HGSE Fall 2014

Edupunk

Just got an email back from HGSE regarding the interviews:

Thank you for your message. We can confirm that we have begun sending interview invitations for the Ph.D. in Education and expect that all invitations will be out by mid-February.  While an interview is required for admission to the program, decisions will not be finalized until all committee deliberations have been completed.  We anticipate that GSAS will send out final decisions by late February/early March.

Best,

HGSE Admissions

Thank you for your message. We can confirm that we have begun sending interview invitations for the Ph.D. in Education and expect that all invitations will be out by mid-February.  While an interview is required for admission to the program, decisions will not be finalized until all committee deliberations have been completed.  We anticipate that GSAS will send out final decisions by late February/early March.

Best,

HGSE Admissions

Hmm...that's encouraging, I guess.  I wonder if any of the people that have received interview invitations applied to HDLT. 

Best,

HGSE Admissions

Ahhhhhh. So basically it's unlikely that I got in, but my hope will continue to linger on for another month or so.

Sure, this was the exact text:

Thank you for your email. Ed.L.D. applicants who are chosen for an interview will be notified by our office via email in early February.

Should you have any further questions, please let us know.

That fits with what people posted last year too.

I just wish they all went out a particular week, though logistically that might be difficult. I know the uncertainty will keep me hoping against hope for nearly the whole month of February.

FYI I pounced on pretty much every EdD student I know around campus today and exactly zero of them had to interview so this must be a new thing for the PhD (the EDLDs have definitely had to interview in years past). They probably haven't gotten the science of the timing of it down just yet since so much is new this year. February will come soon enough for all of us, for better or for worse :) 

FYI I pounced on pretty much every EdD student I know around campus today and exactly zero of them had to interview so this must be a new thing for the PhD (the EDLDs have definitely had to interview in years past). They probably haven't gotten the science of the timing of it down just yet since so much is new this year. February will come soon enough for all of us, for better or for worse :)

Thanks for the update! Do you happen to have any idea as to whether or not the different Education Ph.D. concentrations (CIS, HDLT, EPPE) will all be interviewed on the same weekend? Or are the interviews POI-based?

Edited by CAda

Hi CAda, unfortunately I have no clue. Mine is a phone interview this Thursday morning (I'm CIS) so the most I can say is that it definitely isn't an "ok let's fly out all the HDLTs this Saturday and have them make the rounds" type of thing that I know it to be at some other schools. 

Does anyone know if they'll be sending out EdM decisions earlier than March? Earlier in this thread seems like last year people started hearing decisions mid-February.

Does anyone know if they'll be sending out EdM decisions earlier than March? Earlier in this thread seems like last year people started hearing decisions mid-February.

Nope, all EdM decisions went out en masse the afternoon of March 8th last year. 

This was about a week later than they went out in 2012 (if you read last year's beast of a thread closely, you'll notice a Tuesday we literally all convinced ourselves it was going to be THE day.....and it wasn't.) but I don't think I've heard of them going earlier than March anytime over the last few years.

I believe EdLDs and EdDs were notified in late February last year, which was not unusual. 

SoCalGuy (and all other interested parties), here's the link to the thread I was referring to just now: 

Highlights: about 200 posts about us thinking March 1 was The Day when it actually wasn't. The time we tried to decide if we could hack the system with the application link from a 2011 student. About two pages of banter about what exactly comprises a "graduate student" wardrobe, multiple panic attacks about financial aid confirmation emails, and an entire page of .gifs thanks to CQE. 

In short, we went a little cray cray. 

I will just briefly jump in and note that I am an HDLT applicant, interested in researching the educational neuroscience of the developing bilingual brain. Like others who have applied to the HDLT program, I have yet to hear anything. Fingers crossed.

Hi CAda, unfortunately I have no clue. Mine is a phone interview this Thursday morning (I'm CIS) so the most I can say is that it definitely isn't an "ok let's fly out all the HDLTs this Saturday and have them make the rounds" type of thing that I know it to be at some other schools. 

I accidentally downvoted you when I meant to upvote this comment- sorry (where's the undo button?!) Thanks for your help! 

Hahaha, no worries CAda!

Interview went so-so y'all. I think the research part was really strong (they asked things like where I saw myself on the micro/meso/macro spectrum, am I quant/qual/mixed) but then one of the interviewers sort of misinterpreted a question I asked as meaning something about a negative perception of the program that I don't have at all and I wasn't really able to recover or explain myself so. 

So. WHO KNOWS. At least I made it this far, which is encouraging with regards to reapplying should that be necessary down the road. 

Edited by Sunshinegrl456

Hahaha, no worries CAda!

Interview went so-so y'all. I think the research part was really strong (they asked things like where I saw myself on the micro/meso/macro spectrum, am I quant/qual/mixed) but then one of the interviewers sort of misinterpreted a question I asked as meaning something about a negative perception of the program that I don't have at all and I wasn't really able to recover or explain myself so. 

So. WHO KNOWS. At least I made it this far, which is encouraging with regards to reapplying should that be necessary down the road. 

Don't worry, Sunshinegrl! I'm sure you came across great! I think interviews are mostly to verify a) you are the person you claim to be on your application, and b ) you're not insane. 

Edited by j7887

Has anyone heard/gotten any info on how many interviews they're doing? I know EdLD interviews 50 for 25 spots but that's a "fly you out for the weekend" type thing so I would imagine they're doing more phone interviews? Does a 25% shot sound too low?