Brighton, UK

jtu2tj

Hello,

I'm considering going to the University of Sussex, IDS, MA gender and development,

I was just wondering if anyone can give me some info on Brighton, or campus life at the university of sussex?

how big of a city is Brighton? is everything available and accessible there? or do ppl find themselves having to go to london? 

how is the weather like? is it really gloomy? is it easy being a vegetarian there?

Any info would be really helpful!

thanks!

Brighton is a pleasant, if a bit run down, seaside town. It's a center for LGBT life in the UK, and has a large LGBT population; it's also full of hippy types, so I imagine that it's likely one of the best places to find vegetarian food in the UK! It has a pretty good music scene, and lots of students, as there a a number of universities in the region. It's small, but not that small (certainly not compared to some college towns in the US). London is an hour away on the train, so very easy to get to, if you want big city stuff, but really Brighton has a lot to offer: loads of little cafes and restaurants, twee Victoriana, and pretty good weather (for the UK...whose bad weather is, in any case, a bit of a myth...although, I suppose it all depends on where you are coming from).

Edited by wreckofthehope

I think Brighton's population was about 300k the last time I checked.  It's a really fantastic place and has lots to do and see.  Falmer is a great campus but can be a bit quiet.  I'd recommend living off campus (but maybe I'm biased) and commuting in.  I lived near a train station so campus was always only a 5-minute train ride away.  Most things are accessible and easy to get.  I don't think I ever needed anything that required going up to London.  Brighton has quite a few vegetarian restaurants so I wouldn't worry.  Like wreckofthehope said, it's a hippy area so you should be fine.  Brighton is fab!

thank you so much for your replies! sounds like a wonderful place!

marxistfeministdialectic I was wondering where is it that you stayed? what was the area or location called? how often does one usually go into brighton? is it really 10 mins by train from the campus?

thanks!

I lived in a university-owned house near London Rd station.  I went into Brighton every day because it was a 15 minute walk into town (or if I was feeling lazy, a few minutes on the bus).  There's also lots of accommodation aimed at students in Moulsecoomb which has a train station that is even closer to campus.  The other popular spot for students is Lewes Road.  For me though, the house I lived in was perfect.  Five minutes by train to campus and fifteen minutes' walk to town.  It was the best of both worlds. 

• Warelin changed the title to Brighton, UK