That awkward moment when...

melissaam

• 9 months later...

When you realize a week after you turned in an app that you wrote down a POI's name incorrectly in your SoP. Not mispelled, just out of order, since they have two last names (I wrote it "A"-"B" instead of "B"-"A") and I guess I had a dyslexic moment when writing down all of my potential POIs.

That's the worst thing I've found so far. Praying nothing else comes up :unsure:

Hopefully it was OK to bump this thread. B)

Guest lacrosse789

... when you select the WRONG PROGRAM on your application and the graduate coordinator lets you know four days before the deadline... and you have to get your letter writers to re-submit their letters by Dec. 1 & mail new transcripts to the correct department. 

When you write in your SOP about how you think Prof X's research is so cool, and then after submitting your application you see Prof X on CNN for killing his wife with cyanide...

I think you won this topic.

LOL.

University of Pittsburgh, see here: http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/08/justice/pennsylvania-doctor-cyanide-poisoning/

His info was still on the department website when I applied! I almost hope I don't get an interview there because I might die of awkwardness.

Obviously, I immediately googled it after I read your post :) It looks really strange though. The way the article describes the events he made some very simple mistakes like ordering cyanide the day before. Anyway, I'm not going to start an offtopic discussion.

When you accidentally delete the early acceptance email from one of your top choice programs, thinking it's another recruitment email from a school that found you with the GRE search service. To be fair, I have received a lot of those, and I didn't know they offered admission to anyone before February! I only noticed when I got a second email from a professor in the group I'm interested in that opened with "As <grad coordinator> has undoubtedly told you, ..."

I submitted my applications a month ago so my LORs could finish the online applications before the holidays, and I have been hinting that they need to complete them.

Well they haven't completed one because it wasn't sent, it wasn't sent because I didn't read the directions so well. I learned this after 2 weeks of contacting the school.... DOH

My first choice school too

This happened to a friend of mine last year:

Due to a lack of same sex graduate student hosting options, my friend (he) was placed with a female host during interview weekend. Turns out, the girl was an ex-girlfriend that he had a traumatic break-up with 4 years prior and they had not spoken since.

This happened to a friend of mine last year:

Due to a lack of same sex graduate student hosting options, my friend (he) was placed with a female host during interview weekend. Turns out, the girl was an ex-girlfriend that he had a traumatic break-up with 4 years prior and they had not spoken since.

Wow, awkward. Was she a student in the program he was interviewing for?

Wow, awkward. Was she a student in the program he was interviewing for?

Yes she was. They had not been in contact and he had no idea that she went there. They were in the same department as undergrads and both heading to grad school eventually, but still...he was floored. 

Cyanide and ex-girlfriends. Wow. Cant say I've experienced anything so traumatic. My most awkward moment (besides not getting in anywhere last year) was one of the rejection e-mails I recieved.

Penn State e-mailed me, and the subject heading was "PSU decline." I hadnt gotten an interview, so I knew it was coming, but still. All the others has still left a shred of hope with generic "Application Decision" kind of headings, and I could open them after preparing myself. This one afforded no preparation time, it just sat in my inbox a Big. Fat. NO.

This past May I was submitting some requests for information to a couple departments, and I pasted my generic inquiry paragraph into the form then submitted it without changing the name of the last school I had sent it to. 

The graduate program admin responded back with a link to the other program's website, and nothing else.  Oops :unsure:

LOL.

University of Pittsburgh, see here: http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/08/justice/pennsylvania-doctor-cyanide-poisoning/

His info was still on the department website when I applied! I almost hope I don't get an interview there because I might die of awkwardness.

I almost died of awkwardness for you just reading that. Honestly though, that is a brilliant share and I feel the insane urge to Google all of my POI's names now...

Can't say I have anything so bad as POIs accused of murder or having to stay with an ex, but it's still early.

Unnecessarily sending paper copies of LORs a week after the application was due (all three of them were already submitted online) because there were two sets of instructions.

Told by a school that all of my materials are in and being forwarded to the department the day of the deadline only to receive an email two days later that they’re missing an LOR. An LOR that has to be submitted by post within two days.

• 2 weeks later...

I got an email from a university about FAFSA. I forwarded it to my friend and it said "time ta do some taxes bitches. help me- I'm poor."

Yeah, I forwarded it not to my friend but a guy on admissions.... he responded with a long polite email about how they didn't have my tax information, and I should seek help for my FAFSA.  I responded, and explained I was morbidly embarrassed and that my friend who does my taxes has his same name, and that was an accidental email.

Luckily, he immediately responded back and said that was the first email during the whole admissions process that made him laugh, and it was ok, sending a wrong email just showed I was human.

He was cool but still, how awkward. 

I got an email from a university about FAFSA. I forwarded it to my friend and it said "time ta do some taxes bitches. help me- I'm poor."

Yeah, I forwarded it not to my friend but a guy on admissions.... he responded with a long polite email about how they didn't have my tax information, and I should seek help for my FAFSA.  I responded, and explained I was morbidly embarrassed and that my friend who does my taxes has his same name, and that was an accidental email.

Luckily, he immediately responded back and said that was the first email during the whole admissions process that made him laugh, and it was ok, sending a wrong email just showed I was human.

He was cool but still, how awkward. 

At least it wasn't an e-mail to your accountant friend on how best to cook the books to get admissions to give you more money than you'd really need.