Jump to content

Transferring State Certification

Recommended Posts

So I know a lot of people are not staying in their home states for grad school, so I figure this has to be a question many people have thought about. Is it generally very difficult to transfer your certification to a different state? I know supposedly some states are more challenging to transfer to than others (ex: I've heard if you don't get your TSSLD at a New York school, it's extremely difficult to get certified to work in NY).


Is it always this challenging though? I'm from NJ, and my family is here. I'm considering going to UConn, but is that me essentially committing to living in CT for the years to come since that's where I would be getting certified? Or would it not be that difficult to get my certification to transfer to NJ if I decide I want to move back to my home-state after grad school?


I've read through the ASHA requirements by state, but it's just not particularly clear how challenging the transfer of certification would be. If anyone knows anything about this topic all info is greatly appreciated!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Transferring your license is known as "reciprocity" (same as what teachers do when they move states). In the ASHA page you read, there is a list of states 29 plus DC and if memory serves me correctly, these are states with the reciprocity agreement. To change from one state to another, you just apply for a license in that state (usually around $50) and submit your copy of your previous state's license, sometimes also the praxis test scores. If the state you are going to eventually work in does NOT have reciprocity with the state where you complete your masters degree and initial licensure, you need to verify that your masters program individually meets the licensure requirements for that state. There are only a few states in that category on the ASHA page. Always verify licensure requirements with each states dept. of instruction or education, or possibly even the legals statutes, which you can search online for most states.

There may be circumstances when you don't have to pay to apply for a new license in the state where you move, it depends on whether the state will recognize your previous license as it stands, or if they want to issue you a new one, which some employers may prefer. Sounds like NY might be like that, based on your description in the OP.

What I am doing, since we are very likely going to be moving to South Carolina some time after I graduate, either immediately or after completing my C's, I am going to apply for both NC and SC licensure and make sure I met both states requirements as I do the hours of clinic that are required (that's usually the only difference).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for all of that information, it was definitely very helpful. I tried finding the page on ASHA that specified which states have reciprocity, but I am having some difficulty. Is this what you are referring to?



I'm just having some difficulty determining that if I earn my CCC in CT, that I would then easily be able to move to NJ if I wish. I can't tell if they are reciprocal or not.


Again, thank you your help!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is the NY page on licensure by endorsement. It describes how to transfer your license. It appears that CT and NY are not on the official reciprocity list, but I could be wrong. Providing that you will do your CFY and become fully licensed in CT, you just look for the licensure by endorsement info for whatever state you would like to work. At first glance, it looks like you need 2 years experience before by will let you transfer your license.


If you want to do your CFY in NY, which is also an option, you need to follow NY requirements for initial licensure on the top of the page. Definitely tell your academic advisor so you can make sure you get the required number of hours in each area listed. You CAN just simply apply to have your initial license in NY if you want, but usually YOU are responsible for ensuring you qualify.

If you want to do your CFY and earn your CCC's in CT, your school (UCONN) should be your primary point for ensuring you fulfill CT requirements for licensure; it is likely your program is already set up to fulfill those requirements. Here is the CT page on initial licensure.


From what I have read, the "supervised professional experience" they are talking about IS the CFY year, the nine or so months of work you do with some degree of supervision by a fully licensed SLP with CCC'S.

On a personal note, it looks like CT has a lower licensing fee... But it looks like it is easier to transfer your license to NY (didn't see a fee listed for that). to transfer license TO Connecticut, it looks to me like you have to submit all of your paperwork again rather than just a copy of your license and verified experience.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh scratch that, you said NJ... Let me look that up really quickly.

Here is the link to the applications and checklists for both types of applications in NJ. You can do your initial license in NJ, which is the temporary license application, or you can apply to transfer after earning your CCC'S in another state. It appears NJ does compare with NY as far as the detail and the massive fees for licensing.


I have had to look up this stuff for my teaching career, so I am used to reading the legal stuff with transferring licenses. It is a pain, but it is worth it to have your full license in that state, which some employers prefer.

Edited by kcald716
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much for all of this! I don't know why I find it so confused haha. I just don't want to make a mistake and think I'll be able to transfer my license afterwards and find out I actually can't. So thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.