HGSE Fall 2014

Edupunk

n.b. None of this may hold true this year. Handing the program off to GSAs may have opened up funds to fill more spots. Conversely, everyone and their dog has been waiting years for the PhD to roll out, so there's probably tons more applicants that usual. Depending in the effect size of those two factors, we could either see a less selective or more selective admissions process this year.

Not sure on interview front. Just saying'...lots of acceptances last year posted here, and barely an interview posted. Haha, my version of "quantitative research".  Thanks for all the super tips…good luck to all.

Thanks so much...I'm finding this forum difficult to search. Is there another forum that is specifically for HGSE Ed. LD 2014 applicants? If so, can you point me toward it please? 

I've applied to the Ed. LD program for 2014, and I'm curious about timelines for hearing back. Would you be willing to explain when you found out you got the interview and how you were notified? Is it too soon for me to be looking for an email or phone call?  Thanks so much for any information you can give me. Have a great day.

Sorry for the delay...been out of town.

I heard back about interviews later than I expected. I believe I got an email, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't until after J-term was over (J-term ends at the end of this week). Good luck!

I am waiting to see if I get an EDLD interview. It is kind of torture because I will be waiting and hoping right up until the last week of February knowing the odds aren't in my favor of hearing anything at all. But there is nothing to do but wait...

Sorry for the delay...been out of town.

I heard back about interviews later than I expected. I believe I got an email, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't until after J-term was over (J-term ends at the end of this week). Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. I'm checking my email hourly...I really need to stop. :-) What were the interviews like?

It's hard to tell, it could be a mass email but since these all had to be scheduled with profs and it's a pretty short turn around time the emails might also be staggered. Also might be that each subfield sent out all their emails at the same time, but the different programs are sent out at different times. 

I just got an email requesting an interview for the Phd program. I think I'm going to go spend three days freaking out now.

I received an interview too! I'm so excited and nervous. The turn around time for response was very small. 

Care to share any information about yourselves?

Were either of you in the HDLT concentration? If so, I'd love to know your POI.

I have not heard anything from Harvard for HDLT. My second choice has already accepted me (UT Austin.)

Who were your POIs? Also, just very roughly, what were your academic backgrounds, metrics, etc?

Oh also, as a further point of information, my POIs were Dr. Bridwell-Mitchell (who also wrote one of my recommendations), Dr. Higgin's (who I've had ongoing conversations with about my PhD interests and took a course from last semester), and Dr. LaMonte (in Sociology at GSAS).

My interview will be with Dr. Higgin's and Dr. Levinson (who I've never heard of). Honestly, I feel like Dr. Bridwell-Mitchell is the clear choice for my potential primary advisor so I'm not sure if this means they think Dr. Higgin's should be instead and I consequently need to change my tune a little to stress Social Networks less and meso level analysis more? Or maybe it was just luck of the draw in terms of who was available to interview? 

Just got the invitation email! It came literally five minutes after I'd curled up in a ball and resigned myself to having to go to back to work for sure next year. Thank you for that roller coaster, universe! 

Oh also, as a further point of information, my POIs were Dr. Bridwell-Mitchell (who also wrote one of my recommendations), Dr. Higgin's (who I've had ongoing conversations with about my PhD interests and took a course from last semester), and Dr. LaMonte (in Sociology at GSAS).

My interview will be with Dr. Higgin's and Dr. Levinson (who I've never heard of). Honestly, I feel like Dr. Bridwell-Mitchell is the clear choice for my potential primary advisor so I'm not sure if this means they think Dr. Higgin's should be instead and I consequently need to change my tune a little to stress Social Networks less and meso level analysis more? Or maybe it was just luck of the draw in terms of who was available to interview? 

I'm not sure why you were worried. Based on your posts, it's obvious you're getting in. 

Edited by SheWrote

Just got the invitation email! It came literally five minutes after I'd curled up in a ball and resigned myself to having to go to back to work for sure next year. Thank you for that roller coaster, universe! 

Did you get the email today (Saturday, Jan 25)?

Did you get the email today (Saturday, Jan 25)?

Yes, around 4pm today (Saturday). Although Google was down for a couple hours yesterday afternoon and Harvard email runs through gmail so it was either a fluke that washed up late or they truly are doing it in waves. Or maybe someone that got an request yesterday already declined and I was on the "invitation wait list" so to speak. Not sure, but either way, I wouldn't give up hope yet! 

Yes, around 4pm today (Saturday). Although Google was down for a couple hours yesterday afternoon and Harvard email runs through gmail so it was either a fluke that washed up late or they truly are doing it in waves. Or maybe someone that got an request yesterday already declined and I was on the "invitation wait list" so to speak. Not sure, but either way, I wouldn't give up hope yet! 

Yeah, thanks.  Are you the one who posted your interview on the Results Search page today?  Also, I hear there's a fast turnaround time with respect to responding to their request -- how fast was it?

To the current EdLD student, I have a question. It seems from the profiles that everyone in the cohorts has been a school principle at minimum and more likely managers and department heads in larger organizations. Is there anyone there who is "just" a teacher? Thanks for the insight! This has been my biggest concern in even trying to apply.

SheWrote - you are far too kind :) Cheers to all of us! 

Benefactor - uh, probably. I think I posted Saturday afternoon. I guess it was a fast turnaround, they wanted me to respond by like 3pm Monday or something and the interview is Thursday. I guess I didn't think about it as a short turn around because I didn't have much else to say besides an immediate YES PLEASE! 

Red Eye - I'll let Rob (hi Rob! It's Cortney! How was Japan?!?!) share his undoubtably eloquent insight, but from knowing a bunch of both EDLD and SLP kids, the trend (not the rule) seems to be that the EDLD attracts those with prior leadership experience (principal, administrator/dean, grade coach, etc.) and are looking to move to a "higher" level, whether that be moving from the school to district level, moving from suburban to urban, etc. Whereas SLP seems to be those who have prior teaching experience and are looking to move into a leadership role (aka be a principal) either at the school they originally came from or otherwise. Both are great groups of people, just aiming at slightly different points :)

Edited by Sunshinegrl456