HGSE Fall 2014

Edupunk

Has anybody else been having trouble with the FinAid portal? I've been trying to log in since they sent the email out and keep getting this message: "Access to Net partner is currently not available. Please contact your financial aid office for more information."

Obviously I will do as it says and contact them fmi on Monday, but is anyone else getting this too?

Also, I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing Harvard's TEP - it's just that I simply know nothing about it! I feel like no one here at Grad Cafe ever applies for TEP@HGSE (http://www.gse.harvard.edu/academics/masters/tep/)

You are right. Harvard has 13 concentrations at the Master's level. Out of these (arguably) only three prepare students to unequivocally work directly with students at the school level. These are Prevention Science and Practice (PSP), School Leadership Program (SLP) and the Teacher Education Program (TEP). This is not to say that other concentrations cannot go into working directly with students; it just seems that the programs are not designed for them to do so.

While I fully appreciate the importance of educators' preparation for research and policymaking that HGSE designs most of its programs for, I really wish there were more Harvard people actually interacting with students instead of going to work in leadership positions in UN, district leadership positions or other policy areas. If anything, it would make more students see these people as normal everyday people that went to a great school which they, too, can one day attend.

Has anybody else been having trouble with the FinAid portal? I've been trying to log in since they sent the email out and keep getting this message: "Access to Net partner is currently not available. Please contact your financial aid office for more information."

I was able to access mine but my friend is having the same issues as you are. Hopefully it will become available soon. Best of luck with the aid package :)

Obviously I will do as it says and contact them fmi on Monday, but is anyone else getting this too?

I had that problem! Did it say "contact fin aid code IA" ? something like that?

So my issue was I used the wrong ID and then correct ID with wrong password to login and my account got locked up.

Make sure you use the ID you received from the fin office! not your HUID from the admission letter.

I called the next morning and she told me it should work now, (not sure if she reset something or it resets by itself the next day).

Good luck!

You are right. Harvard has 13 concentrations at the Master's level. Out of these (arguably) only three prepare students to unequivocally work directly with students at the school level. These are Prevention Science and Practice (PSP), School Leadership Program (SLP) and the Teacher Education Program (TEP). This is not to say that other concentrations cannot go into working directly with students; it just seems that the programs are not designed for them to do so.

While I fully appreciate the importance of educators' preparation for research and policymaking that HGSE designs most of its programs for, I really wish there were more Harvard people actually interacting with students instead of going to work in leadership positions in UN, district leadership positions or other policy areas. If anything, it would make more students see these people as normal everyday people that went to a great school which they, too, can one day attend.

I was able to access mine but my friend is having the same issues as you are. Hopefully it will become available soon. Best of luck with the aid package :)

I daresay that quite a few HGSE students actually go on to acquire school leadership positions or pursue other opportunities that afford them direct contact with students. Many students here have been former teachers or in programs such as TFA/Americorps, although they do not belong in the School Leadership cohort. So, there are folks definitely interested in returning to their students, on the school or the district level, as educators at many different types of schools (e.g., charter, private, public, urban, you name it). It may not seem that way, depending on the "clique" one joins here at the school, but you only do find what you seek  ^_^ 

I daresay that quite a few HGSE students actually go on to acquire school leadership positions or pursue other opportunities that afford them direct contact with students. Many students here have been former teachers or in programs such as TFA/Americorps, although they do not belong in the School Leadership cohort. So, there are folks definitely interested in returning to their students, on the school or the district level, as educators at many different types of schools (e.g., charter, private, public, urban, you name it). It may not seem that way, depending on the "clique" one joins here at the school, but you only do find what you seek  ^_^ 

This is good to hear. I don't mean to, at all, undermine the work people do for education outside of the campus either; just that I think that when kids interact with people from Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, xyz these big intimidating names seem pretty accessible and within reach to them :)

This is good to hear. I don't mean to, at all, undermine the work people do for education outside of the campus either; just that I think that when kids interact with people from Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, xyz these big intimidating names seem pretty accessible and within reach to them :)

Yeah, I certainly agree with that, too. It's amazing how inspired young people can become from even the simplest conversations with folks from "big-name" schools. That stroke of inspiration can turn into motivation, and then who knows where it'll go from there! If anything, individuals doing systemic-level reform should engage with youth and young people more often, too, whether it be as a part of their daily work or as a service-learning opportunity. Maybe you can be a part of starting that dialogue/cause at HGSE next year. ;)

On a bigger note, I hope everyone is excited for Open House this week/weekend! We're all quite excited to meet you all.  :D

@psych111 / SoCalGuy:

I attended the Higher Ed open house on Thursday and bits and pieces of the general open house on Friday. The Higher Ed open house was wonderful! The event officially ended at 8-ish, but I stayed until 11 talking to all of the current students. Very warm and friendly reception. 

During Friday's open house, the programs scheduled for that day all had separate rooms/auditoriums. I didn't go to those so I don't know specifically what was discussed. The financial aid and housing lectures were informative. I spoke with one of the financial aid advisers who was quite willing to listen to my situation (in short, they don't change the financial aid package outside of extraordinary circumstances) but he was neither dismissive nor uncaring, which was a big change from the financial aid office at my large, public undergrad. I also spoke with Eileen Berger, the Access Services/Disability coordinator. It's clear that she is willing to work extremely hard to create solutions for students with various disabilities, so I would definitely recommend speaking with her if you have a disability or require extra help.

@psych111 / SoCalGuy:

I attended the Higher Ed open house on Thursday and bits and pieces of the general open house on Friday. The Higher Ed open house was wonderful! The event officially ended at 8-ish, but I stayed until 11 talking to all of the current students. Very warm and friendly reception. 

During Friday's open house, the programs scheduled for that day all had separate rooms/auditoriums. I didn't go to those so I don't know specifically what was discussed. The financial aid and housing lectures were informative. I spoke with one of the financial aid advisers who was quite willing to listen to my situation (in short, they don't change the financial aid package outside of extraordinary circumstances) but he was neither dismissive nor uncaring, which was a big change from the financial aid office at my large, public undergrad. I also spoke with Eileen Berger, the Access Services/Disability coordinator. It's clear that she is willing to work extremely hard to create solutions for students with various disabilities, so I would definitely recommend speaking with her if you have a disability or require extra help.

Thanks, tabeo. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the day. Will you be attending HGSE for sure?

I also went to the Friday session (and attended the Askwith Forum the night before). In short, it was great. Everyone I spoke with really enjoy/enjoyed their time at HGSE. Biggest downside or obstacle was trying to do everything that's available on campus, from internships/field to forums to research. One person I met took 6 courses a semester while being involved with a few things. The faculty also seem both vested in students and just plain amazing (I'm looking at you Dr Higgins and Dr Shonkoff!). Also Val, the career services director was exceptional - had no idea HGSE had such a strong career services group (they start working with you before you enroll!).

Thanks, tabeo. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the day. Will you be attending HGSE for sure?

After the event, I decided that I will--just submitted my enrollment deposit this morning! For context regarding the effectiveness of the day, before attending I was about 80% sure I would decline the invitation due to lackluster financial aid. I even questioned why I was taking vacation time to attend the open house, only justifying it using the reasoning that you can't just decline an invitation like that without seeing the program and meeting faculty face-to-face. In short, they sold the program very, very well. 

Also Val, the career services director was exceptional - had no idea HGSE had such a strong career services group (they start working with you before you enroll!).

I didn't even know that myself! I'll have to check it out. Thanks for sharing the information with everyone!

Edit: Aaaand now I feel like an idiot. Meant to vote up SoCalGuy and accidently put it on my own post instead. Does anyone know how to reverse that?

Edited by tabeo

Is anyone out there still making up their mind on HGSE? I attended the open house for L&T this week and fell in love with the program, the environment, etc., but I'm still not sure, given that I don't know if I want to go back into the classroom or not.

Hello!

I have long been a reader, now finally a poster.  I will be attending the HGSE Language and Literacy Masters program next year and moving from Chicago. 

My wife, Megan, and I have been working the Cambridge/Somerville market for a while in search of a rental.  We have secured a beautiful single family home with 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, 2 parking spots, 1250 square feet, back deck, free laundry, basement/storage, backyard shed for bike storage, fenced in back yard with garden, 18 minute walk to HGSE, close to the intersection of Hanson Ave/Hanson St in Somerville. (August 1st move-in)

In order to afford the house, we are looking for another couple (or possibly open to individuals) to share the space.  The couple would pay $1,900 all inclusive (gas, electic, water, internet) for their own bedroom (with skylights!) and own full bath.  We would share the rest of the space, which includes an office, living room, dining room, kitchen, etc.

We have 2 dogs, Lila, a 45-pound hound mix and Rue, a 40-pound Catahoula and Flat-Coat Retriever mix.

A little bit about us:

I have been in urban education for the last 5 years as a music teacher who incorporates an immense amount of reading and writing skills into my curriculum.  After HGSE, I am looking to become a school designer with Expeditionary Learning, an education model developed at HGSE in the 1990s of which I am deeply passionate.

Megan is currently finishing her thesis at The School of the Art Institute of Chicago for her masters in historic preservation.  She also works at a historic preservation firm downtown and will be transferring to their Boston office.

We are in our late 20s, from the Midwest (Minnesota and Wisconsin), and love cooking, gardening, and camping.

If you are an interested couple of students/professionals who are dog-friendly, please contact me at 414.460.4793 or johngregorylydon@gmail.com.

Best,

John Lydon