Rochester, NY

Guest neva

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I'm also attending U of R this fall. I'm driving up there this weekend to look for an apartment, and I really need some last minute advice. I'm looking for a nice one bedroom apartment/loft for myself, and I have a large dog (which puts on a limit to many nice apartments). I hope to live somewhere safe (since I'm a girl and I walk my dog everyday..), and somewhere close to coffee shops:) Any suggestions? 

• 7 months later...

Hi everyone, I just got admitted to the U of R. I had a few questions about the city if anyone can help me out!

1. If one chooses to live in one of the graduate housing options at the U of R, is it affordable on the graduate stipend? Are they close to the uni and on public transport lines? I do not drive, and will probably not learn at least during the first year.
  2. Is it possible to bike around the city? I know it gets really cold, but any personal experiences would really help!
  3. What is the crime situation in the city? I read not so nice things on other sites and on this thread, some personal experiences can help form a more informed opinion!
  4. How is the wind chill in Rochester? Stupid question maybe, but I just want to know how cold it can feel (not just how cold it can get).

That's all I can think at this point, but any responses would really be appreciated. I am an international student, and I'm trying to make an objective assessment of the city as well as the school. Five years is a long time after all :)

Student housing tends to be pretty expensive (though I don't know about U of R's options specifically) and Rochester is pretty cheap.  You can probably find a cheaper/nicer/quieter place in the South Wedge, which is still pretty close to U of R's campus, and much closer to good (read: not undergrad) bars, coffee shops, restaurants, etc.

Also, there is a very high crime rate in certain areas and very low in others.  Places like the South Wedge (at least most of it), East End, etc. are pretty safe.  My brother used to live in an apartment on University, near Culver (across the street from Gleason Works, if you can find it on a map), and it was VERY safe, and was within walking distance of Park Ave and Goodman.  Cornhill is also really safe, though a little more expensive than the South Wedge.

Went there for undergrad. Basically, say goodbye to the sun for 8-9 mos of the year. People get Vitamin D depression up there. In terms of winter, think Buffalo--lake effect snow, brutally cold, high, bone-chilling winds blowing over flat land, etc. Rochester's economy was undergirded by Kodak. Kodak is in the pooper. Rochester is a financially depressed area.

That being said, it's beautiful in the spring. It's a community event when the good weather returns. It's really humid in the summer. There are definitely some artsy nooks in the city.

Yah, and it depends on the school.

The most important thing...garbage plates. Google it.

I'm hoping if I decide on Rochester the weather won't be a true shock for me. I have been living quite near Erie, so lake effect is not something new to me, although Rochester does get more snow than us. I hope my training has paid off. B)

The best advice I ever received about Rochester was to NOT live in Rochester, itself, if you can help it. Live in the surrounding communities, which are safer, cleaner, and less depressing. 

I went to U of R for undergrad, and I actually prefer neighborhoods IN the city. To whomever asked about the White Coat neighborhood -- it's a stone's throw from the med school and maybe a 15-minute walk from campus. Quite nice and quite safe. The Corn Hill neighborhood is right across the river (but a bit closer to downtown) and is very, very nice. It's mostly young professionals and grad students, and there are lots of restaurants, bars, festivals, live music venues, etc. Everyone always points to the 19th Ward as being a terrible place to live, but I don't agree with that. It's a fairly low-income neighborhood, but there are a ton of students and professors who also live there, and as long as you aren't, say, walking around alone at 4:00 am attracting attention, you shouldn't have a problem. The Southwedge neighborhood is close enough to campus where you can get there in fifteen minutes by bike, but far enough away that it feels like its own neighborhood and isn't just students. It's a pretty hip area: lots of coffee shops, local restaurants and bars, art and music festivals, etc. Park Ave is another very nice neighborhood -- probably the most affluent within the city -- and is gorgeous and great for walking.

If I were going to U of R for grad school, I'd try to live in either Corn Hill or Southwedge. They're close to campus but also an easy walk from the center of downtown, and rent is affordable. I lived in Corn Hill for a summer and only paid $350 a month for a gorgeous two-story apartment (I shared with two others) right next to a lovely little park where they had live music every Sunday.

If anyone has any questions about the Rochester area, feel free to message me! I grew up not too far away, so I'm pretty familiar with the city and surrounding suburbs.  

Hi all,

I recently got admitted to U of R for a PhD in genetics (I'll be attending the school of medicine and dentistry if I decide to go there).  I have a car and am in a fully funded program.  That being said, does anyone have any advice on how to go about finding an apartment?  I could easily go up to Rochester for a weekend to look at some places but I don't really know how to go about finding anywhere.  Also, any word on neighborhoods within a 15 minute or so drive?  I don't mind commuting back and forth.  I've never lived in an urban area, always a suburban guy (originally from pittsburgh PA).

MackF: You'd be hard-pressed to find a part of the city that is more than a 15-minute drive from U of R, I think, unless you were in a suburb on the complete opposite side, or up in Charlotte or something.

If you are more interested in the suburban areas, check out Henrietta (about 10 minutes south) or Gates (about 10 minutes northwest).  But honestly, the urban neighborhoods have a lot more going on, and are probably a little cheaper.  Brighton is also a nice area, and is closer to both U of R and the city, but is also a pretty family-oriented area, so you might have good luck there.  I know my brother looked at a place just over the border into Brighton and it was about $800 for a two-bedroom, so not terribly expensive.

I went to UofR as an undergrad and spent a couple of summers living there doing research. If you can, you should definitely live in the white coat ghetto (directly across from the hospital). There are some food places nearby which you can walk to and an asian market which made eating cheap without a car fairly simple. If you have a car though it makes things much easier since you can drive to Henrietta for shopping. I had friends living in the 19th ward and the crime rate there was far too high for comfort. That being said there are buses that will shuttle you anywhere without too much issue. If you're interested in night life there's always the south wedge which is close to bars and a lot of the cultural activity in the city. 

Thanks for the advice.  I wouldn't be looking for housing until at least this summer anyway, so I've got some time to decide.  It seems like a lot of people push the Southwedge/Corn Hill neighborhoods, and the neighborhood right across from the URMC, so maybe I'll start my search there.

I went to U of R for undergrad, and I actually prefer neighborhoods IN the city. To whomever asked about the White Coat neighborhood -- it's a stone's throw from the med school and maybe a 15-minute walk from campus. Quite nice and quite safe. The Corn Hill neighborhood is right across the river (but a bit closer to downtown) and is very, very nice. It's mostly young professionals and grad students, and there are lots of restaurants, bars, festivals, live music venues, etc. Everyone always points to the 19th Ward as being a terrible place to live, but I don't agree with that. It's a fairly low-income neighborhood, but there are a ton of students and professors who also live there, and as long as you aren't, say, walking around alone at 4:00 am attracting attention, you shouldn't have a problem. The Southwedge neighborhood is close enough to campus where you can get there in fifteen minutes by bike, but far enough away that it feels like its own neighborhood and isn't just students. It's a pretty hip area: lots of coffee shops, local restaurants and bars, art and music festivals, etc. Park Ave is another very nice neighborhood -- probably the most affluent within the city -- and is gorgeous and great for walking.

If I were going to U of R for grad school, I'd try to live in either Corn Hill or Southwedge. They're close to campus but also an easy walk from the center of downtown, and rent is affordable. I lived in Corn Hill for a summer and only paid $350 a month for a gorgeous two-story apartment (I shared with two others) right next to a lovely little park where they had live music every Sunday.

If anyone has any questions about the Rochester area, feel free to message me! I grew up not too far away, so I'm pretty familiar with the city and surrounding suburbs.  

Thanks! I found this very helpful. 

• 2 years later...

Can anyone tell me about roads and traffic? Is it pretty easy to get from the surrounding neighborhoods to the UoR campus or shopping areas without going through congested areas, bad intersections, etc.? How bad is the midday traffic in the city?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...