Pullman, WA

dirkduck

Hi Kroms,

I'm coming to WSU to study Environmental Sciences, with a TAship. I won't be earning quite as much as you, but I'm estimating that I'll just be able to get by. I may have to use some of my savings, but I think if you're careful you should be fine on $20,000.

I'm an international student too (from Britain) and am trying to find a place to live! I'm thinking of on-campus apartments too, I'm just praying that there will be something available. I'd really like to rent through the university if possible. Anyway if you're interested in keeping in touch and swapping ideas about things as we prepare to move to Pullman, that would be great.

^Wow, that's a bit harsh, E.C.D.

I received an offer from WSU's School of Molecular Biosciences and I might end up accepting it. I found the earlier posts about Pullman and WSU very informative. I was wondering though if there are any additional info that current grad students can provide.

Will I be able to survive with a $20,000 RAship? How much do you guys think can an individual save from that amount (just a rough estimate for someone with a simple lifestyle)? Also, anybody tried staying in the university's graduate housing/apartments? I am an international student and won't be able to visit WSU until August. And since it'll be my first time going to the United States, I am planning to stay in an in-campus apartment/dormitory.

Thank you very much!

Hi Kroms,

I'm coming to WSU to study Environmental Sciences, with a TAship. I won't be earning quite as much as you, but I'm estimating that I'll just be able to get by. I may have to use some of my savings, but I think if you're careful you should be fine on $20,000.

I'm an international student too (from Britain) and am trying to find a place to live! I'm thinking of on-campus apartments too, I'm just praying that there will be something available. I'd really like to rent through the university if possible. Anyway if you're interested in keeping in touch and swapping ideas about things as we prepare to move to Pullman, that would be great.

Hello Lola!

Congrats on your acceptance! I think it's a nice idea to swap information regarding housing and other stuff. I was initially considering on-campus housing but after reading the previous comments and receiving an advice from another student who was able to attend the recruitment visit, I think I might end up looking for off-campus options.

When do you plan to move to Pullman?

Would staying in a larger group (5 and above) housing have an adverse impact on the graduate studies?

I am not really sure if it would but it might help you save some money since everything will be divided to each one of you. If your group are focused and driven individuals who could help each other out, I don't think it will be that much of an issue. But you also have to consider that a larger group may have a very diverse set of interests which may lead to more distractions.

Hi Kroms,

Hi Lola&Kroms,

I'm also moving to Pullman on August. I've already applied to the family/grad housing, but sounds like is not easy to get a place. So, I've been already checking craiglist and the websites that the city recommend (http://www.pullman-wa.com/housing/mapapts.htm) but is kind of difficult to chose a place and not being there...anyways, if you guys want to chat more about housing options you can send me a PM and we can exchange info...=)

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone!

I started with my application for an on-campus, 2-bed, shared graduate apartment (Steptoe Village). My friend and I are currently waitlisted and are planning to look for off-campus housing options. Have you guys started checking the available apartments? Have you asked current graduate students for advice regarding housing? I am hoping you can share it here.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all. I have a 2bedroom apartment in Pullman and I'm looking for a roommate to share. If interested, send me a PM.

Two weeks ago, the Housing Services sent me an email advising for me to start looking for off-campus apartments. They don't think that a graduate apartment will be vacant on August. So my friend and I decided to check for off-campus housing through the internet and narrowed down to two choices: DABCO's Providence Court and Midway Property. After weighing our options, we decided to go with Midway's apartment unit.

When do you guys plan to arrive at Pullman?

Two weeks ago, the Housing Services sent me an email advising for me to start looking for off-campus apartments. They don't think that a graduate apartment will be vacant on August. So my friend and I decided to check for off-campus housing through the internet and narrowed down to two choices: DABCO's Providence Court and Midway Property. After weighing our options, we decided to go with Midway's apartment unit.

When do you guys plan to arrive at Pullman?

Hi Kroms!

I got an email from housing like 2 months ago, so I started right away to look for a place and signed a lease for an apartment with DABCO (Pine Ridge). I'm planning on being there the first week of August. How about you guys?

• 8 months later...

I've never personally been there, but I've lived in Washington long enough to know one thing: they have REALLY good cheese. They also have a bear conservatory... And historically, WSU has had a party culture, but I have heard that this is changing recently.

Washington is an interesting state for a lot of reasons, one of which is the geography. On the west side of the state, you have Seattle, rain forests and urban/suburban living. Crossing over the Cascade mountains to the Eastside, you have more rural farmlands, dried up soil and cows. That is where you'd be going.

Get ready for extreme weather- this winter, they had so much snow it piled over people's cars. In the summer, it is hot as an oven. Also, if you've ever lived in a big city, get ready to feel really isolated. While Pullman is more liberal than the rest of the east side, there are many folks who remain with antiquated views on race, sexuality and gender.

On the positive side- AMAZING cheese. There is a dairy on campus that sells cheese in tin can rounds (I know it is weird, but you have to try it). Really cool recreational opportunities. Idaho (less than 30 minutes away) has some of the best hiking, rafting and climbing opportunities anywhere. There are some cute little hangouts like zeppoz (bowling alley) and too many bars to count. There is a decent rec center on campus, good sports teams and a lot of school spirit.

I have lived all over the US in both small towns and large cities (from Fayetteville, Arkansas to Seattle, WA) and I can tell you without a doubt that Pullman is one of the crappiest towns I have ever been to. However, if you love (I mean unrequitedly love) small town, rural living and hold some moderate/conservative values, you have a good shot at fitting into the Pullman community. Understand that wazzu is not a well-respected university in Washington or the NW region- it is seen as a fall back school for people who didn't get into the University of Washington. In short, if it is a terminal degree, I wouldn't take their offer if I was trying to find work locally.

So, if you end up in Pullman:

• Bring a car. Seriously. You do not want to be stuck in Pullman. You can take weekend trips to Seattle and Idaho that way, and won't feel like you are trapped in a small town for 2-7 years.
  • Find a community, ASAP. For my brother, that was the community gardening group. He mentioned feeling isolated on campus a lot.
  • Find hangouts other than the bars- there is a huge alcoholism issue at wazzu. Moreso than other schools, because it is in the middle of nowhere.
  • Don't live on campus/ near the frats.

Hope this is somewhat helpful. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

-J

• 3 weeks later...

I go to University of Idaho, which is 6 miles away from Washington State in Moscow Idaho. The post above me is somewhat accurate; Pullman is a rather depressing place to be stuck. I can give extra insight to the region, as I have been here for 5 years.

-People come and shop in Moscow, because Pullman has no mall. I work at the mall and it sucks.

-Moscow has more bars than Pullman. They are fun, some are pretty classy, and pretty cheap.

-The Palouse is absolutely beautiful in the spring and summer.

-Drinking is a matter of pride for the students at both Universities. For example, the Vandals wear "Nasty and Inebriated" t-shirts, and the Cougs wear "We party harder than you play" shirts.

-Spokane and Coeur d'Alene are less than 1.5 hours away, and have all of the amenities you need. Skiing, hiking, boating, shopping, international airport, 5 star resort, etc.

-Seattle and Boise are about 5-6 hours away.

-The cost of living is extremely low; I paid as low as $250 a month for a good apartment. It's similar in Pullman.

-Washington State seems to be filled with west siders and international students who are trying to bring the west side with them. The campus feels like a city, but there isn't much outside of that besides hicks and hippies (there are a lot of both).

-I can't comment on how well respected WSU is. UW seems to be trying to the the Ivy league thing, so it's not as if UW rejects are shitty students. Most of the people I know how got rejected had above a 3.5, and are decent students. It's a very bitter subject for many of them. They say that it is easier to get in to UW as an out of state student than in state.

Currently living in Pullman, so I'll tip my 2 cents in on a more positive note. I feel one of the benefits of Pullman is you don't need a car, actually. You can walk to campus from most places in town, and they have a pretty comprehensive bus system. That said, the town is extremely hilly. In fact the entire area is probably one of the hilliest places in America, up there with San Fran and whatnot, so walking can work up some cardio.

Like others have said, Pullman is a small town. It has nice bars and a few cozy hideouts, but no major shopping centers. Personally I don't find this a problem, as malls don't appeal to me much unless I want to buy new jeans or something (and then Moscow's mini-mall works just fine). For others, including some of my friends, Pullman is a little too small, so they like to get out to at least Spokane every three months or so. The drive isn't that far.

The guy above painted Pullman weather a little extreme. Like the rest of America, Pullman and Washington had a pretty warm winter. The average temperature was 30-40 degrees, and we only had one snowfall that made an impact--about two feet. It'll probably be colder next year, but on the plus side summers here are AMAZING. May through July it's a cool 60-70 degrees, it never rains, the sky is spotted with a few friendly white clouds, and the sun is up at 4:30 and doesn't set till going on 8 or 9. It's absolutely wonderful for hiking and outside stuff, and even moreso because the Palouse is quite pretty.

As for how respected the university is, its unhelpful to speculate generally at the graduate level. Not to preach to the choir, but it's all about a specific program within that university, who they have and what they do for their students. Even moreso what your interest is within that program.

• 11 months later...

Hello everyone,

Has anyone out in Gradcafe land resided in Pullman, Washington? Did you enjoy your time there?

In addition, does anyone have advice regarding housing in Pullman, Washington? In particular, was the town pet friendly?

Thank you so much!

Edit: merged this post with an existing thread.  -fuzzy

Edited by fuzzylogician

hey guys, 

I know I'm not supposed to ask this here but where I'm supposed to ask (and I have asked) the latest post is for over a year ago.

Today I accepted the admission offer in Zzusis, but hours later when I checked it again my application status was "Complete" (the green circle) rather than "admitted" (the green tick).

Is yours also like that?

hey guys, 

I know I'm not supposed to ask this here but where I'm supposed to ask (and I have asked) the latest post is for over a year ago.

Today I accepted the admission offer in Zzusis, but hours later when I checked it again my application status was "Complete" (the green circle) rather than "admitted" (the green tick).

Is yours also like that?

Hi there,

I haven't officially accepted yet, so I have the check mark at this time. Congratulations on getting in!

Pax.

Hi there,

I haven't officially accepted yet, so I have the check mark at this time. Congratulations on getting in!

Pax.

Thanks Pax, 

Congrats to you too.

If you accepted please let me know. LoL all my questions arouse in weekends when there are no officials.

Armen 

Edited by brakh

Thanks Pax, 

Congrats to you too.

If you accepted please let me know. LoL all my questions arouse in weekends when there are no officials.

Armen 

Hi Armen,

I did accept! I'll be moving to Pullman mid-June. I received another acceptance, but feel that Pullman is a good place for me and my family. In addition, I think my program has a great deal to offer. I'll be visiting the campus in April to get a sense of things.

See you in Pullman!

To all people who are thinking of coming to WSU DO IT!

I have spent my undergraduate years here and they have been simply amazing. Its a warm and loving school.

GO COUGS!!!

Edited by Nib_nabJab

Hi Armen,

I did accept! I'll be moving to Pullman mid-June. I received another acceptance, but feel that Pullman is a good place for me and my family. In addition, I think my program has a great deal to offer. I'll be visiting the campus in April to get a sense of things.

See you in Pullman!

Good Good, congrats again Pax,

I doubt if i can go before august, probably a week before the classes start. I'm just worried about the housing now. But yet think it won't be hard. see you.

• 11 months later...

I am in my junior year of undergrad at WSU and am planning on applying for my PhD program here next year. I absolutely love it. It's a very traditional college town- 31,000 residents, 19,000 of which are students. This creates a really awesome environment. There is no town-gown conflicts...the mayor is a professor in the College of Comm and the voice of Cougar football, just to give you an example. Any specific questions, feel free to let me know!

I visited Pullman last Oct. to meet with the grad program and my POI. It's the one place that I am feeling "iffy" about living at. My biggest concerns are: winters and my dietary restrictions. When I visited, just being there for two days, I could not find good places for me to eat! I'm concerned that if I spend the next 6-10 years there it's going to really weigh on me! I've only heard fantastic things about the anthropology department, though, and it would be a really great place to get my PhD! 

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone has questions about Pullman, WA I would be happy to help. I've lived in Pullman since 2008, completed my undergraduate work here, and have resided in Pullman.

Contact me if you have specific questions.

Edited by ballerina18