That awkward moment when...

melissaam

When you go overboard in SOP saying how much you wanna work in Lab 1 and Lab 2 in university of X which is the "ideal" place for you only to realize you are applying to University of Y which doesn't actually have any Labs :( 

It was a little awkward when one of my schools sent me a nice email last week saying how they were very interested in me and thought I was a good fit, only to get a rejection letter yesterday. In the rejection letter, they said they would be happy to forward my application to the Neuroscience department since I would be a good fit there (which is what I applied to in the first place). 

It was a little awkward when one of my schools sent me a nice email last week saying how they were very interested in me and thought I was a good fit, only to get a rejection letter yesterday. In the rejection letter, they said they would be happy to forward my application to the Neuroscience department since I would be a good fit there (which is what I applied to in the first place).

Wait, what?!?

...when a school allows you to apply to two separate PhD programs, and you forgot what one of them is called.  x_x

"What'd you apply to CMU for?"

"Computer science!"

"Cool! Which program?"

"...Science!"

LOL I laughed myself to tears!

I know this feeling. I was 10 minutes late to an interview recently because I got a bloody nose. It was so embarrassing :(

Just happened to me this week. My nose started pouring blood a few minutes before a Skype interview for one of my schools. Anxiety of the interview didn't help with the blood flow. Ugh.

When you get rejected by 3 schools one week, then run into all 3 POIs at a major conference the very next week.

(one of them was actually very interested in my poster, then saw my name on it and scurried away as fast a humanly possible.)

Oh...that's jsut mean.

... you misunderstand something in an emailed offer and think you don't have a final offer -- but you do, and you've actually conveyed to someone at the grad school that you haven't received that final offer. Duh, duh, duh. 

The only good thing is, they can't take it back on grounds of idiocy once they've made the offer, right? 

Reatha, on 28 Feb 2013 - 12:18 AM, said:

You walk into an interview sit down and discuss your interests with a member of the admissions committee. And her answer is "so I'm the crap interview that has nothing to do with what your interested in."

Me: "Your work is interesting too...."

Exactly. Happened over Skype.

..when you have to send the following mail to four universities after you submit the online application.

QuoteQuote
Dear YYYY,

This is a query regarding the online application.

There are two famous authors, namely, Edward Larson and Jerry Coyne. As a prospective member of the former's readership, and an admirer of the latter's work, I have unwittingly amalgamated the two names to form "Edward Coyne"--an Australian rugby player who had little to do with inspiring me to pursue research at XXYXX University--in my Statement of Purpose.

May I submit a second version of the SoP that appropriately refers to Jerry Coyne instead of Edward Coyne? I am extremely sorry for this, and I completely understand if this is not possible. However, I would be very grateful if the admissions committee allowed it.

Thank you for reading,

XXXX

Two let me submit a new SoP, one attached it to my application, and one never got back. I hope this doesn't hurt my chances...

Edited by DGChaos

...when you spend ages cleaning your room for a Skype interview only to realize you have your pants hanging in full view of the camera--fifteen minutes into the conversation--and you try to hide it by sitting at an angle.

..when you have to send the following mail to four universities after you submit the online application.

Two let me submit a new SoP, one attached it to my application, and one never got back. I hope this doesn't hurt my chances...

Oh my God ..that's just so funny :lol:  

I hope you get accepted into the 4 schools ,though !

...when you email a statement of interest with CV and transcript copies to a professor and realize you misspelled his surname. I went back to fix this and then realized that I had sent my email NOT to the professor, but to an entire LISTSERV. DAMNIT. So, I had to send an apology email to the listserv, and then another apology email to the professor.

Whoops. God, that was embarrassing.

As an engineer, scoring higher on the verbal section of the GRE leading to people telling you that you make be in the wrong field. Or people assuming that I entered my scores wrong.

I'm afraid to tell anyone else, I've gotten so many eyebrow raises, haha. The worst part is in addition to my main major, I have a second degree... In math.

Oh my God ..that's just so funny :lol:  

I hope you get accepted into the 4 schools ,though !

I haven't been accepted, but three of them interviewed me. And even in one of the interviews, when asked about writers who inspired me, I actually said Edwa--Jerry Coyne. It's been burned into my brain!

All I can do is hope.

I'm waiting to see what the fourth uni does. No news from there yet.

After receiving my admission e-mail in glee, I forwarded it to my friend saying that even though I was excited about getting in,  I would probably not go there. But instead of actually forwarding it to the friend, I replied back to the POI!

Hilarious! Please do let us know how came the reply. Hope he/she has a sense of humor.

Hilarious! Please do let us know how came the reply. Hope he/she has a sense of humor.

Oh most definitely (he calls it a 'brain fart' moment), he even offered to call so that we could discuss some of the issues why i didn't want to go there..and after that conversation- i must admit they're back in the mix...