Good Sign, Omen or Hallucination - All Are Welcome!

Eager

Boston College just informed me I'm going to need to do a Skype interview. As their website says an interview isn't always required, I've been told to read this as me doing very well. Any thoughts?

Now this is exciting!  I have never done a Skype interview!  Let us know what happens.!

Hi everyone,

I love reading all of your positive posts! I applied to six programs, and have heard from two.  One was a mass email rejection letter and the other included an email/phone call from a grad student at one of my top schools to discuss the application process and if I had any questions (thought it was an omen). Unfortunately, that was about 3 weeks ago and she told me they were sending invites by the beginning of the week after we spoke :(. This whole process is so tough and stressful! I wish they could just tell us already! Anyway, good luck to everyone and I hope everyone gets good news very soon!

You are so right.  This is such a stressful process.  But we are pulling for each other!  We believe in each other and I am so excited about the dozens of posts and congratulation posts that are getting ready to happen. CAN YOU FEEL IT PEOPLE??????

Probably my GREs. Unfortunately, they have yet to see my undergrad transcripts beyond a single semester of seminary after I graduated....

I was an *awful* student in undergrad. Obviously it's not impossible for BC to accept me -- Seton Hall already has -- but I just reviewed my undergrad transcripts and it was a.....sobering experience, to say the least. I pulled myself up from my bootstraps, pulled mostly B's for my last three or four semesters, and got a 4.0 in seminary, and my GREs are spectacular -- 170/170 on verbal, 5.5 analytic writing. But I am profoundly worried about how negatively they'll look on my stupid 20-year-old self.

We all have our regrets.  I have the opposite issue, 3.95 undergrad, 4.0 Grad, but the GRE was horrible!  The verbal not bad, not as good as you, but not bad, but the Quant....It gives me shivers to think about it!  But we have accomplished things in our own right that will make us shine and there is a spot in the program that is right for us that no one else can have! :rolleyes:

I have an interview tomorrow, and last night in my dream, a professor from that school paid a visit to my apartment to help me prepare for the interview. LOL

Good luck to those who have interview(s)!

Dreams can be very powerful Omens.  Keep us posted.  Woo Hoo!

I have an interview tomorrow, and last night in my dream, a professor from that school paid a visit to my apartment to help me prepare for the interview. LOL

Good luck to those who have interview(s)!

Good luck!

We all have our regrets.  I have the opposite issue, 3.95 undergrad, 4.0 Grad, but the GRE was horrible!  The verbal not bad, not as good as you, but not bad, but the Quant....It gives me shivers to think about it!  But we have accomplished things in our own right that will make us shine and there is a spot in the program that is right for us that no one else can have! :rolleyes:

don't worry. i'm given to understand that english programs typically aren't concerned with your quantitative scores. the only issue would be if there's a minimum cut-off for funding or the like.

Good sign? I received an email from a very competitive program (let's be honest: Harvard) saying that I had not applied for a FLAS even though I am eligible, and encouraging me to submit an application ASAP if I wanted to apply, basically extending the application deadline (which had been 12/31). When I explained that I didn't have anyone to write the letters of recommendation required for the fellowship app, the coordinator said that was fine and they had all the other materials from my GSAS app, they just needed the FLAS application form and a separate statement for how I would use the fellowship.

This is good right? If they didn't like my app, they wouldn't encourage me to apply for a fellowship? Or is it just routine, and they scan to see who didn't apply for funding and forward their names to the fellowship coordinator?

I have to say, this is getting my hopes up. Which in turn just makes me more anxious.

Good sign? I received an email from a very competitive program (let's be honest: Harvard) saying that I had not applied for a FLAS even though I am eligible, and encouraging me to submit an application ASAP if I wanted to apply, basically extending the application deadline (which had been 12/31). When I explained that I didn't have anyone to write the letters of recommendation required for the fellowship app, the coordinator said that was fine and they had all the other materials from my GSAS app, they just needed the FLAS application form and a separate statement for how I would use the fellowship.

This is good right? If they didn't like my app, they wouldn't encourage me to apply for a fellowship? Or is it just routine, and they scan to see who didn't apply for funding and forward their names to the fellowship coordinator?

I have to say, this is getting my hopes up. Which in turn just makes me more anxious.

Bizio, are you kidding me?!?  That's not a good sign, that's a GREAT sign!  I think I'm getting ulcers waiting to hear something....barely any of Spanish lit programs have sent notifications, and many have said they won't do so until late February.  It's so hard to not obsess over this!

Bizio, are you kidding me?!?  That's not a good sign, that's a GREAT sign!  I think I'm getting ulcers waiting to hear something....barely any of Spanish lit programs have sent notifications, and many have said they won't do so until late February.  It's so hard to not obsess over this!

I am so glad to see someone saying this is a good sign, same thing happened to me with a school I'd LOVE to go to.  I figured it was just them trying to make sure everyone applied to funding.  Basically, they wrote me and said "hey the deadline for FLAS is coming up, you can't used it for Spanish as a first year PhD but you could do Quechua" (which is a language I haven't studied before)  Just when I thought this day was a wash, gradcafe comes through and makes me feel better! I LOVE you guys!

During my interview, the Dean said that I should def. apply for scholarships and big funding, and GAs because my grades are really good and my research interests fit really well and other good stuff...but I'm still really nervous. I hear next week and I just don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, so to speak. 

Okay. So, I think most people would consider these good signs and I would too, I do,  but...like everyone else I'm still on the rollercoaster from superstar confidence to eeyore-like pessimism :unsure: . Good luck to everyone!!

but...like everyone else I'm still on the rollercoaster from superstar confidence to eeyore-like pessimism :unsure: . Good luck to everyone!!

OMG. Me too... I couldn't believe that one school wants to interview me and I doubted it more times than I can remember, but again... they did invite me. I like your Eeyore metaphor. lol

OMG. Me too... I couldn't believe that one school wants to interview me and I doubted it more times than I can remember, but again... they did invite me. I like your Eeyore metaphor. lol

You should be very proud that you got an interview, no matter what happens, because that is an accomplishment too!! I had to keep reminding myself to that. :)

My professor who wrote an LOR for me just forwarded me an email from the school I applied to. (This prof as well as myself were in personal and direct contact with the Director of Recruitment). The email was a recruiting one asking if he knew any interested and promising students to send their way. They sent it to my professor NOT my undergrad school itself. 

Could it be they liked his recommendation of me? Or could it be they're telling him to "try again" and that I'm a flop? Funny that my prof forwarded it to me only with the note "FYI". Like that gives anything away...

P.S. - It has been 2 weeks into the review of my application. I was told to expect a decision in upwards of 2 to 4 weeks.

This is past good, or even great, this is AMAZING.  One thing we have learned is that programs do not waste a lot of time with prospective students they are not interested in. It sounds like an acceptance and a fellowship are on the way for you.  And congrats on that.  It is truly awesome!

I am so glad to see someone saying this is a good sign, same thing happened to me with a school I'd LOVE to go to.  I figured it was just them trying to make sure everyone applied to funding.  Basically, they wrote me and said "hey the deadline for FLAS is coming up, you can't used it for Spanish as a first year PhD but you could do Quechua" (which is a language I haven't studied before)  Just when I thought this day was a wash, gradcafe comes through and makes me feel better! I LOVE you guys!

And we love you!  This is really great.  Don't be afraid to get excited about something like this.  If I were you, I would do the official HAPPY DANCE!

During my interview, the Dean said that I should def. apply for scholarships and big funding, and GAs because my grades are really good and my research interests fit really well and other good stuff...but I'm still really nervous. I hear next week and I just don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, so to speak. 

Okay. So, I think most people would consider these good signs and I would too, I do,  but...like everyone else I'm still on the rollercoaster from superstar confidence to eeyore-like pessimism :unsure: . Good luck to everyone!!

Having an interview in itself is good.  The positive feedback about applying for scholarships is great.  Here's to you!

So this emotional roller coaster is very accurately represented in the following link....hope it makes you all laugh! http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1PxUqo/:2nEMM@KY:IuHW2y5j/blog.nathanbransford.com/2012/08/the-publishing-process-in-gif-form.html/

YOU ARE BRILLIANT!  I LOVED THIS!!!!!!!!

My professor who wrote an LOR for me just forwarded me an email from the school I applied to. (This prof as well as myself were in personal and direct contact with the Director of Recruitment). The email was a recruiting one asking if he knew any interested and promising students to send their way. They sent it to my professor NOT my undergrad school itself. 

Could it be they liked his recommendation of me? Or could it be they're telling him to "try again" and that I'm a flop? Funny that my prof forwarded it to me only with the note "FYI". Like that gives anything away...

P.S. - It has been 2 weeks into the review of my application. I was told to expect a decision in upwards of 2 to 4 weeks.

Can someone say: GOOD SIGN?  Keep us posted on this.  This sounds promising! :rolleyes:

Oh, do we like to hear about interviews!  A round of applause everyone.  An interview is an accomplishment!  Keep us posted!

Hi everyone!

I need some advice :-S

So, I had a great visit with one of my schools - before the application was due - and things were looking promising. The application was due Dec 1st...and I haven't heard a peep since. I've now seen from the results search that one person was notified back in December - so the question is...is it a good idea to call the admissions office - and what's a good excuse to use?

Hi everyone!

I need some advice :-S

So, I had a great visit with one of my schools - before the application was due - and things were looking promising. The application was due Dec 1st...and I haven't heard a peep since. I've now seen from the results search that one person was notified back in December - so the question is...is it a good idea to call the admissions office - and what's a good excuse to use?

I agree with mimi03.  There is nothing wrong with asking about the status of your application.  Keep us posted! :)