Duke

mungdaddy

Guest Hermy

I have accepted Duke's offer for fall 2006. I am an international student and will be moving to Durham in the first week of August.

Guest timboimbo

I'll be moving in to Durham in August to start a PhD in English. Anybody have any inside info about where to live in down there. I checked out the grad school housing website and saw some nice places for rent, but I'm wondering if anybody lives outside of Durham. I hear Chaple Hill is nicer than Durham.

Guest MegoestoDuke
I am a newly admitted PhD student in Cell and Mol. Bio. program. Any guys in medical school?
Me!! I am joining the Molecular Genetics and Microbio dept. Have you made arrangements for housing?

Guest MegoestoDuke
I'll be moving in to Durham in August to start a PhD in English. Anybody have any inside info about where to live in down there. I checked out the grad school housing website and saw some nice places for rent, but I'm wondering if anybody lives outside of Durham. I hear Chaple Hill is nicer than Durham.
Hello there! Even I hear that Chapel hill is nicer than Durham. But chapel hill is much costlier than Durham and more important than that, the commute to Durham from Chapel hill is via RTP and the traffic seems to be terrible in that route. If you have a car and are ready to travel long hours in traffic then Chapel Hill might be OK for you.

I am planning to stay in Durham itself. I am considering the Campus walk apts, Poplar west or the West Manor. (Might end up taking the university housing too.... havent decided anything!) :D

the commute to Durham from Chapel hill is via RTP and the traffic seems to be terrible in that route

There are definately ways to get to Durham from Chapel Hill not going the RTP route (actually that's way out of the way). 15-501 is a straight-shot from Chapel Hill to Durham as is NC751. It's a doable commute, I'm just not sure how parking is on Duke's campus (since I'm at UNC). For the record, my fiance commutes from Carrboro (subarb of Chapel Hill) to Cary (just outside Raleigh) everyday and doesn't have a big problem with it...

Rent is probably more expensive in Chapel Hill/Carrboro than in Durham, but the city is much nicer imo...and that's not just me speaking as a long time Tar Heel fan :wink:

Me!! I am joining the Molecular Genetics and Microbio dept. Have you made arrangements for housing?

Actually, not. I am still waiting for my Duke ID and I-20. In the first year, I might choose the on-campus apartment, so I am also seeking for roommates. By the way, I would like to choose apartment with 2 bedrooms.

I'm living in Durham (on the Durham/Chapel Hill) boarder but going to UNC. I just visited last week to find housing, and I saw some nice apartments in Durham in not so bad areas. I would recommend looking in the Southpoint Mall area!

Guest megoestoduke
Actually, not. I am still waiting for my Duke ID and I-20. In the first year, I might choose the on-campus apartment, so I am also seeking for roommates. By the way, I would like to choose apartment with 2 bedrooms.
Same with me!! I too recently decided to take the on-campus housing and tried to fill up that form. seems i cant do that without a Duke ID :) meet you at Duke!

Guest megoestoduke
There are definately ways to get to Durham from Chapel Hill not going the RTP route (actually that's way out of the way). 15-501 is a straight-shot from Chapel Hill to Durham as is NC751. It's a doable commute, I'm just not sure how parking is on Duke's campus (since I'm at UNC)
oh i see... seems I am misinformed :oops: And now I asked my 'source of information' about parking at Duke and he says Duke parking sucks. Hope I am misinformed again :D

Guest Guest
oh i see... seems I am misinformed :oops: And now I asked my 'source of information' about parking at Duke and he says Duke parking sucks. Hope I am misinformed again :D

Parking at Duke, like many university campuses, is not great. However, it is definitely better than parking at UNC where often you need to park in remote lots and shuttle to the campus. Duke has remote lots for students, but on nice days it is a very walkable distance (maybe 15 minutes depending on where on campus you are). You definitely don't get to drive right up to your building and just cross the street, but it's really not that bad because the campus is beautiful and it really is a nice walk on most days.

Guest Romlit
Same with me!! I too recently decided to take the on-campus housing and tried to fill up that form. seems i cant do that without a Duke ID :) meet you at Duke!

Of course you can apply for the housing without the ID. I have done that nad housing assignments are announced in May so just apply and leave the ID part blank. I got a quick response from the housing department after applying. I have not even mailed out my request for an I-20.

Guest Romlit
Anybody on here PhDing in either the English or Literature departments?

I'm going for Romance Languages (French Lit)

Guest Guest

Hi, I'm an entering Ph.D. student of Duke and plan to live very close to the east campus. Yea, I heard that parking on campus sucks, so I plan to walk or take the bus most of the time. Anybody know a good way to find a roommate? I'd love to share an apartment with another graduate student starting this summer.

There's this Belmont Apartments very close to campus and looks great. Anybody knows anything about it? Thanks a lot if anyone can help.

BTW What's up, Mr. Guest, I'm going into physics as well.

Guest guest

There's this Belmont Apartments very close to campus and looks great. Anybody knows anything about it?

The Belmont Apartments are nice and convenient to campus. It is mostly undergrads though and tends to be loud, so this is something to consider in case you are looking for somewhere quiet.

Guest Guest
The Belmont Apartments are nice and convenient to campus. It is mostly undergrads though and tends to be loud, so this is something to consider in case you are looking for somewhere quiet.

Thanks, the guest unstairs, for this piece of infomation. It's definitely something good to know. So for a graduate student who wanna live close to campus and also want a quiet place with less undergrads around, do you have any suggestions? I think I'd like to live with a roommate, and I'm willing to pay 500+ per month. Thanks.

-Sam

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Romlit

It's been a while since Duke 'admits' posted. What's up? For international students, have you received your I20's, as well as the Duke package contaaining oyur Duke ID? I have not received any of these yet so I'm rather worried. What about housing. I filled out an application and wa informed that assignments have been made but so far no news of my assignment. I think if we share how far we are in the enrollment proccess it will ease our worries a bit eh?

About I20

After sending back the visa request form, you should get your I-20 with some sheets about the enrollment procedure in 3 weeks. I have got my I20 for 2 weeks.

About dorm

You should check out the website and apply for your housing.

http://rlhs.studentaffairs.duke.edu/gra ... index.html

After that, you will get a mail form Stacy. The letter will tell you about your assignment and roommates. Then you should sent a mail to tell them your address, so that they could send the housing contract to you.

Good luck

It's been a while since Duke 'admits' posted. What's up? For international students, have you received your I20's, as well as the Duke package contaaining oyur Duke ID? I have not received any of these yet so I'm rather worried. What about housing. I filled out an application and wa informed that assignments have been made but so far no news of my assignment. I think if we share how far we are in the enrollment proccess it will ease our worries a bit eh?

I got both my I20 and the housing licence last week. I applied for grad housing about a week back and got an apartment assigned in the central campus. I am yet to receive my admission package that contains my offical offer and financial award letters. I actually did not receive it for about 15 days since I got the email and I wrote to the grad office asking them to resend the package thru dhl and that i will pay for it. but they have sent it by normal mail again and it has been 10 days now :(. I need the letters for my visa interview. I am going to write to them again if I dont get the mail in another week.

Guest Romlit

I now have my housing assignment and waiting for the I20.

Suja... I received one copy of my funding letter directly from my department - the sent it by fedex. I later received another copy by post many weeks later. Ask your Graduate Director to send you the letter by fedex!

Have you had your immunisations. My understanding is that we only need MMR and DPT. (I wish I had kept my records as a child!

chihsheng, thanks for giving your experience. Did you also receive you student ID yet?

Not yet, but I am not worried about that. Since the only one procedure that needs Duke ID is to submit the Health History Form on line. I have got my certificate of health, so I'll wait for my ID and fill the form according to my certificate after getting the ID.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use