one school left and praying for a miracle... lol

BigCheese

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I actually want to end up tenured in a good program eventually (which I do!), then I am going to have to attend a really good program.

Really? You couldn't do good work at a second tier institution and let your reputation speak for itself?

All I know is that my undergrad was offered admission into the Ivy League...and turned it down! Bwahahaha!

I've enacted a last minute Hail Mary play - it's not over yet, people. Turns out Columbia still accepts Medieval Studies MA applicants through March 15. This time I'm going to do what I should have done more of and make absolutely sure my "target" professor 1. actually knows me 2. is accepting graduate students. I don't know how he'll feel about a student appearing from out of nowhere less than two weeks from the application due date but by the gods I'm going to try to make this work. At the very least I'll have the dubious honor of five matching Ivy rejections. I'm on my way to a whole set! Collect 'em all!

Good luck on your last minute Hail Mary play! I think I may launch one of my own...I've got my eye on a master's program w/ the possibility of funding that accepts applicants until Apr. 1.

This may be the year of the "get me into grad school somewhere" scramble all around...

I would actually be interested to hear how "In some fields applying for a safety school doesn't actually make that much sense".

I can't speak for others or others' fields, but here's my $0.02. I'm interested in a wide variety of topics in theoretical physics, and the more mathematical, the better. Problem is, there aren't really any safety schools for someone w/ my interests. There are what you might call "safety schools" that carry out theoretical physics research, but these are by and large limited to just a couple topics. These programs are fine if you 1., know exactly what topic you want to specialize in already, and 2., plan on going into a career in industry in that exact topic. But for students like me who thrive off the intra/inter-disciplinary energry in hopping from topic to topic (and furthermore plan on going on to a career in academia), there really don't exist any safety programs. Believe me, I looked!

So in my case, the best you can do is put forth your best application, hope for the best while steeling yourself up for soul-crushing defeat, and formulate a plan b. The simple fact of the matter is, I'd rather not go to grad school at all if I can't get into the exact sort of program I would enjoy. Why devote five years of the prime of my life to a grad program I'm not totally interested in?

Really? You couldn't do good work at a second tier institution and let your reputation speak for itself?

W.O.R.D. Thats is SO the way I want to do it. My mentor got his degree from a state school and is a FORCE in his field (published multiple books, fast track to tenure, invited to lecture and edit, etc...in fact, the elitist profs from ivy institutions in my department are jealous of him because they can't publish...weighed down by their own neurotic pressure for perfection). It's so rock and roll--I love it. I'm not at all trashing the Ivys. Sure, a top-raked institution can prepare you to do this, but so can a decent school, as long as you sprinkle a little bit of your brilliance, determination, and passion for your research on top. :mrgreen:

Regardless, good luck with Georgetown!

Actually, I think I could at a later stage. I hope my reputation will speak for itself while I'm in grad school. I'll almost certainly work at second-tier institutions for my first few jobs, and at that point what will get me where I want to go will be my insightful research approach, clear and respect-inducing teaching style, and kick-ass publications... 8) :wink:

But I would like the extra oomph that a top ranked program will give me when I start job-hunting. With the academic job market imploding the way it is, every little bit will count by the time I get out there.

Ok, actually my second motive is probably the more driving, if I'm honest. That being, I cannot afford any PhD program unless I can secure substantial financial aid. I am not willing to bank my future on estimated future income, so I refuse to take on debt. And one thing top-ranked programs tend to have in common is lots of funding for those students they do accept. So if I don't get in (as is quite possible since I have no acceptances yet), then I will work for a few years until I can fund more of it myself and then try again with a different set of priorities for where I apply.

I'm not so blinded by the name as to think high-ranked programs are going to produce the best students regardless. I've met some Ivy grad students in my field, and most of them were as dull as any other exhausted, depressed, undernourished grad. But the combination of name and tuition waiver will certainly help.

The way I (longwindedly) see it, this is my year to aim really damn high and believe my advisor when he says I can get into the very best programs. If it turns out I can't, then next time I come round I can temper my idealism. But at least I can say I tried (and got rejected by) all the best!

Another point worth mentioning, about the sciences in general, is that often the caliber of one's education and research opportunities and really vary between "brand-name" and "safety" schools. For subjects in humanities whose usual tools are the written word, even if your safety school does not have a super library, there's always Inter-Library Loan. (Or Amazon.) But there's no analogue of that for lab equipment or high-performance computers. :( And love it or hate it, "brand-name" schools tend to be better funded, which is great for the reasons anthcat mentions, too.

(I don't want to start a whole sci vs. humanities debate--that's not my bag--so please feel free to kindly point out anything I may be overlooking here...)

Another way safeties don't make sense: if you're going to rack up the same giant heap of debt at a safety as you would at a reach. I could get my master's at BFE College... or I could pay the same amount of money to get a degree from a school that's worth a damn.

"GirlattheHelm," I thought of this the other day when you said SUNY-B was your safety and you didn't get in. I think state schools are difficult as a safety, this year, due to the economic downturn. I don't know if that helps, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Yeah, it helps actually. I also know Binghamton has a really good Anthropology Program. I'm hoping I get accepted to an MA somewhere (UVM!!) without even funding. Maybe...

The question:

I would actually be interested to hear how "In some fields applying for a safety school doesn't actually make that much sense".

And the answer:

The simple fact of the matter is, I'd rather not go to grad school at all if I can't get into the exact sort of program I would enjoy. Why devote five years of the prime of my life to a grad program I'm not totally interested in?

Re: job markets for people with PhDs from lower ranked programmes

PLEASE spend some time on the Chronicle forums. Ideally, one's work would speak for itself regardless of pedigree; unfortunately that isn't often the case in the real world.

I'm joining the club! Even if I didn't receive official rejection letters from all of the rest, I know they're coming. The one I'm praying for is ranked #2 in my field! Arghhh... I can't believe this is happening. :shock:

Suddenly I have Evan Almighty in my head...

Cue the Gospel Choir:

"Are you ready for a miracle? (Ready as I can be!) Are you ready for a miracle? (Ready to set you free!) Are you ready (ready) are you ready (ready) are you READY? Are you ready are you ready for a miracle!!"

tehee...yay for choir singers!

A miracle happened to me. Sort of. I thought I was totally out at my last school, since my friend heard via e-mail, whereas I didn't. I am, however, IN at my last school!

Problem now: No funding, yet. *gulp*

Hope the rest of you have miracles, too! :D

A miracle happened to me. Sort of. I thought I was totally out at my last school, since my friend heard via e-mail, whereas I didn't. I am, however, IN at my last school!

Problem now: No funding, yet. *gulp*

Hope the rest of you have miracles, too! :D

wow congrats... wooohoo :D

i'm still waiting on georgetown.. does anyone know if they accept people via postal mail....and just email those they accept.

Originally I applied to 7 schools. Of those, I am now 6 rejections and 1 waitlist.

I initiated back-up apps and have an interview at one and nothing yet from the other.

Here's hoping for a miracle.

I did exactly the same when I found out I didn't get into most of my programs. I just applied for two more backup schools. (And actually found one that sounds AWESOME! :D )

I hope I get in!!

Out of my first round of apps, I only have 2 schools left. (well, one, if you count the fact I wanted to go straight for a PhD :roll: )

Good luck everyone!!

Originally I applied to 7 schools. Of those, I am now 6 rejections and 1 waitlist.

I initiated back-up apps and have an interview at one and nothing yet from the other.

Here's hoping for a miracle.

::Fingers Crossed for Viking::

If worse comes to worse...we could commandeer a ship and become pirates. You're pretty good with the naval stuff...we could make it work :D

Hang in there girl, you'll get it.

well, here I am, too.

one school left to hear from and also hoping for a miracle.

I'm also hoping to just plain hear from them at all before I totally lose my sanity.

When did the last reject come in? Thought you had two more to go? This is lame. I'm sorry. Fingers crossed for you though!