Waitlists

Await

Guys, it's perfectly all right to ask what your ranking is. I just asked straight-forward: "May I inquire as to what my ranking on the waitlist is? Thank you." I got a response that was very informative and even a little encouraging.

At this point, they already like you or you wouldn't be waitlisted. I think it's harder to screw that up than we convince ourselves in our anxiety; besides, if it's ranked, I don't know how easy it is to move you up or down anyway.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi longshot101 and skately:

As for my inquiry email to my track's grad coordinator that got a nice response:

I tried to keep it brief, but it was a few paragraphs. First I thanked them for being considerate in the waitlist letter and expressed my interest in the program and willingness to wait. Then I asked the he could shed some light on the waitlist process, and asked several specific questions, including questions regarding the cohort this year. I also offered to send several different kinds of supporting materials and welcomed his suggestions. In terms of tone I didn't say, "Can you please tell me my place on the list?" but instead asked if it was ranked and if they could share statistics from past years (no specific info came on that front but I was surprised by the fact he told me that waitlisters could start hearing now when I had officially heard twice it wouldn't be til May 15th, and that in the past they have extended offers to the waitlist before hearing back from admits if they don't think they're going to reach the target number for the class). I believe I also used the word "protocol". That is to say, I was pretty delicate and not demanding. I also shared a little bit of personal info. It took him a couple days to reply to me, so at first I worried that it had been off the mark.

But I think part of the reason his response was so warm (and this is just my interpretation) was that he was expressing that it was good to finally hear from me. I realize now I should have been talking to him, not the admissions person during the application process. I also wish I had emailed the woman I would like to be my advisor. It turns out that he and she are the ones making the decisions on the waitlist. Admissions is no longer involved. (!!!) And I only know this because I emailed him. In fact, the admissions person I emailed (and had met with in person) told me to forward any updates to him and he would submit it to the "Ad Com" (keeping up the barrier to entry!), but the grad coordinator of my program told me to directly email it to him.

I am PRAYING that the coordinator was trying to send me a message of hope with all the extra information he provided, but you never know with this. And it all still depends on a certain number of non-acceptances of course.

Hope that helps you guys in some way.

I should maybe add that I already knew the waitlist was ranked from a conversation I had with the director during the program's interview weekend.

Perhaps I should have expressed my interest as well, but I think that just asking where you're ranked shows interest.

For those on waitlists, it ain't over until it's over. My situation was not looking good with one waitlist and two acceptances with very little funding (which is essential for me with a family in tow). Then out of the blue a couple of weeks ago, after I had received rejections from every other program save the two acceptances, I received a phone call saying that I have been accepted off the waitlist with great funding.

This process sucks, and it takes way too long. But don't foreclose possibilities before they have the chance to blossom--either way.

I also think it's best to stay in communication with all schools that have accepted or waitlisted you. Definitely ask about where you stand on the list; IMO, you have the right to know. I think it's best to let schools know if you have other offers, even waitlisted ones. Don't let the waitlist make you passive, even though it feels like you are completely powerless. Do your homework on the school to see if you really would be interested in going if the offer comes.

Good luck, all!

I received an email stating that I was shortlisted for admission. The wording was somewhat awkward, so I asked if I was placed on a waiting list. The GDR then responded "Yes, things will work themselves out by mid-April". Here is where it gets weird...

I received the informal email about 2 weeks ago, but I never received any official notification (i.e. a letter). Moreover, my online status still shows "application complete". Like many of you, I emailed the GDR kindly requesting my position/rank on the waiting list, but he never responded. Oddly enough, for this specific program, it appears that only rejections have been sent out, not acceptances...

Does this happen frequently? Is it possible that the GDR simply confused "shortlist" with "waiting list"? I'm so thoroughly confused by this whole process and asking questions apparently doesn't get you answers (with the school, at least).

I have to respond to another school by April 6th, so now I'm freaking out.

I don't think they send official letters with waitlists--it's a waste of paper. Better to wait until admitted/rejected and send a letter then.

Actually, like everything else in this process, it depends on the program. I found out about being waitlisted because I was mailed an official letter from the department. The letter also included a mandatory form I had to return to formally accept my position on the waitlist. If there is doubt about your waitlist status you should definitely contact the school and try to get some more concrete assurance.

Talk about a roller coaster...

I need someone to temper my excitement/anxiety/depression. Essentially, I wrote off my top choice simply assuming that I would fall short of the competition. Sitting in my inbox this morning was a lovely email stating that I'm at the top of the waiting list. Although this is a positive sign in itself, I need a little help gauging my probability of acceptance.

With any other school, I would think that my chances of acceptance would be very good. However, this school is different because:

- It is consistently ranked #1 in the country

- It guarantees full funding with a generous stipend

- It admits about 12-15 on average (I'm guessing the number will be lower this year)

So, do you think at least one person will reject their offer? Obviously, no one can answer this question with confidence, but I'm desperately in need of some reassurance... or a reality check.

Best of luck to you all!

I'm in the same situation. I found out I was first on the wait list at my first choice as well. I was happy that I had at least been wait listed, but I'm pretty nervous about getting an acceptance. Fortunately, it's not a first ranked program, but high enough to be competitive. I'm hoping someone goes elsewhere and opens up a spot for me. I think it'd be a perfect fit for me there. Good luck to both of us.

So, do you think at least one person will reject their offer? Obviously, no one can answer this question with confidence, but I'm desperately in need of some reassurance... or a reality check.

Of course it's possible. Maybe one of the people accepted has to consider a spouse's wishes... or has second thoughts about the climate/geography... or has an anxiety attack and doesn't think they can hack it... or had a better "fit" with a prof at the #2 school in the country... or got even more money at another school... or got a more enthusiastic reception at another school's visiting weekend... you could come up with endless scenarios.

However, it's also possible that no one will turn it down. You make it sound like anyone who turned this place down would have to be stupid... so, time to hope for stupidity! :D

Oh, and DON'T FORGET to write back to Top Choice and tell them that they're your top choice!!

Good luck!

Thankfully, I already replied indicating that it was my top choice. That said, I don't think it would have mattered since the list was already ranked. Right now, I'm just grateful for this website... it's so therapeutic to completely freak out with others that are in a similar situation :D

I'm over analyzing again...

Present Status (ranked):

School #1 - Waiting List (top position)

School #2 - Waiting List (position unknown)

School #3 - Accepted (minimal funding)

Yesterday, I received notification that I was placed at the top of the waiting list for School #1 (first choice). I promptly requested an extension on the response deadline from School #3; the deadline was extended until April 13, 2009. I then contacted School #1, asking if it was reasonable to expect a decision by that date (April 13). The GDR responded with "I expect so".

Now, I'm trying to decide if the implied message is:

(1) Yes, it is likely that someone will decline their offer by that date, OR

(2) Yes, we require all successful applicants to respond by that date

Given the GDR's wording, I'm leaning toward interpretation #1. But to be fair, it does sound like somewhat of a stretch. Any thoughts? Fuck, someone put me out of my misery!

-----

FYI, I'm completely stressing out because only School #1 guarantees full funding for all accepted applicants. In all likelihood, if I don't get accepted into School #1, then I probably can't afford graduate school. :cry:

I then contacted School #1, asking if it was reasonable to expect a decision by that date (April 13). The GDR responded with "I expect so".

Now, I'm trying to decide if the implied message is:

(1) Yes, it is likely that someone will decline their offer by that date, OR

(2) Yes, we require all successful applicants to respond by that date

Given the GDR's wording, I'm leaning toward interpretation #1. But to be fair, it does sound like somewhat of a stretch. Any thoughts? Fuck, someone put me out of my misery!

I think you're reaching a bit far. Most schools have an April 15 deadline, so things usually work themselves out by that time. The DGS just appears to be saying that they should be able to let you know one way or another by that date, but no guarantees.

Good luck!

Hey guys, I got admitted off of the waitlist! There is hope!

Best of luck to the rest of you, and thanks for your support during that nerve-wracking wait!

Hurrah! Very happy for you! May this thread be filled with acceptances soon. . . I read in another thread that RecycledViking also got in, so here's to hoping for the rest of us. . .

this is all good news!

Now I have a couple of questions-- I emailed the assistant director to the program on Thursday late evening. It was a casual email that gave some personal info and spoke to the fact that I would absolutely accept a positon for fall admission. On Friday morning I spoke with the dean of admissions and he let me know that they are no longer involved in the program at all stating, "Now, it's in the hands of your program, contact them". So I sent another email that was more wait-list questionnaire in theme. Now, I guess, I just wait?

So I have yet to hear back. Do I send an email to the Director? or give it a couple days? I want them to know that I am interested, but I don't want to border on harassment :lol: . Do I call? or is that ridiculous? Thanks for any help.

Any ideas?

Generally speaking, you want to email the graduate coordinator of your program. Depending on what information you requested in the email, the graduate coordinator may not feel that a response is necessary. For instance, if the waiting list is ranked, then expressing your interest in the program won't affect your present status.

Generally speaking, I think most departments will respond to a short and polite email. That said, they're probably in crunch-time so I wouldn't expect a response within the hour. In my case, one department responded while the other did not. In the end, all we can do is wait (unfortunately). Good luck!

Thanks! Maybe I am completely stupid, but I have no idea who or if my program has a graduate coordinator. It is a small program that is operated within a larger system of a school (Being really vague here, I know). Hmm, I copied the secretary as well, but I will check out the website and see if I can get any info on whom I should be speaking to.

I'm at the top of the waiting list. Although this is a positive sign in itself, I need a little help gauging my probability of acceptance.

With any other school, I would think that my chances of acceptance would be very good. However, this school is different because:

- It is consistently ranked #1 in the country

- It guarantees full funding with a generous stipend

- It admits about 12-15 on average (I'm guessing the number will be lower this year)

The above is a quick recap of what's going on. Essentially, I'm deathly afraid of being rejected... primarily because I can't afford to attend the other schools I applied to (wishful thinking + a poor economy).

To my knowledge, all successful applicants were notified last week and are required to respond by April 15th. Generally speaking, do most applicants wait until the last minute to reject an offer? I would think that most applicants would have a clear idea of where they're going by now...

My anxiety is heightened because:

- There were over 300 applications

- It guarantees an unmatched funding package (in a tough economy...)

- A current student is unaware of anyone that was accepted from the waiting list in the past 2 years

- The graduate coordinator has been kind, but extremely vague

So, if you were in my position, would you feel confident? What would you do to help yourself sleep at night?

I'm on the waitlist of my top choice school as well. I was told by the graduate coordinator that the university requires them to wait until April 15 to act on the wait list. Does this mean that I'll have to wait until the last day to decide whether to accept other offers or not? Is this common? I always thought I would hear their final decision by April 15 at the lastest.

jferreir, I understand how you feel right now, in or out, makes a huge differece. I saw that you have at least one other secured offer, and things will work themselves out eventually :) Good luck!