That awkward moment when...

melissaam

... you go to look into POI's research for the first time after submitting your application and find out that they are no longer at the institution. (or at least listed on the program's website) I also specifically mentioned how interested and excited I am by their work in my Personal Statement. OOPS!

Anyone else have something?

You walk into an interview sit down and discuss your interests with a member of the admissions committee. And her answer is "so I'm the crap interview that has nothing to do with what your interested in."

Me: "Your work is interesting too...."

...you're going to be spending 4 days at a professional conference surrounded by professors from your second-becoming-top choice school (as well as a few professors from a PhD program you're interested in for the not-so-distant future), probably right after you find out whether you got in...

Edited by pears

This is digital awkwardness, but I still thought it was super horrifiying.

That horrible moment when your friend points out that you mispelled a tribe name in your SOP, despite writing a 50 page paper in which they were frequenetly mentioned...AFTER you sent it to multiple schools.

Still got in (yay!), but the shame lingers...

Edited by spacezeppelin

...one of your recommenders tells you that they forgot to change the SCHOOL NAME throughout all 9 of your applications.  :o

Oh my goodness, that's horrible!!

Here's mine: Knowing that the professor you want to work with has his/her name spelled two different ways on the website and in his/her emails. Which one is correct?

You send off your resume with your application and it is perfect and awesome and you are SO proud of it! So much experience! And 5 professionals have helped you tweak and format it and at least 10 different people proofread it with you including a career center. Everything is perfect, except... THEY TYPO THAT YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE MISSED AFTER READING IT 100 TIMES.

ETA: It made me feel better that others were still accepted after little mistakes like these!

Edited by pandaloo

I want to hear more of this story

It was awful/hilarious, I saw the POIs name in my inbox and I was SO confused, since I'd already been rejected, and for a split second I was like... did they change their minds or something? But I opened it and was even more confused because it was an exchange of emails about the POIs life and students, with some pretty horrifically hilarious cynical not-quite-PC opinions, and I couldn't figure out why I had gotten it. Judging from the content, I think it was supposed to be cc'ed to someone whose last name starts with the same three letters as mine, and it must have autofilled my email instead of the right persons... I don't know if I should just ignore it or let the POI know I accidentally got it????? THIS IS SO AWKWARD AND ALSO DID I MENTION MY LAST INTERACTION WITH THIS POI WAS AN EMAIL TELLING ME I WAS REJECTED BECAUSE THAT MAKES THIS MORE AWKWARD. 

...one of your recommenders tells you that they forgot to change the SCHOOL NAME throughout all 9 of your applications.  :o

I thought I would respond to this one because it hits home hard. I something similar on a resume for a job application (soooooo awkward). I still got a interview, but when I walked in I saw it circled with a fat red pen mark on the person's desk. I'm fairly sure she left it there on purpose, because she never once picked it up to look at it.

I still got the job, so you never know. I think they may have let it slide because the firm name was crazy long and very hard to spell (I wrote the letter and intended to confirm it after). They cant really blame you for what a recommender did anyway.

A school you have been accepted to sends you a letter saying "We have received your enrollment confirmation. Thank you for confirming your intention to enroll at XYZ University" and you are completely clueless because you NEVER accepted or rejected their offer.

It was awful/hilarious, I saw the POIs name in my inbox and I was SO confused, since I'd already been rejected, and for a split second I was like... did they change their minds or something? But I opened it and was even more confused because it was an exchange of emails about the POIs life and students, with some pretty horrifically hilarious cynical not-quite-PC opinions, and I couldn't figure out why I had gotten it. Judging from the content, I think it was supposed to be cc'ed to someone whose last name starts with the same three letters as mine, and it must have autofilled my email instead of the right persons... I don't know if I should just ignore it or let the POI know I accidentally got it????? THIS IS SO AWKWARD AND ALSO DID I MENTION MY LAST INTERACTION WITH THIS POI WAS AN EMAIL TELLING ME I WAS REJECTED BECAUSE THAT MAKES THIS MORE AWKWARD.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but at least it's a hilarious story! Jeez how embarrassing (for the poi)

I declined an offer online and about 10-15 minutes later I got a call with a lovely, "We were really impressed with your application, I'm sure you heard from the dean of graduate studies...." jaunt only for me to say "Uh... I actually have decided to take another offer..." and there was an awkward silence before he said "Oh... so... you've already decided, then...?"

So awkward...