Los Angeles, CA

Guest ucla

Hey All, I would love some neighborhood advice. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see any of LA besides Westwood and the airport when I visited and have no feel for what LA is like. I currently live in San Francisco (did not grow up here though) where everyone is pretty biased against LA, so it's hard to get real advice! 

Are there walkable, fun neighborhoods within biking distance of campus? By walkable I mean I could easily walk to a grocery store, bars, shops etc. in that area/neighborhood. I understand LA is HUGE and not walkable as a whole, I just prefer not driving to hang out at a coffee shop or have a beer. I really really would prefer to bus or bike to campus - I am used to biking on busy roads up next to cars so that will not be a problem, 5-6 miles away is probably my limit (i.e. Santa Monica or West Hollywood). I appreciate any suggestions!

Hey All, I would love some neighborhood advice. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see any of LA besides Westwood and the airport when I visited and have no feel for what LA is like. I currently live in San Francisco (did not grow up here though) where everyone is pretty biased against LA, so it's hard to get real advice! 

Are there walkable, fun neighborhoods within biking distance of campus? By walkable I mean I could easily walk to a grocery store, bars, shops etc. in that area/neighborhood. I understand LA is HUGE and not walkable as a whole, I just prefer not driving to hang out at a coffee shop or have a beer. I really really would prefer to bus or bike to campus - I am used to biking on busy roads up next to cars so that will not be a problem, 5-6 miles away is probably my limit (i.e. Santa Monica or West Hollywood). I appreciate any suggestions!

I live right off Santa Monica Blvd right now, around Barrington. This neighborhood is extremely walkable, with two indie movie theaters and restaurants and bars up the wazoo. There's going to be a new Pavilions up soon as well. Since you're into biking, it's a great area. If you have a car, you'll find out that it's a traffic hellhole.

The same few blocks up to Wilshire are also very walkable with a Ralphs and tons of bars and restaurants too.

I live right off Santa Monica Blvd right now, around Barrington. This neighborhood is extremely walkable, with two indie movie theaters and restaurants and bars up the wazoo. There's going to be a new Pavilions up soon as well. Since you're into biking, it's a great area. If you have a car, you'll find out that it's a traffic hellhole.

The same few blocks up to Wilshire are also very walkable with a Ralphs and tons of bars and restaurants too.

Great, thanks :) That's definitely within my bike commuting range. 

Edited by nutellarain

Does anyone have any information about Keystone/Mentone, Venice/Barry, or Rose Avenue apartments? How are they compared to Weyburn and Hilgard?

le prospective grad.

I did my undergrad at UCLA and I've been to most of these apartments.

Do you have a car? IF not, DO NOT live in the Venice Barry apartments. Its far away, I think its close to university park. There is no way you are going to be able to bus it to campus from here (I mean you could but it would take a while). Biking will be a bitch as well. You're going to be in lab late with rotations/classes etc. You do not want to have to deal with buses/biking (especially with crazy LA drivers) to apartments every day.

Keystone/Mentone: I had to look this one up cuz I've never heard of it, but its also far from campus.

Rose Avenue: I actually like these ones, I've been to a few house parties at these apartments and they are not bad on the inside.

Personally, If you can afford it with the stipend I would choose Weyburn. They were almost finished when I graduated so there practically brand new and they are furnished I think. The apartments are right across the street from whole foods and like 2-3 blocks from Trader Joes/Ralphs. If you don't have a car these apartments would be ideal. There are bars within walking distance like Maloney's... BrewCo closed the year I graduated (still not happy about that). There's a theater in westwood. And student favs like Diddy Reese/Buck Fitty.

If you have a car/$$ issues, Rose avenue isn't bad. I would also look at cragslist(obviously).

I hope some of this was helpful. PM me if you have specific questions.

CONGRATS on choosing UCLA Fellow Bruin!

le prospective grad.

I did my undergrad at UCLA and I've been to most of these apartments.

Do you have a car? IF not, DO NOT live in the Venice Barry apartments. Its far away, I think its close to university park. There is no way you are going to be able to bus it to campus from here (I mean you could but it would take a while). Biking will be a bitch as well. You're going to be in lab late with rotations/classes etc. You do not want to have to deal with buses/biking (especially with crazy LA drivers) to apartments every day.

Keystone/Mentone: I had to look this one up cuz I've never heard of it, but its also far from campus.

Rose Avenue: I actually like these ones, I've been to a few house parties at these apartments and they are not bad on the inside.

Personally, If you can afford it with the stipend I would choose Weyburn. They were almost finished when I graduated so there practically brand new and they are furnished I think. The apartments are right across the street from whole foods and like 2-3 blocks from Trader Joes/Ralphs. If you don't have a car these apartments would be ideal. There are bars within walking distance like Maloney's... BrewCo closed the year I graduated (still not happy about that). There's a theater in westwood. And student favs like Diddy Reese/Buck Fitty.

If you have a car/$$ issues, Rose avenue isn't bad. I would also look at cragslist(obviously).

I hope some of this was helpful. PM me if you have specific questions.

CONGRATS on choosing UCLA Fellow Bruin!

Thank you that was very helpful!

Hi! I was recently admitted to UCLA's MS in CS and am planning to go there. I'm looking at the housing options, and noticed that Weyburn and Hilgard have set "per-student" contract rates, but Keystone/Mentone, Rose Avenue, and Venice/Barry simply list a monthly rent (for example, $1289/month for a 1br/1ba at Keystone/Mentone) and mention that 1br apartments can have up to two students and 2br apartments can have up to 4 students. Does this mean that for the aforementioned $1289/month 1br/1ba--with two students living in it--it would actually be ~$645/month per student?

I think I made this question sound more complicated than it is. It might not end up mattering, since it does not seem that the Housing Office matches you with a roommate for these kinds of apartments, and I'm not sure how I'd find one otherwise.

(I'm going to call the housing office tomorrow and ask, I just missed their hours today).

Hi! I was recently admitted to UCLA's MS in CS and am planning to go there. I'm looking at the housing options, and noticed that Weyburn and Hilgard have set "per-student" contract rates, but Keystone/Mentone, Rose Avenue, and Venice/Barry simply list a monthly rent (for example, $1289/month for a 1br/1ba at Keystone/Mentone) and mention that 1br apartments can have up to two students and 2br apartments can have up to 4 students. Does this mean that for the aforementioned $1289/month 1br/1ba--with two students living in it--it would actually be ~$645/month per student?

I think I made this question sound more complicated than it is. It might not end up mattering, since it does not seem that the Housing Office matches you with a roommate for these kinds of apartments, and I'm not sure how I'd find one otherwise.

(I'm going to call the housing office tomorrow and ask, I just missed their hours today).

I called them this morning. For anyone who is wondering, the listed cost of apartments in Mentone, Rose, etc (all except Hilgard and Weyburn), IS to be split between the number of students to be living there. This includes even the two bedroom apartments-- that listed cost would be split between the two students should one be living in each room!

Maybe a thread should be started for incoming UCLA graduate students looking for on-campus apartment-mates? (I could start it, I just don't know if it's against the rules. I don't personally know anyone else who is going to UCLA, unfortunately).

Edited by Cambienta

One more post to let anyone who's looking for a roommate know that UCLA has a very convenient website for finding roommates and sublets. Hurray!

https://housing.ucla.edu/community-housing

Hey, I am doing MSCS too @UCLA! Haha, looks like you are in the same boat as I am, trying to look for a place that doesn't kill our wallet. Westwood...

One more post to let anyone who's looking for a roommate know that UCLA has a very convenient website for finding roommates and sublets. Hurray!

https://housing.ucla.edu/community-housing

Hey, I am doing MSCS too @UCLA! Haha, looks like you are in the same boat as I am, trying to look for a place that doesn't kill our wallet. Westwood...

I am planning to attend for MS also so let me know if such thread for only us MS CS people to help us get organized! I also am too poor for Westwood standards.

Can someone point me in the direction of the parking pass costs per semester? I searched all around and failed. I have a vespa that I could drive to campus but if parking passes cost a lot, I'd rather just move somewhere close to a Metro line and take that in.

http://transnet.usc.edu/index.php/parking-rates/

As far as location and if USC Housing doesnt work out for me, I prefer West LA like Santa Monica, BevHills, Marina Del Rey, etc. I also like Pasadena which is 15 min from Downtown.

LOLOLOL!  You will not get to school in time from west LA.  Try 45 mins for Pasadena (or anywhere else.)

Thanks! Couple people already posted and I'm still kinda shocked at how expensive the permits are. I'm really thinking of its relying on the Metro. Does anyone have experience with this? I wouldn't be living in LA proper I don't think.

It really depends on where you live. I have four friends who live near me in Los Feliz without cars. They can take the metro easily to campus (red line to expo line. or there's a bus down Vermont). But getting around other parts of the city can be a pain. Downtown is easy enough from where I am, but getting to some other places can take a ton of time. You can always pick an area that's convenient for the metro for your first year, and decide later if you really need the car.

I think I've said this before in the thread, but you can find some off-campus parking for free. When I do drive in, I tend to park on Frat Row (about three blocks up from campus.) In the rare events I can't find a spot, there's a dollar lot next to Shrine auditorium that's available during the week (good if you're only on campus for a couple hours and only want to spend $1 per hour.) Otherwise I go to the PSX lot which is $8 a day, but I've only had to do that twice in the last year. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

I live in LA currently and will be starting a PhD program at UCLA in the fall.

I'm gonna continue living in Silverlake (east of Hollywood) for a few reasons, but cost savings is one. The bus ride is long (~1 hr each way) but the real trick here is I'll be riding a scooter (150cc, think Vespa). For those of you not aware, scooter/motorcycle parking is free and plentiful on campus. It's about 30-40 min for me (lane splitting if traffic is bad) and I get about 70 MPG, so gas costs are absolutely tiny.

Generally, speaking if you live a little further from UCLA, you're gonna save on rent (I pay 800). But motorcycling/scootering is an amazing way to reduce the time penalty living further away. If you currently ride or are thinking of getting into it, now is absolutely the time.

I did my undergrad at UCLA, quite a few years ago now.  When I was a student, I lived in the Palms area south of campus.  Mentone is in the area.  There are lots of apartment complexes, and rent is much more affordable than in Westwood.  You'd have to check the Big Blue Bus schedule, but the number 12 bus used to run from Palms to campus.  I took the bus daily.

Have fun at UCLA.  It's a beautiful place.  I miss it.

Hey all,

I live in LA currently and will be starting a PhD program at UCLA in the fall.

I'm gonna continue living in Silverlake (east of Hollywood) for a few reasons, but cost savings is one. The bus ride is long (~1 hr each way) but the real trick here is I'll be riding a scooter (150cc, think Vespa). For those of you not aware, scooter/motorcycle parking is free and plentiful on campus. It's about 30-40 min for me (lane splitting if traffic is bad) and I get about 70 MPG, so gas costs are absolutely tiny.

Generally, speaking if you live a little further from UCLA, you're gonna save on rent (I pay 800). But motorcycling/scootering is an amazing way to reduce the time penalty living further away. If you currently ride or are thinking of getting into it, now is absolutely the time.

Is it really free scooter parking on UCLA campus? Good to know... I ride a Stella and I'm around Santa Monica at the moment.

Yes scooter parking is really free. Check the UCLA Transportation website for a list of spots around campus. There are quite a few locations scattered all around the place. The link is here: http://www.transportation.ucla.edu/portal/pdf/parking/UCLAMotorcycle&ScooterParkingMap.pdf

Also @geodude, don't be so negative. Do you ride? It's riskier than driving, but with the right gear and training, you can keep yourself quite safe. Try it! I highly recommend it. Los Angeles is a great place to ride and offers basically year-round weather to do it. Come join us for a ride up the PCH or around town sometime.

Riding a motorcycle or scooter in LA is a sure way to die. 

So is biking, driving a car, and being a pedestrian considering how insane Angelinos get once they hit asphalt. I figure I've improved my chances of living by 80% by staying off the freeway.

Yes scooter parking is really free. Check the UCLA Transportation website for a list of spots around campus. There are quite a few locations scattered all around the place. The link is here: http://www.transportation.ucla.edu/portal/pdf/parking/UCLAMotorcycle&ScooterParkingMap.pdf

Also @geodude, don't be so negative. Do you ride? It's riskier than driving, but with the right gear and training, you can keep yourself quite safe. Try it! I highly recommend it. Los Angeles is a great place to ride and offers basically year-round weather to do it. Come join us for a ride up the PCH or around town sometime.

Awesome! Thanks! 

I live in Old Town Pasadena, and just visited USC yesterday.

I took the Gold Line (light rail train) from Del Mar Station to Union Station, then hopped on a free USC shuttle to the main campus.

Going home I took 3 trains:  Expo Line from Expo/USC to 7th St. Metro.  Red/Purple Line from 7th St. Metro to Union Station.  Gold Line from Union Station to Pasadena.

Door-to-door, Google Maps says a one-way trip to USC from Old Town Pasadena takes just over an hour.

-lizardclan

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks! Couple people already posted and I'm still kinda shocked at how expensive the permits are. I'm really thinking of its relying on the Metro. Does anyone have experience with this? I wouldn't be living in LA proper I don't think.

Live near a metro stop. I live in North Hollywood. Takes 30 minutes on metro to get to either HSC or UPC. The metro pass is $100 for the entire semester and it's unlimited so it is very economical. It also allows you to read on the metro instead of having to devote time to driving.

LOLOLOL!  You will not get to school in time from west LA.  Try 45 mins for Pasadena (or anywhere else.)

A bunch of us live in west LA, but mostly near Culver City. I know some people in SM, too, but not as many.

It might be easier when the Expo Line's Phase II is complete, early next year. :)