Waitlisted - waiting for your school AND everyone else's

RubyBright

I received a waitlist today from one of my top choices. Luckily, the letter said that they have given their first round admits until the end of the month to formally declare their intention to enroll. After that, second round acceptances will be made based off of the waitlist.

At least it won't be too long of a wait. 

Hi everyone. I was waitlisted at my top choice program about 5 weeks ago, and e-mailed back and forth with the secretary about it, but she wasn't able to give me much information at that time. Do you think it would be a good idea to e-mail her to let her know that, although I know she might not have any additional information about my status, I am still interested in attending the program? I have been silent because I don't want to bother them, but I don't want my silence to be perceived as disinterest.

Guest HEPhD13

General feedback from department and POI is that they want me in the program, they're hopeful, and they have their fingers crossed for me, with undercurrent of "patience, grasshopper". (Anyone else bummed by the "we want you!....but not enough to fund/accept you first round" sentiments, btw?)

I completely agree! I have been rejected at 3 schools and waitlisted at 3 others-- the "we want you and like you but not like, like you" is getting a bit old at this point. It's frustrating, disheartening, and a bit upsetting. All there is to do now is wait some more-- I've been told mid-April but who really knows... 

Good luck to all!

Guest HEPhD13

Hi everyone. I was waitlisted at my top choice program about 5 weeks ago, and e-mailed back and forth with the secretary about it, but she wasn't able to give me much information at that time. Do you think it would be a good idea to e-mail her to let her know that, although I know she might not have any additional information about my status, I am still interested in attending the program? I have been silent because I don't want to bother them, but I don't want my silence to be perceived as disinterest.

I would definitely let them know you are still interested in the program. If it were up to me, I would even email the POI or director of the program and reiterate your interest. Good luck!

I would definitely let them know you are still interested in the program. If it were up to me, I would even email the POI or director of the program and reiterate your interest. Good luck!

Thank you!

Guest hopefulfool

I completely agree! I have been rejected at 3 schools and waitlisted at 3 others-- the "we want you and like you but not like, like you" is getting a bit old at this point. It's frustrating, disheartening, and a bit upsetting. All there is to do now is wait some more-- I've been told mid-April but who really knows... 

Good luck to all!

I feel exactly the same way. I don't like being the "in between" person. Its either you like me or hate me. I don't think there should be a 3rd option. 

It's tough to know if one is being a nuisance with email. I'm all for advocating for myself, but I wonder about seeming too needy or demanding.

Do you think directors email "very short waiting list" to signify that they are confident in your chances, or to keep you from feeling bummed about being on a waitlist?

I think they want you to know that there's a good chance you'll make it off the list, so that you don't dismiss their program.

Meanwhile, I just keep checking my waitlisted application again and again... Really wondering when I'll receive my final decision.

this emailing the DGS to let them know that your interested is really tricky...even I keep wondering about being a nuisance....my DGS at the top school wrote an email to tell me that they took 5 people and have a non ranked waitlist of 4 people....now I wrote to her saying I had offers (which she knew about since I used to email her earlier about getting a decision!!!) and now she said she does not know what will happen...but says by the end of this week she should have some information for me and that she will email me and that I could also email her...now the tricky part is also she says that 'please feel free to contact me' I still dont want to pester...this wait listed business is terrible!

Isn't it? I keep thinking that every day that passes makes it more likely that I'll hear back soon, but I have this terrible feeling that I won't hear anything until after April 15, when it's too late.

waitlist-ish land?

I was told yesterday that the first round of admissions were sent out today and that I was not among the first round, but was still in the running.

The email stated that although they could not say much more (informal email from POI) I had not been rejected, was still in the running and was not on the reversion list.

Can somebody make sense of this for me? I'm wait listed at another top choice but that email seemed to be far more direct.

waitlist-ish land?

I was told yesterday that the first round of admissions were sent out today and that I was not among the first round, but was still in the running.

The email stated that although they could not say much more (informal email from POI) I had not been rejected, was still in the running and was not on the reversion list.

Can somebody make sense of this for me? I'm wait listed at another top choice but that email seemed to be far more direct.

Schools usually send out offers to their top candidates first, sometimes to bribe them into coming, other times so they could meet deadlines in nominating them for fellowships. In addition, they want to make sure these candidates are truly interested before going all out to nominate them for university fellowship. Having made their first offers doesn't mean they won't accept others. I was a top candidate for one of my programs who accepted 8-9 students during their first round but told me that they intended to accept around 15-25 students total. Maybe that's what your situation is. However, I don't know for sure. The only people who would know would be the admissions committee at your program of interest.

Guest HEPhD13

waitlist-ish land?

Not sure if this is the case, but some schools have an unofficial waitlist and their admissions process doesn't fully support having students in limbo. Gives them less of a responsibility to their students and they can just keep you on hold with no official status.

I had a school that told me the same thing and they were just super vague. It turned out that if they had a legit waitlist, they would have had to bring me to campus during their preview days with the accepted students.

Whatever happens, good luck!

I declined an offer today because of insufficient funding. It made me really sad, but then I cheered up when I realized someone on their waitlist is going to get an offer now.  :)

Now I'm just hoping someone at the school I'm waitlisted for does the same! 

Glad i found this thread. I couldn't figure out why i felt so dejected about being waitlisted from my top choice, but its good to know others feel the same. The waitlist letter i received was vague, unhelpful, and contained several grammar/spelling errors which added insult to injury. Oh well. Probably going to stay on the waitlist and see what happens.

I am wait listed by Georgetown Public Policy Institute, Master of Public Policy program. I have no idea how many people they wait listed and what is my position on that list... I think I am going to undergo a period of sour time until the final decision comes to me...

I'm starting to wonder when it's acceptable to email and ask about the status of the waitlist. Anyone have experience with this? I was told I was waitlisted over a month ago, and have heard nothing since then.

psuedo waitlisted at the only school that hasn't rejected me

DGS says i'm on the shortlist as per the recommendation of the admission committee but no doctoral advisor has taken in an interest in my file yet

i guess it's better than a rejection but that still doesn't sound good, fml

@ruby most schools are having spring break right now no? I think it is ok to ask if a month has gone by.....

I guess I should check when theirs is; my school already had our break.

psuedo waitlisted at the only school that hasn't rejected me

DGS says i'm on the shortlist as per the recommendation of the admission committee but no doctoral advisor has taken in an interest in my file yet

i guess it's better than a rejection but that still doesn't sound good, fml

That's hard, sdx! Did you have a POI you could email at the school?

I guess I should check when theirs is; my school already had our break.

That's hard, sdx! Did you have a POI you could email at the school?

sadly no, as this program was kind of a backup; just gotta hope i win the lottery lol

I just got waitlisted today and while I've been accepted elsewhere I don't have funding information yet. I'm having trouble deciding if I should wait and see or if I should just withdraw from the waitlist.

It's logical to assume that they've already given out most of the aid and scholarships to the people who got first-round acceptances, right? So I have little to no chance of getting any. Will they bump someone else onto the waitlist if I go off, or will it not really benefit anyone? It seems like the place where I already have an acceptance has a better chance of being financially feasible, and the programs are similar in length and method so it just comes down to cost.... I guess I just don't want to "give up," even though more waiting is a drag.

Edited by Coleoptera-Kinbote

I just got waitlisted today and while I've been accepted elsewhere I don't have funding information yet. I'm having trouble deciding if I should wait and see or if I should just withdraw from the waitlist.

It's logical to assume that they've already given out most of the aid and scholarships to the people who got first-round acceptances, right? So I have little to no chance of getting any. Will they bump someone else onto the waitlist if I go off, or will it not really benefit anyone? It seems like the place where I already have an acceptance has a better chance of being financially feasible, and the programs are similar in length and method so it just comes down to cost.... I guess I just don't want to "give up," even though more waiting is a drag.

Funding varies by program, but obviously if the people on the first-round decline their offers, they won't be using that financial aid. So it will theoretically go to people who are being accepted off the waitlist (barring specific fellowships that require nominations). I know that the school I'm waitlisted at funds everyone who is admitted. So if I'm given an offer later, it will include funding.