What were you doing when you got accepted?

Orims

A coworker asked for my cell number and since I already had hers I picked up my phone to send her a text with my name in it. Before I could do that I saw I had unread email and I opened it up. She was just as excited as I was! We were jumping up and down in my office lol. A cool moment to share, for sure.

I was waiting in a Port Everglades (Florida) cruise terminal...using the wifi, about to board my ship... when suddenly I received an acceptance e-mail  :D Made my trip a million and one times better!

About to walk into a classroom full of hyper second graders. Slowest class ever! I couldn't wait to get out and call everyone I knew!

Wow you are awfully young to be getting into grad school!

I've been waiting to post in this thread and finally got my first acceptance today. I got home from work and checked all of my applications as usual but everything still said "pending." Went to the gym and got a message after my second set of squats. It was good news and I was so thrilled that I put 20 lbs more on the bar than I planned and killed the rest of my workout. It still doesn't feel real but it's such a relief to know that I'm going SOMEWHERE.

I've been waiting to post in this thread and finally got my first acceptance today. I got home from work and checked all of my applications as usual but everything still said "pending." Went to the gym and got a message after my second set of squats. It was good news and I was so thrilled that I put 20 lbs more on the bar than I planned and killed the rest of my workout. It still doesn't feel real but it's such a relief to know that I'm going SOMEWHERE.

Good for you! I probably would have ran out of the gym screaming, effectively ending the workout instead of improving it!

I had just pulled in the driveway tonight after a long, tedious day at work. Saw there was an email, which was generic, and checked the decision online assuming it was a rejection. I don't think I even read the first sentence, but the second one was bolded and italicized: Congratulations, and welcome!

Then I backed up and read the first sentence. And screamed a little. It's not even my first choice and funding is doubtful, but it's still a great feeling. 

I had told a friend of mine that I would go grocery shopping for him, as he was quite sick and didn't have access to a car. I woke up at 10am to go, felt way too tired and fell back asleep after realizing it was Valentine's Day. Figured that would be my happy Valentine's Day present to myself!

I woke up to my roommate talking to her sister, checked my email on my phone groggily, out of habit, and as soon as I saw the "Offer Letter Attached" I sat up completely straight and gasped. My roommate thought it was something horrible, haha.

Then I cried for a couple of minutes and called my mom.

"Mom! I got into my dream program! It's at (very well known school)!"

"That's wonderful! Where is that again?"

So kind of climactic and anticlimactic too :) Happy Valentine's Day to me!

I'm lucky enough that all my programs are in a timezone where their 9pm-5pm is my 12am-8am, so I got to wake up to my admits rather than driving myself crazy checking my email all day.  :)  And I'm still waiting on one last program and potential funding, so waking up is rather "exciting" these days...

As bad as this sounds, I was driving late on my way to work when I got my acceptance email from Boston. I couldn't stop myself from my intrigue of figuring out what financial aid they offered me...

I was brushing my teeth and opened my email on my phone. Saw there was an email from RPI but figured it was just to check in as I had stopped by the admissions office a week prior. I almost deleted the email until I realized it said I was accepted into the biomedical engineering program. I also did not expect to be accepted...so my first thought was that it was a mistake. Oh, my confidence levels are at an all time high....

Edited by aavvw

I was leaving my AM biochem lab at school and I was checking my email on the way to the school gym to workout. My first acceptance this cycle so I am thrilled! And I was so concerned because my gpa is 3.12 and my GRE is just 154/154/4.5

It's a good day! :)

For UW I got impatient after checking TheGradCafe and seeing other acceptances, so I finally caved and emailed a professor I'd been in touch with, who basically responded and said "call me, I have good news." Turns out he was about to email me to set up a call!

I was at work, so I walked about ten minutes away to make the phone call haha

Wowza. Let's see, I was snuggling up in bed, about to get some shut eye when... I decided to check my email one more time! Lo and behold, my phone did not notify me of a thing! Well, let's just say.... I woke everyone in my apartment up, because of all the screaming and crying! This was 3o minutes ago!

I was in the elevator with a bunch of my co-workers and friends, when I just randomly decided to check the web portal. I blurted out my acceptance as soon as I saw it, then we all started screaming and jumping up and down, which caused the elevator to stop. We were stuck there in panic for a bit, then the elevator eventually moved and the door eventually opened and we ran off the elevator.

I just woke up, checked my e-mail right away, as I usually do now, and found out I was accepted to one and invited for an interview at another university! I couldn't even read the whole e-mail because of the excitement :) Felt like a Christmas morning

Yesterday I was really worn out and went to bed early, but then had to get up again because of a nagging need to go check email (I'm sure many of you are familiar with this syndrome -- I call it "chronic futilitus).  Lo and behold, it was an email with Penn State, offering up the most marvelous funding news ever on a metaphorical silver platter.  Finally, I could say yes to my top choice program!  I sprang to Skype to call my mother with the wonderful news (she REALLY wanted me to go there and has apparently been actively praying that I would have no other options because she was so convinced that it was the right place).  And then . . . China happened.  It was one of those evenings where the government has nothing better to do than hack into Skype accounts to eagerly listen in, which makes it impossible for the other side to hear me.  So, best news in the world, and couldn't share it accept via email.  :(

I think I was chewing on some beef jerky and reading my Kindle (of course, the acceptance made me almost drop my Kindle and to this day I still haven't made any progress with that reading since then haha).

I got up yesterday and had the day off, and was just starting to get moving and decided to check the online web portal even though the department had said just a few days ago that they hadn't even started reading applications yet (and they get about 900 of them) and I said to my partner "Okay, I'm really sick of waiting, you have to make them magically accept me!" and then I logged in and my status had changed to "Invited"!

I had just called two departments of two different universities that have yet to notify me of anything. One of them had been incredibly close to hitting the 2 month mark. After getting the standard replies of "Soon" or "Sometime this week," I finally decided to just give it a rest for the week and try not to think about this stuff anymore. 

Seeing as how I had to be at one of my 2 jobs later in the afternoon, I decided to take a quick nap to revitalize myself. As soon as I laid down to take a nap, my phone vibrated letting me know I got an email. I wanted to ignore it at first, but something told me to look anyway. I reached over in an annoyed manner to my nightstand, taking my phone into my hand to see the screen illuminating with a notification from Gmail, the subject line reading, "Good News" from a professor I had been in contact with at the university. 

I never swiped a smartphone screen so fast in my life. I fully opened the email to see that I had been accepted into the program, with official letter attached. I instantly screamed after I caught my breath. I'm sure my neighbors officially hate me. Good news for them: I won't be in this place much longer!

What I was doing when accepted to:

Syracuse University- Checking my spam folder and I saw an email with the subject "Maxwell Admissions Decision"... Imagine my shock. Was not expecting it for another couple weeks and luckily I was checking my spam folder that evening!

Penn State- Was packing for a trip to Italy and I had just finished zipping up my luggage when I got a call from a Pennsylvania area code. Was told I was admitted and started my trip off on the right foot.

George Mason- While in Italy I was told by my brother back home that a large envelope had come in the mail from George Mason University. They don't release decisions online but my status had changed and they asked for official transcripts so I kind of expected this. The envelope confirmed my suspicions and I was admission.

American University- I had just finished a day of exploring Florence and I got back to my hotel. I connected to Wifi and I received an email with the subject "Your decision is now available for viewing" from American University... I almost broke my laptop rushing quickly to open it and when I saw the acceptance I immediately ran to the room my parents were in to tell them the great news.

As you can see, my Italy trip was memorable!

Today I was writing my thesis and getting super irritated my email kept going off now that spring break is over. It was like every five minutes. One came through and I snatched my phone up and yelled at it for bugging me for useless stuff about housing at my current school for next year, but it was an acceptance to my top choice! Woohoo!

I didn't get any thesis writing done after that.

I was picking up flowers for my girlfriend when my acceptance email lit up my phone.  Every other admissions decision has been a rejection.  I'm strongly considering buying her more flowers at this point...I already dropped over $1k on apps, so what's another $50 on flowers if it gets me another acceptance

Not an acceptance, but the first contact I got from a school happened after I got out of class and saw I had 4 voicemails on my phone. The first one was from the school telling me I made their shortlist and inviting me to come for a paid visit. I was so excited that I forgot to listen to the rest of the voicemails on my phone. Then I got home and realized they were from my boyfriend, who was now late to work since I had taken his car to school instead of public transit without realizing he would need it. So he was simultaneously mad at/happy for me, haha.