That awkward moment when...

melissaam

It was awful/hilarious, I saw the POIs name in my inbox and I was SO confused, since I'd already been rejected, and for a split second I was like... did they change their minds or something? But I opened it and was even more confused because it was an exchange of emails about the POIs life and students, with some pretty horrifically hilarious cynical not-quite-PC opinions, and I couldn't figure out why I had gotten it. Judging from the content, I think it was supposed to be cc'ed to someone whose last name starts with the same three letters as mine, and it must have autofilled my email instead of the right persons... I don't know if I should just ignore it or let the POI know I accidentally got it????? THIS IS SO AWKWARD AND ALSO DID I MENTION MY LAST INTERACTION WITH THIS POI WAS AN EMAIL TELLING ME I WAS REJECTED BECAUSE THAT MAKES THIS MORE AWKWARD. 

I have it on good authority that the petty correct answer is to black the names and post it on facebook :P

...you address an admissions director as "Mr." in an email after doing some diligent googling of [what turns out to be] her gender-ambiguous, non-Anglo/European first name, only to later call the graduate department after receiving no response and be asked by the receptionist if you want to leave "her" a message. Doh. Seriously though - every single person on the Internet with her first name is a man! Multiple Wikipedia entries. Countless LinkedIn profiles. How was I supposed to know?!

Also, that being CC'd story is incredible!

You mail in your personal statement and are in such a rush you forget to omit the part that says in big capital letters "INSERT STUFF ABOUT X COLLEGE HERE!"

This totally happened to me.....luckily the first person to get it was an assistant and a student and they emailed and called me telling me to reply back with my ACTUAL SOP. So I did and I actually got my acceptance from them. I never thought I would be so grateful for hard copy applications being required!

It was awful/hilarious, I saw the POIs name in my inbox and I was SO confused, since I'd already been rejected, and for a split second I was like... did they change their minds or something? But I opened it and was even more confused because it was an exchange of emails about the POIs life and students, with some pretty horrifically hilarious cynical not-quite-PC opinions, and I couldn't figure out why I had gotten it. Judging from the content, I think it was supposed to be cc'ed to someone whose last name starts with the same three letters as mine, and it must have autofilled my email instead of the right persons... I don't know if I should just ignore it or let the POI know I accidentally got it????? THIS IS SO AWKWARD AND ALSO DID I MENTION MY LAST INTERACTION WITH THIS POI WAS AN EMAIL TELLING ME I WAS REJECTED BECAUSE THAT MAKES THIS MORE AWKWARD. 

You HAVE to tell them. This is totally going to become this POI's favorite email, or least favorite email. EIther way, I think you should let them know, just very politely. Also, this completely beats my situation. I say this wins as of right now. (Not like its a competition)

...you address an admissions director as "Mr." in an email after doing some diligent googling of [what turns out to be] her gender-ambiguous, non-Anglo/European first name, only to later call the graduate department after receiving no response and be asked by the receptionist if you want to leave "her" a message. Doh. Seriously though - every single person on the Internet with her first name is a man! Multiple Wikipedia entries. Countless LinkedIn profiles. How was I supposed to know?!

Also, that being CC'd story is incredible!

Also usually the admissions director is a "Dr." I know professors that will not respond to an email where they are addressed as a Mrs.

Hilarious :D

You mail in your personal statement and are in such a rush you forget to omit the part that says in big capital letters "INSERT STUFF ABOUT X COLLEGE HERE!"

This totally happened to me.....luckily the first person to get it was an assistant and a student and they emailed and called me telling me to reply back with my ACTUAL SOP. So I did and I actually got my acceptance from them. I never thought I would be so grateful for hard copy applications being required!

Been there...Done that :D

Luckly I realized that with an application that enables resubmission of certian documents.

Also usually the admissions director is a "Dr." I know professors that will not respond to an email where they are addressed as a Mrs.

Maybe the meant the graduate coordinator rather than the DGS.

• 9 months later...

... When your LOR writer texts you around 10pm one night to let you know she sent off your LOR -- and then accidentally texts you again at 3 am, with a dirty text meant for her husband, who's out of town.

Teehee.

This thread is fantastic, really made me grin.

That time I got an email from one of my top choice schools stating that I had chosen to defer my admission from last years app season, and asking if I would like to be considered for admissions again this year.. (This is my first go around at grad school apps, obviously didn't even apply last year let alone defer)

... When your LOR writer texts you around 10pm one night to let you know she sent off your LOR -- and then accidentally texts you again at 3 am, with a dirty text meant for her husband, who's out of town.

Teehee.

This thread is fantastic, really made me grin.

This makes me glad that I don't text any of my recommendation writers. lol

That time I got an email from one of my top choice schools stating that I had chosen to defer my admission from last years app season, and asking if I would like to be considered for admissions again this year.. (This is my first go around at grad school apps, obviously didn't even apply last year let alone defer)

Is yours a common name?

Realizing you managed to apply to a completely different school than the one you thought you were. Two days before deadline, and you finally notice that logo isn't right. You already have transcripts in, the LORs are uploaded.

At that point you just curse, completely throw out the section on POI's in your personal statement, rewrite it with POIs for the school your application is actually for, change the school names, order GRE score reports to the school, and submit it. Because hey, at that point you might as well, right?

Okay, I just heard from a friend who is three years into a PhD program in the US.

She says she had to awkward moments: one, she accidentally sent a pic intended for her boyfriend's eyes only (cough, cough, we get it) to a POI. Two email windows open. Augh!

Two, she accidentally signed off one email to a POI with 'hugs'.

:D

I don't have much to go on yet. One mistake I made was typo-ing my former PI's name when I was assigning him as a recommender for one of my schools. And once I realized I'd typoed, there was no way to change it! So he undoubtedly got the rec request with his typoed name! :(

Edited by Adenine_Monarch

Okay, I just heard from a friend who is three years into a PhD program in the US.

She says she had to awkward moments: one, she accidentally sent a pic intended for her boyfriend's eyes only (cough, cough, we get it) to a POI. Two email windows open. Augh!

I just laughed out loud in lab.  Ugly whale noises.

Both to the same POI?

Both to the same POI?

BWAHAHAHA. 

No. :D

I did ask and she said she didn't apply to the first place at all, in sheer embarassment (a photo is too much to recover from). She did apply to the second one (rejected). But got in elsewhere. 

I just noticed my first mistake. I've submitted this writing sample to three places already with a statement at the beginning that says "originally written December 2013 for blah blah blah" except... I wrote it last year, 2012. I'm not even in school now, so.

They might not even notice though.

It's like when I had to write a summary of it for a reward once and said 19th century in my description... and later when I went to the event that included it, my mom of all people notices that it should be either 1900s or 20th century, not 19th. (Once again though, probably not something people really care about.)