Pittsburgh, PA

On 3/16/2018 at 5:39 PM, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

Hey, all - I'll be going to Pittsburgh to start CMU's LCS PhD. If anyone has knowledge of nice (or terrible) management companies they don't mind sharing, that'd be great! 

CMU has a pretty all-encompassing list that includes JL Land and Sterling as two top companies! My friends in Pittsburgh use Walnut Creek and love them, as well.

On 3/10/2018 at 9:43 AM, strawberrykat said:

Are there any complexes or areas to stay away from around CMU? 

Looking for a quiet area (minimal undergrads), preferably a house, that's dog-friendly

Shadyside and Squirrel Hill are quiet with minimal undergrads, and have plenty of dog-friendly housing! That's where I'm looking at right now, due to my dog probably coming with me as well! From when I lived in Pittsburgh for undergrad, Shadyside was always the place that my friends in graduate programs lived.

• 9 months later...

Hey, people from elsewhere, how long did it take you to adjust to the city/PA in general? I moved here in August from VA and I am so homesick, lol. I miss the pretty scenery, milder weather, and my family. I just applied to Pitt for Social Work (which was the whole reason that we moved) and I'm kind of terrified of the idea of 2 and 1/2 more years here. Pittsburgh's not so bad really aside from the cold but I absolutely hate PA and I'm finding it really hard to adjust, culturally. Any advice, or just words of wisdom? I'm really sad right now.

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2018 at 8:20 AM, doctormelody said:

Hey, people from elsewhere, how long did it take you to adjust to the city/PA in general? I moved here in August from VA and I am so homesick, lol. I miss the pretty scenery, milder weather, and my family. I just applied to Pitt for Social Work (which was the whole reason that we moved) and I'm kind of terrified of the idea of 2 and 1/2 more years here. Pittsburgh's not so bad really aside from the cold but I absolutely hate PA and I'm finding it really hard to adjust, culturally. Any advice, or just words of wisdom? I'm really sad right now.

Another Pittsburgh transplant here! I've lived in PA for about 10 years now, but I grew up in Charlotte, NC, so I totally get where you're coming from in terms of missing the mild weather and scenery. I can't say we're in the exact same boat as I moved here as a teenager with my family and had more opportunities to build relationships through the built-in socialization that high school provided, but I totally sympathize with how hard the adjustment is to make. Not gonna lie, I hate PA too - once you start getting into bland farmland outside the city it's just not for me, but the people here can be some of the warmest, kindest, and most generous I've ever met once you get to know them. I was depressed for at least the first two years that I lived here (which I know doesn't really help, but I came from an even warmer climate than you did where winter was basically non-existent, so I attribute a lot of it to the weather), but it does get better, I promise!  

34 minutes ago, vesperalvioletta said:

Another Pittsburgh transplant here! I've lived in PA for about 10 years now, but I grew up in Charlotte, NC, so I totally get where you're coming from in terms of missing the mild weather and scenery. I can't say we're in the exact same boat as I moved here as a teenager with my family and had more opportunities to build relationships through the built-in socialization that high school provided, but I totally sympathize with how hard the adjustment is to make. Not gonna lie, I hate PA too - once you start getting into bland farmland outside the city it's just not for me, but the people here can be some of the warmest, kindest, and most generous I've ever met once you get to know them. I was depressed for at least the first two years that I lived here (which I know doesn't really help, but I came from an even warmer climate than you did where winter was basically non-existent, so I attribute a lot of it to the weather), but it does get better, I promise!  

Thank you so much, this gives me hope!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2019 at 6:22 PM, peanutjellyfish said:

Does anyone have input on what it's like to be a student at CMU without a car? 

I didn't go to CMU, but I work very nearby and went to another Pittsburgh university, so I may be able to offer some insight. 

In my opinion, it's going to be all about where you live. CMU's campus is fairly compact, so navigating while there shouldn't be a problem, but if you're planning on living anywhere other than Oakland, Shadyside, or parts of Squirrel Hill, you'll be pretty heavily reliant on the bus system to get around. Pittsburgh Port Authority runs just about anywhere you could want to go in the city, and I know CMU has their own shuttle buses through parts of the aforementioned neighborhoods and to the CMU Technology Center closer to uptown, but it just depends on what you're comfortable with. 

There's a small population of people I know who like to travel by bike when the weather is nice enough for it as well, but I can't say I exactly trust Pittsburgh drivers...