The (un)official Duke Sanford MPP Thread!

@Connie @ TheArtofApplying Thank you so much for your lengthy and thoughtful response! I am definitely planning to visit with my spouse to help with the future decision-making process, but I really am trying to get as much info as possible beforehand because it's not that much time to make a decision. I had a feeling that Sanford's cohort was younger, but that's okay as we are both on the younger side too. Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to start this back up in case anyone else is considering the Sanford school. I applied for the MPP program. They said to expect to hear back in mid-March, which I'm hoping takes places before they let out for spring break on March 10th. Anyone else out there applying to Duke?

I am very much looking forward to hearing from Duke. Alumni and staff there, as well as forum posts here, have given me an amazing impression of the program. I was so excited when my video got viewed in early February, haha.

On 3/1/2017 at 5:31 PM, ginger_root said:

Do you think Duke are generous with their financial aid package? I can't find the stats anywhere

I heard from a current student that Sanford is known for being FinAid generous. He applied to peer schools, got admitted with various funding and Sanford came through for him. Apart from scholarship, there are small fellowships and $ assistance to fund unpaid summer internships.

On 3/1/2017 at 11:31 AM, ginger_root said:

Do you think Duke are generous with their financial aid package? I can't find the stats anywhere

I heard it was generous as well, especially if you're Americorps (they are guaranteed 14k + fellowship if accepted). I really hope we find out early next week!

20 hours ago, fallmpp2017 said:

I heard it was generous as well, especially if you're Americorps (they are guaranteed 14k + fellowship if accepted). I really hope we find out early next week!

@fallmpp2017 Looking through the official results from last year, looks like they released decisions on March 4th, 2016 (which was the first Friday of the month). And Duke's spring break starts after this upcoming week, so I'd be really surprised if we don't hear back sometime next week.

17 minutes ago, lookwhathappened said:

Accepted with $21k funding. Just got an email to check the admissions portal. I'm so pumped !

Exact same! I am so excited! This is going to be tough decision. 

Was accepted with $21k. Do most students do assistantships? (I'm an international student which means that I can only get one if it's available). Duke's definitely a top choice, since my interests are health and social policy, and I'm very happy. But I was really hoping for more funding. Do you think it is possible/wise to negotiate the offer?

1 minute ago, momo92 said:

Was accepted with $21k. Do most students do assistantships? (I'm an international student which means that I can only get one if it's available). Duke's definitely a top choice, since my interests are health and social policy, and I'm very happy. But I was really hoping for more funding. Do you think it is possible/wise to negotiate the offer?

I would like to know the same thing. Any current Duke students, what are the chances of me securing financial aid once enrolled( TA/RA positions)? Is there any other aid available? 

Also, there is a condition on the acceptance offer. I have not taken an economics course in my undergrad and I need to get a B on a economics course taken from an accredited institution. I'm an International student and there isn't any such facility available in my country here. My options are online courses. Can anyone recommend a few? 

I'll be emailing the university, of course, but I would like to know from someone who has fulfilled prerequisites in this way in the past years.

17 minutes ago, lookwhathappened said:

Also, there is a condition on the acceptance offer. I have not taken an economics course in my undergrad and I need to get a B on a economics course taken from an accredited institution. I'm an International student and there isn't any such facility available in my country here. My options are online courses. Can anyone recommend a few? 

I'll be emailing the university, of course, but I would like to know from someone who has fulfilled prerequisites in this way in the past years.

I think I had asked one of the universities and they had recommended UCLA Extension. But yes, same boat, would love to hear from others.

Edited by momo92

On 3/7/2017 at 4:44 PM, momo92 said:

@momo92, you and @dollybird seem to be in the same boat regarding financial aid! I highly suggest you negotiate the offer. You have literally nothing to lose - they can't rescind admissions offers just because you ask for more money. The best thing is to negotiate by telling them that another school gave you a better offer, like a full-ride, but that you would like to attend Sanford if you can have more money, and ask them to match it. Be ready to send them some proof you actually did get a better offer, like the other school's award letter. I suggest only negotiating with your top choices to make the decision easier for yourself. The school will likely get back to you only a few days before the deadline, because the amount of extra aid available depends on how many other people are accepting their offer and their aid, so they'll wait until they hear from more people to know how much money is left in the pool. 

About assistantships, most people do get one, but I knew some int'l students who had assistantships too. It just depends. There are usually other on-campus work-study opportunities. I got another internship my first year in the fall semester, which was in Raleigh. 

I hope that helps. Also, please reach out to the Admissions office to be connected with current students with your interests, directly email professors that you want to talk to, message alums you're interested in talking to on LinkedIn, etc. etc. Now that you're admitted students, you're definitely going to get more attention from anyone that you want to talk to at Sanford! And visit if you can. I think Sanford makes a fabulous impression in person, and the weather doesn't hurt either. 

@chocolatecheesecake Unfortunately, the thing is that I don't have a better offer haha. But I wish I did! Which is why I want to ask for more. Do you think I can ask even if I don't have a better offer? Honestly, if Duke gave me better aid, I think I would definitely go. Should I mention that?

Thank you for the rest of the advice! I have reached out to students; should probably start reaching out to professors also.

I joined the online session today. It was so sad when the director of fin aid (Misty I think) said that if we request for additional funding, don't expect to much. we may get a few thousands extra at most...so I think I will go somewhere else. I really loved the school though.

22 hours ago, ginger_root said:

I joined the online session today. It was so sad when the director of fin aid (Misty I think) said that if we request for additional funding, don't expect to much. we may get a few thousands extra at most...so I think I will go somewhere else. I really loved the school though.

Wow really? I was hoping they would match another offer, but I guess that probably will not happen then. Thank you for sharing the info! 

I  got this email from Duke this morning: 

" Closer to our April 15 deadline, we will re-evaluate our funding status to determine whether there is the possibility of reassigning any scholarship awards that are declined [...] please note that students who receive additional funding typically do not receive more than a few thousand more per year than their original award offer. "

With the very small chance of funding increase, my only hope is for other admits to turn down their offers...I know I said that I would go elsewhere but after a lot of self reflection, my heart still tells me to choose Duke over Harris and Goldman.

If you have no intention of attending or have better offer(s) elsewhere, would you please help your fellow out by declining your offer as soon as possible? I am desperate...

Edited by ginger_root

For anyone with a conditional acceptance, how do you feel about accepting the admissions offer knowing that you still have to get a B on one/two courses and have that hanging above your head as opposed to accepting an offer without conditions?

Duke's my top choice, but I will be a little anxious in the months leading up to the completion of my online courses and submissions of the transcripts before August. 

49 minutes ago, lookwhathappened said:

For anyone with a conditional acceptance, how do you feel about accepting the admissions offer knowing that you still have to get a B on one/two courses and have that hanging above your head as opposed to accepting an offer without conditions?

Duke's my top choice, but I will be a little anxious in the months leading up to the completion of my online courses and submissions of the transcripts before August. 

I feel you on this and have the same thought re: anxiety. . . then again if we can't get a B in our Community College Econ course, we probably don't deserve Sanford anyway, amirite?