NYU MS Global Affairs

I have also just been accepted into the Fall 09 class. I am excited, but share some of these concerns - that it is not an APSIA school (or affiliate) and I've also noticed a lack of responsiveness and organization at the center... I am already a working professional in the field and would be quitting my job and relocating, so I want to be sure the program is solid and will provide me with better career prospects once I have my degree. Although it is not an APSIA school, it is still NYU, so it seems being able to list that on a resume would still be helpful... Thoughts or additional observations about the program?

Golonghorns, I'm curious what finally turned you off of the program? You seemed enthusiastic about it only a few posts ago...

I've decided to attend GWU's Elliott School. NYU just doesn't add up to me. The program is too young and there's virtually no departmental fellowship/scholarship offerings. I'm opting for the most established program. Also my correspondence with NYU has been sub-par, while GWU has been very helpful and responsive.

Hi Spackle,

I don't think it makes much sense to let ONE negative review deter you. With the 270 students currently in the program...I highly doubt all of them would say the program is negative. A few things to keep in mind: what matters less is the program and the ranking. Employers are not familiar with rankings...they are familar with school names. NYU is ranked 33 out of all universities, including private, in the nation. It is a very well-regarded institution in the whole US if not the world. Honestly, how many people don't know NYU? Secondly, its graduate programs are known to be even harder to get into than undergrad (which only has an acceptance rate of about 25%.) To give you an idea....the law school is ranked fifth in the nation, the stern school of business is number ten in the nation. Next, look at the faculty profiles. Not only are all from top ranked schools, they also have real world practical experience. On top of that, you have the city plus NYU's alumni network at your fingers for jobs and internships. New York really is the capitol of the world right now. I can't imagine a better place to be. According to the admissions packet, they had a 95% job placement rate. Furthermore, the good thing about the program is that you are not tied down to the public or government sector. You can specialize in the private sector if you want to which gives you much greater job flexibility and income potential. I would watch the webinar for further information. I am attending this over many other great programs, so feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

I cant comment on the MA program but I do have to point out your flawed logic. Just because NYU Law School and their business school and their undergrad is selective dosent really bear on their MA program in global affairs. I would be very surprised if their global affairs MA has less than a 25% admitted rate. The MA is run through their school of continuing ed - Again, I cant comment on the program because im not familiar with it but going to a program just based on the strength of the University name in completely unrelated fields like law and business dosent really make sense. Georgetown has an MA in "Liberal Studies" where you can concentrate in International Relations but this is completely different from their well known MSFS. That program is also run through a different school - school of continuing ed and admission is not competitive.

Ethan....my point is that most employers recognize school names and are not as familiar with programs/rankings. NYU is very well regarded and getting a masters from NYU would be seen as quite an achievement no matter the program.

you said that your going to the greatest city in the world... where did you decide to go to school?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All - Happened to come across this website when I noticed all of the input on NYU's global affairs program. I was also accepted into the program but have similar concerns. Although I know NYU as a whole has a highly regarded reputation, my concern is:
1) Relative newness of this specific program 2) the negative posts about the program on this site, 3) Lack of APSIA ranking.

However, I did see that NYU's program is ranked by the Foreign Policy Association as a top school for IR, but am not sure how much weight that means?

Can anyone speak to these concerns, and also provide input on Boston University's IR/COM program. I am deciding between the two programs and have no idea which one to choose. For background, BU has an APSIA affiliate ranking and has been around for 20+ years.

I know after graduate school I want to end up in New York, but am not sure which program is better suited for that goal?!?

THANKS!

I have decided to attend the MSGA program at NYU this fall. I feel more confident about the program after meeting with them recently. I think the program location in the heart of New York City, the networking events and being able to list NYU on my resume are still career boosters, despite it's not being an APSIA school.

I just graduated this week from the NYU program, and here's what i think.

The focus is very strongly on working with people who are active in the community already, so there are tons of events, guest speakers and chances to network. Internship is promoted. I have interned with Witness and Human Rights Watch. I had a Human Rights concentration. The professors included Professor Hill was is doing peace keeping work in Iraq, Professor Walker who works for Freedom House, Professor Shaw, an economist from the UN, and Professors who have worked in the field during actually humanitarian crisis.

Though it is a new program, it is hugely expanding. Just this month they have decided to add a Security Concentration and a Peace Building one. The class are a good size, ranging from 15-20 people on avg, and class discussion, group projects, and presentations are common, as well as research papers, Literature Reviews, OP ed writing, Briefing memo, how to write Grant Proposals, etc.

I don't think the SCPS standing will hurt you in job market, most people hear NYU and they don't ask which school in particular. The classes also have an interesting mix of people, for example, student who runs their own NGO, or works for UN, or is a former Marine. There are way more women than men in the classes.

I also did the Geneva trip and think its a great experience. I learned a lot about how the UN functions, and how the World Bank/IMF/Red Cross work. There is also a China trip, a Trip to Cuba and a Trip to Ghana. Geneva is a lovely city, a little expensive, the hotel was nice and close to the UN.

if you have any questions about the program i would be happy to answer them, my email is eej201@nyu.edu

• 2 weeks later...

I've never heard of "FPA" and looking at the list of "top schools" I'm curious how they came up with the rankings. I've never heard of UC Boulder being a "top school" for IR or Political Science.

Far be it from me to disparage NYU - I received my undergraduate degree at the university. That being said I think the MS in Global Affairs program at SCPS is coming along nicely. I know someone in the program now and he said it's quite rigorous and thorough. I believe he's doing a Latin American Affairs concentration.

NYU also provides great support to its students and the location is unparalleled.

• 1 year later...

anoyone applied to this program for fall 2011?

i did!

the other 3 programs i applied to were for environmental management.. so i don't know how good my fit is w.global affairs..

which concentration did you apply for? i chose environment/energy policy.

::fingers crossed!!::

• 3 weeks later...

I did too! I'm planning on going the "private sector" route, although a few of the other concentrations have me interested.

:::fingers crossed::: as well.

Good luck to you guys.

I've also applied for Fall 2011 with the Transnational Security concentration. When did you apply/have you heard yet? I was told its a 2-3week turn around for a decision.. I applied Jan 27 so I am just waiting to hear and for the online app tracker to update that they did receive my transcripts! Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I received an acceptance email this weekend. Yay! Now, I'm just super concerned about tuition. It is about 16k per semester! Luckily, I live at home in NYC. I'll probably commute. Apparently, we should hear about funding at the end of this month, at least that is what their Financial Aid Office told me. Right now, I think it is up the air. Anyone is planning on attending NYU MS Global Affairs Fall 2011?

I was also accepted this past weekend. Trying to decide between NYU and The Whitehead School at Seton Hall. Any thoughts???

Got my acceptance e-mail today. I'll be attending this fall. Congrats to the two of you!

Congrats to everyone that was accepted!

What concentration are you most interested in? What are your thoughts on the program?

My main concern is the tuition. I have no clue how I am going to pay 16k a semester when I already owe close to 35k from undergrad. -_-. I'll be in debt for the rest of my life! I mean how much are you willing to pay to have NYU on your resume? lol

I think I'm leaning towards Seton Hall. NYU might be more recognizable as a whole, but I think this program in particular is not their best.

Congrats to everyone that was accepted!

What concentration are you most interested in? What are your thoughts on the program?

My main concern is the tuition. I have no clue how I am going to pay 16k a semester when I already owe close to 35k from undergrad. -_-. I'll be in debt for the rest of my life! I mean how much are you willing to pay to have NYU on your resume? lol