Waiting for Guffman (the waitlist thread)

Rejected from Brandeis' waitlist -- that's it for 2013, folks. See you this fall. Congrats again to everyone who made it this year -- you'll do great! 2014ers, you'll be hearing from me soon!

I'm so sorry, this breaks my heart. I bet you'll do exceptionally well next year!

Ditto.  Aside from all the academic aspirations and fulfilling my dreams, I want to get into school to avoid taking the bloody damned test again.  ETS is satan's layer, and I don't wanna go back.

Also congrats Concert!!!!!!  Just don't look at our weather.  The university is great.

Holy Hell, what an appropriate Freudian slip.

This makes me feel better. Also, in case anyone else here is looking for a way to pep me up, who wants to take the gre for me? Just thinking about retaking that goddamn test is making me teary-eyed.

Do you need to retake it? If you have scores that are within acceptable range (depending on the department), you may not really need to focus on the GRE. Remember that the GRE isn't exactly a major factor--not nearly as important as the writing sample, SOP, and letters.

Jumping on here to, unfortunately, be the bearer of bad news. I just shared this on the results board:

I've been in touch with Prof. Patricia Sullivan, director of Purdue's Rhet/Comp program. The last remaining unconfirmed slot of the Fall 2013 Rhet/Comp Ph.D. cohort declared acceptance today. I am sorry to deliver bad news to anyone who was on the tacit wait-list for this program: you should receive an official rejection soon if you have not already. Here's hoping you have good prospects elsewhere: good April 15th luck to you all!

I don't know if anyone here was still waiting on Purdue Rhet/Comp, but thought you should know sooner if you were still waiting it out, esp. if you had another offer waiting in the wings.

Shut out.  Princeton took zero people from its waitlist this year (as was the case last year).

I don't think I'm going to do this again. I put out a badass application, and can't think of what I'd have done differently.  Might be time to double down at work and finally declare myself graduated from all forms of school.

Shut out.  Princeton took zero people from its waitlist this year (as was the case last year).

I don't think I'm going to do this again. I put out a badass application, and can't think of what I'd have done differently.  Might be time to double down at work and finally declare myself graduated from all forms of school.

I think the fact that Princeton waitlisted you is evidence that if you apply to a longer list of schools you have a very good chance to get in. Certain posters have pointed out repeatedly (nowmoreserious) how important it is to apply widely (even if you insist on only doing top tier programs, you can still do MORE of them). Think of it this way (as i did while reapplying TWICE): next fall is going to come and go ANYWAY, so why not have your applications out there when results start coming back??!! can't win if you don't play...

I feel like I'm pulling you back into a cult, but... you only applied to six schools!  And the Princeton wait list is a sign that your application was strong and you were on the right track.  Maybe try again, but put more like 10 applications out there?

I was working with a limited budget for applications, and wanted to go somewhere a) awesome and B) within driving distance of DC. I have a new job, so if I did apply again, perhaps I'd have more resources, but carpet bombing English departments wasn't in the cards this round.

Perhaps not limiting yourself to "elite" programs might increase your odds. If your Princeton waitlist is any indicator, you may have faired well at other lower ranked, but still very good programs. 

So Rochester Emailed me this morning.  Apparently they only had one WL spot to offer, and it got offered to someone else.

DGS said that person had a few weeks to make their decision, so I might not know for certain for a while yet, but that she was sorry she didn't have better news for me.

So I had a little meltdown, and am now working on reestablishing a positive attitude, and hoping the WL-er decides quickly, and that if they say no, that I could possibly maybe be in the small consideration pile.  She didn't actually say, since the list is unranked.

It's been an intense morning. Time to go continue the anxiety-march, I guess. Sigh.

Katia_chan, I am also wait-listed at Rochester and received the same email couple of hours ago. Since I was accepted at Minnesota yesterday, I am going to withdraw myself from their waitlist. I don't know whether my withdrawal will enhance your chance at Rochester or not, but hope it does in one way or another. And thanks for your lookout on Minnesota :)

Edited by concert

I'll take all the advantage I can get.  Thanks. :)

And again I'm so happy for you getting in to Minnesota.  It's really a fantastic campus, and a fun city.  You'll have a great time working there. :)

I'm also wait listed at Rochester (haven't removed myself for unknown reasons!?) but I did NOT receive that e-mail... weird. If I hear anything, I will certainly be removing myself from the list.

Edited by asleepawake

Well, you already accepted Buffalo, so you may as well take yourself off Rochester's list. 

And blueberryscone: I'd strongly recommend giving it one more shot. You applied at the very highest level, and you were waitlisted at one of them. I think that's an extremely positive indicator. However, what's more important to me is that you did not apply to some equally strong places--NYU? Hopkins? Chicago? You can create a larger target pool without lowering the level. 

• 4 weeks later...

Last unit reporting...Rochester finally made their call.  Time to get friendly with ETS again, and try not to vomit as I re-do my SoP for the bajillionth time.

2014 application season, here I come.

(after this long I was expecting this, I'm just put out at the idea of restarting the madness again).

I was working with a limited budget for applications, and wanted to go somewhere a) awesome and B) within driving distance of DC. I have a new job, so if I did apply again, perhaps I'd have more resources, but carpet bombing English departments wasn't in the cards this round.

However, what's more important to me is that you did not apply to some equally strong places--NYU? Hopkins? Chicago? You can create a larger target pool without lowering the level. 

Echoing Hopkins.  Great program, and definitely close to DC.

Last unit reporting...Rochester finally made their call.  Time to get friendly with ETS again, and try not to vomit as I re-do my SoP for the bajillionth time.

(after this long I was expecting this, I'm just put out at the idea of restarting the madness again).

Katia, I'm so sorry to hear.  And, not that this is going to make anything better for you, but my offer for GRE material still stands.  It's not awesome, but my method was to collect everything I could find.  So PM me your email if you want me to send you my PDFs.

I am sorry it didn't work out. Are you going to apply there again? If you are, and if you think it might help, I don't mind sending you the SOP I sent to them. Though I must say I think my acceptance to Rochester was very much a case of luck - the professor I wanted to work with there was on the adcomm, is just receiving tenure, and was looking for students to work with. PM me if you want.

Thank you lots, both of you.  Will be PM-ing you both in just a minute here--I'm going to snap up whatever resources I can. I fell more and more in love with this program the longer the process went on, so I'm going to do whatever I can to get in there.

(I effed up the quoting thing and my computer is rebelling. Ignore it).

Edited by Katia_chan

• 10 months later...