NYU MS Global Affairs

I applied to that program too and really hope to hear good things from them soon. I'm not all together sure about the program, but it appears to be very solid in its focus and connections. I'm particularly interested in their Human Rights and Humanitarian Assistance tract. I applied relatively late (end of February), so I hope not to hear too late after my other schools respond. Good luck! Reading about the program and listening to the online "open house" made me really excited about its prospects.

I was about to start a similar thread since I haven't seen anybody applying to NYU's M. in Global Aff.

I've applied to other 4 IR programms (only heard from Tufts - waitlisted...grr...) and this is the only one that nobody talks about. The programm looks great and tuition is not as bad as others, but NYU is not an APSIA member and I'm not sure either about the recognition that SCPS has compared to other NYU Schools or other IR MA.

Anybody knows?

The programm looks great and tuition is not as bad as others, but NYU is not an APSIA member and I'm not sure either about the recognition that SCPS has compared to other NYU Schools or other IR MA.

Anybody knows?

I have the same question actually. Its a new program so maybe the alumni network of the program is not that strong but that of the school (NYU) may give it a boost up. I am likewise interested in their Geneva program. Has anyone here heard from them? I submitted last Feb 2 and based from the reply email, they should reply in 2-3 weeks but I haven't heard still.

Someone from autoadmit said that the program is not strong in a sense that she/he graduated from it a few years ago but is still jobless. I think this is a case-to-case basis though. Anyhow, its not just the program's name but what you make out of it. My two cents worth.

I sent them everything by early Feb and called them last week to ask why my application status was still incomplete. They couldn't find most of my documents (?) and said they'll start to check applications by March 15. Do you have a complete status in the web?

NYU is definately a good univ. so even if the program is quite new, I'm quite happy about the possibility of getting in. My reason to applied was the programm's recommendation in the Foreign Policy Association web, but the fact that nobody posted anything about it, honestly, scared me a bit...

I sent them everything by early Feb and called them last week to ask why my application status was still incomplete. They couldn't find most of my documents (?) and said they'll start to check applications by March 15. Do you have a complete status in the web?quote]

What website is this Neverending? The same one where we completed online apps? If that's the one mine just says 'submitted' and there are no messages in my mailbox.

Actually when I emailed them regarding admissions results the counselor just said:

"Applications will be reviewed in the order they were received. If information is missing from your application at the point of review you will be notified by an Admission Counselor."

I haven't been notified yet regarding missing docs though...I guess that's a good sign.

And something like results in the previous years were usually mailed by end of March. I am just not sure if the same goes this year as apps are higher.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my acceptance letter by snail mail today (though the letter was dated March 26th.) However, I would advise you to completely forget about checking the online status check...because not only does it not say I am accepted...it says that my application is still incomplete! I am sure you will be hearing soon. I am honestly considering this program; it appears to be fantastic, you can't beat the location, and it has a tremendous alumni network and career/intern resources. Good luck and let me know how it goes for you!

hi everyone,

i registered to get in on this conversation of yours. i was accepted to nyu's global affairs program as well, and was thrilled, but then i read that negative review on autoadmit that one of you referred to. you all seem pretty enthused about the program, which is encouraging. and i was enthused about it, as well, but now i'm feeling uncertain. i also found a listing the university had posted a few months ago, looking for a new director of the global affairs program. someone tell me something encouraging!

hi everyone,

i registered to get in on this conversation of yours. i was accepted to nyu's global affairs program as well, and was thrilled, but then i read that negative review on autoadmit that one of you referred to. you all seem pretty enthused about the program, which is encouraging. and i was enthused about it, as well, but now i'm feeling uncertain. i also found a listing the university had posted a few months ago, looking for a new director of the global affairs program. someone tell me something encouraging!

Hi Spackle,

I don't think it makes much sense to let ONE negative review deter you. With the 270 students currently in the program...I highly doubt all of them would say the program is negative. A few things to keep in mind: what matters less is the program and the ranking. Employers are not familiar with rankings...they are familar with school names. NYU is ranked 33 out of all universities, including private, in the nation. It is a very well-regarded institution in the whole US if not the world. Honestly, how many people don't know NYU? Secondly, its graduate programs are known to be even harder to get into than undergrad (which only has an acceptance rate of about 25%.) To give you an idea....the law school is ranked fifth in the nation, the stern school of business is number ten in the nation. Next, look at the faculty profiles. Not only are all from top ranked schools, they also have real world practical experience. On top of that, you have the city plus NYU's alumni network at your fingers for jobs and internships. New York really is the capitol of the world right now. I can't imagine a better place to be. According to the admissions packet, they had a 95% job placement rate. Furthermore, the good thing about the program is that you are not tied down to the public or government sector. You can specialize in the private sector if you want to which gives you much greater job flexibility and income potential. I would watch the webinar for further information. I am attending this over many other great programs, so feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Hi

I have applied to the MS in Global Affairs in January and haven't heard anything from the school yet. My application status is still incomplete on the online system. And I haven't received an email yet to resend any materials.

I had also applied for the Reynolds Fellowship, the results for which were supposed to be out by March 11. Despite numerous emails to the concerned person, various telephone calls where I am asked to dial the other department I have not heard anything on the Fellowship or the admission.

It is a bit of a put off if the school doesn't bother with such things.

Regards

I applied to the program back in December, for Fall 2009. I have still yet to get a reply. When I call to check the status they tell me it's still in review. For a program that advertises rolling admissions, I am quite dissapointed in the time it is taking to get a response. When I ask them about this, they only explain that there were 50% more applicants this year than last. I've already heard from the 5 other schools I applied to (in at LBJ, American SIS, GWU Elliott, and The New School MAIA, rejected from Georgetown MSFS). With acceptance deadlines rapidly approaching, I'm a little frustrated with NYU. But should I be accepted and offered some financial aid, I would consider the school still. Has anyone who has been accepted been offered scholarship/fellowship? Do they announce this in the initial letter of acceptance?

I applied to the program back in December, for Fall 2009. I have still yet to get a reply. When I call to check the status they tell me it's still in review. For a program that advertises rolling admissions, I am quite dissapointed in the time it is taking to get a response. When I ask them about this, they only explain that there were 50% more applicants this year than last. I've already heard from the 5 other schools I applied to (in at LBJ, American SIS, GWU Elliott, and The New School MAIA, rejected from Georgetown MSFS). With acceptance deadlines rapidly approaching, I'm a little frustrated with NYU. But should I be accepted and offered some financial aid, I would consider the school still. Has anyone who has been accepted been offered scholarship/fellowship? Do they announce this in the initial letter of acceptance?

Their acceptance of admissions deadline is not until June 1. It is semi-rolling because people could apply up to March 15, 2009. All admitted applicants get some nominal award (probably up to 4,000 but I don't know the exact number yet.) This is what was told to me. I will let you know more when I get my packet.

Hi All,

I have also been accepted into this program for fall 2009 and am trying to make a decision btwn MS global affairs vs. The New School's GPIA. I currently live in NY and planned on staying here, hence only applying to schools in this area. What appealed to me about both programs vs. the typical IR programs at other schools (SIPA and SAIS) is their interdisciplinary emphasis on the study of international relations, not only focusing on the poli and econ aspects of it... Anyway would love to talk to you all more about this. Either PM me or we can keep this thread going. I actually sat in on a class and attended a symposium.

• 2 weeks later...