Studies applicants that received funding?

Well, I don't know about USC, but one of my top choices had a similar letter. I called to find out about funding and was told they were waiting for final budgets to be set by the university. Seems there had been changes due to economic projecions. I think that may be the case at a lot of schools. I would call the grad coordinator at USC and ask. If they are debating on who really wants $ it will let them know you do!

You know, I got accepted at USC and the letter they sent didn't even mention funding (which I assumed to mean that I was out of luck). In the back of my mind, though, there's this little voice saying, "maybe they're just waiting to finalize their budget," but I just don't know. It sounds like some of you are in the same boat. What do you guys think, am I SOL? Are any of you USC Film Studies applicants that received funding?

The two programs I'm wait listed at don't admit anyone unless they can guarantee five years of funding. I think it'll hurt a little less if things don't work out, knowing that I was never actually admitted. To be accepted somewhere and not be able to go must sting pretty bad.

in the same boat! I applied to a couple a film studies prog- got into SFSU but no mention of funding, wrote to the grad advisor and waiting for her response. Do normally MA film students get good fundingg?

For me, I can honestly say that it does sting more to be admitted without funding than to be rejected. I only put in one PhD application last year and was admitted without funding. Granted, it was an overseas program but it was a real stinker not to be able to attend. If you get rejected the door is closed. With an acceptance (non-funded) it creates all of the 'what if' scenarios.

Due to budget cuts, it looks like a lot of schools are finalizing their funding after admitting students. People who are waitlisted for funding will probably move up the line as others decline program offers.

Here's to hoping money trickles our way...

Ugh. I'm in the same position! I thought it would all be over when I heard from admissions, but knowing I got in and waiting for funding feels even worse. It's just a fancy piece of letterhead without some cold, hard cash to back it up.

I was admitted to both my first and second choice schools. My second choice sent a funding offer with the acceptance but my top choice makes aid decisions separately and after admission. Both schools paid for visits last week and my top choice said I would know within a week or two. (I was told they actually don't start making any aid decisions until the beginning of march). It's pretty nerve wracking.

Just found out one of my acceptances probably won't be able to fund me. Does kind of make me feel like a second-class citizen, and like "you were 'ok', not good not bad, just ok."

I was in this position last year and I think waiting for funding was way harder than waiting for admission! The school I attend does not guarantee funding though once you are in with funding they try to keep funding you until you finish. You may think the anxiety is over but I have been biting my nails waiting to hear about Fall funding because it is a state university having severe budget cuts. I finally emailed the head of my department and asked for confirmation that I can count on funding for next year and got a "yes" -- HUGE SIGH OF RELIEF!

I wish you all the best. I know my department is not going to offer funding to new admits, unless some of the current cohort leave and how likely is that? Two dropped out after the first semester but I think the rest are in for the long haul. A friend of mine applied to Missouri, which usually offers full funding if you are accepted. Once she was accepted she got a letter saying that they would not be offering guaranteed funding but that it would be given on a semester by semester basis -- OUCH!

On the other hand, I have found that there are opportunities to apply for graduate assistant jobs and find your own position in other departments if yours does not provide funding. Writing programs in most departments often need extra TAs for huge required undergrad courses.

Good luck all.

StudyMom

Hah hah, I scanned the first post and misread "funding limbo" as something else--but I'd say both words accurately describe the limbo I feel I'm in.

I was just about to make a new topic called, "Getting in with no funding is an awful lot like not getting in at all." But there was already a topic like this. :)

There's this weird psychological shift--you don't feel half as mad at them as you would if you'd just gotten rejected. You don't get to hold it against them in the same way. :P But I'll still feel like I've had the rug pulled out from under me, if I'm "in" but unfunded.

A new line just appeared in the web application for the last school I was waiting on...

Decision: Admit.

However, no word about funding. so now the wait begins...my decision is hinging on whether this school offers me $$$ Or the Pr(school offers funding).