I think I'm becoming immune.

MDLee

I've almost begun to accept rejection as a state of mind...

Sad as that is, I almost wasn't even affected by the last one that just came in.

I'm sure it'll hit me this summer...

When I'm out of things to do....

And I'm not moving for grad school....

But right now...

...I think I'm becoming immune.

i'm sorry to hear about your string of rejections. i hope something good comes along for you soon.

i got my first, and so far only rejection yesterday. i kind of felt dazed, like i just got hit in the head except there was no pain on the surface.

but i still haven't heard anything from any of my other programs, and at this point i believe its nothing but a mix of rejections and waitlists. no straight-up acceptances. :(

I am certainly glad to know that I'm in the company of some awesome scholars who also should be accepted. It has just been a bad year for this stuff I guess. :(

I was immune to my OSU rejection because I was almost 100% sure it would happen, from following the forums and the results page. I was just mad they couldn't email me themselves. Is it that difficult? geesh.

I'm doing fake immune at the moment. Kind of the same way I've pretended befor to be completely fine after being dumped. I don't want to give them the satisfaction of knowing they got to me. Which is dumb in this case because 1)I don't think the schools can actually find out how OK or otherwise I am, and 2) I don't think the schools are evil the way I do exes.

What's bothering me more than not getting to go is the money I spent on applying, and how my pride will handle telling people about my lack of success.

I'm immune too I guess. Just got the fifth rejection, and the last American school is my first choice that I'm 99% certain is just taking their sweet time rejecting me. UCC was my backup and it just may turn into my ace in the hole if I 1. am accepted for the one spot they have 2. get a non-EU student waiver so I can worry about

I suppose you could think about it this way... If Gloria Gaynor could survive, you should be okay. 'Cause you're savin' your lovin' for someone who's lovin' you. You've got all your life to live, and you will survive. Now go hustle.

What's bothering me more than not getting to go is the money I spent on applying, and how my pride will handle telling people about my lack of success.

Yeah, I think I'm "okay" (for lack of a better word) with being totally rejected this year (it hasn't happened yet, but I have a feeling it is imminent). But I am now concerned with how I'm going to tell everyone, and have to deal with their "comforting" words/gestures, etc. I wish there was a way I could tell them all at once, and just get it all over with quickly.

And I'm also worried about how I'm going to deal with myself once fall comes and I'm not back in school...but one thing at a time.

I am right there, with you. Today, I was thinking that I wish I had not told anyone, or may be one or two about my plan. Now I have to deal with their questions and etc.......

I am waiting on 5 schools, applied to 6. Rejected from 1.

I am hiding out from all of my classmates because they all think I'm going to get into Harvard or something. Yeah...probably not happening. No one is banging down my door.

I think the hardest rejection to take was the one that everyone kept saying was a sure thing. HA!

Honestly, I cannot afford this little exercise again. I spent over $1,200. I applied to 11 schools. If I only get into an MA program or none at all, I don't know what I'll do.

EPIC FAIL!

I think the hardest rejection to take was the one that everyone kept saying was a sure thing. HA!
I'm right there with you. The vast majority of my family does not have a college degree. Therefore I'm this little brainiac which every school MUST accept according to them. For years my friends have told me how smart I am and I've gotten the better scores than them. Guess who's laughing behind my back now!

I am hiding out from all of my classmates because they all think I'm going to get into Harvard or something. Yeah...probably not happening. No one is banging down my door.

Yup, that's the painful part.

I am right there, with you. Today, I was thinking that I wish I had not told anyone, or may be one or two about my plan. Now I have to deal with their questions and etc.......

I am waiting on 5 schools, applied to 6. Rejected from 1.

Exactly. I am quite the talker once I get going, so I think I probably told too many people about the grad school thing....

But I don't want to necessarily blame the economy. It might very well be me. If I blame something else, how can I truly better myself for future applications to grad schools??

That is actually a very good point...we shouldn't be too hard on ourselves, but I think its totally reasonable to look at weak spots in our apps for when we start over next year :)

That is actually a very good point...we shouldn't be too hard on ourselves, but I think its totally reasonable to look at weak spots in our apps for when we start over next year :)

I was actually just thinking about this since I have been (mostly) blaming my rejections on the economy. I think once I know for sure, and take some time to let them all sink in, I'm going to have to really critique my applications. Because if it is me then I have the ability to change this.

Even if we could absolutely blame it on the economy. I doubt that in the next year schools are going to be recovered enough to take on as many students as they have in the past. We are going to have to adapt to the new circumstances, which means looking even more qualified in a pool of qualified applicants competing for a small number of spots.

I guess I better start working on improving my credentials even more.

By the way.... Does anyone feel like they are going through the five stages of grief: Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance? This the the story of my life right now.

Yeah I think these are closer to mine! With heaping amounts of self-doubt and depression...

Add to that freaking out, crying, hating the world, and then finally apathy.