Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

To those people waiting on Northwestern rejections, do you think there is any hope at all for seeing "an admissions decision has not yet been rendered" notification? I obviously don't expect to get a rogue acceptance email at this point. More curious about maybe being waitlisted... maybe they are waiting to see how many people decline their offers after the rest of the T20 have given admissions decisions?

Of course, I could just call and ask, but that would be too easy. It also seems premature given that people have only posted rejections today...

To those people waiting on Northwestern rejections, do you think there is any hope at all for seeing "an admissions decision has not yet been rendered" notification? I obviously don't expect to get a rogue acceptance email at this point. More curious about maybe being waitlisted... maybe they are waiting to see how many people decline their offers after the rest of the T20 have given admissions decisions?

Of course, I could just call and ask, but that would be too easy. It also seems premature given that people have only posted rejections today...

So far it seems like the acceptances that were sent out last week were only for IR and Theory. The rejections that were on the website this morning were only for Comparative. I think the American and Comparative decisions are not finalized yet but I've emailed the department so we'll see.

So far it seems like the acceptances that were sent out last week were only for IR and Theory. The rejections that were on the website this morning were only for Comparative. I think the American and Comparative decisions are not finalized yet but I've emailed the department so we'll see.

I know one Americanist from the boards was accepted to Northwestern in the first round, not sure if anyone else was. Also, not sure about comparative.

I know one Americanist from the boards was accepted to Northwestern in the first round, not sure if anyone else was. Also, not sure about comparative.

You're referring to the first acceptance posted on the results board, correct? It says American/Theory. I'm assuming it's theory because everyone who got their acceptance around that time was Theory. Even the IR admits came later.

You're referring to the first acceptance posted on the results board, correct? It says American/Theory. I'm assuming it's theory because everyone who got their acceptance around that time was Theory. Even the IR admits came later.

RE: Northwestern, visiting weekend is March 6-9 and admitted students are being asked to RSVP by this Friday. :/

The wait-list might be a different story entirely. 

That was me, and my primary field is American.  I added the theory part because I made it clear in my SOP that it would be my secondary field and a large influence on my empirical work.

RE: Northwestern, visiting weekend is March 6-9 and admitted students are being asked to RSVP by this Friday. :/

The wait-list might be a different story entirely. 

That was me, and my primary field is American.  I added the theory part because I made it clear in my SOP that it would be my secondary field and a large influence on my empirical work.

Got it. Thanks.

First, CONGRATS to Columbia people. You rock!

Btw, I have a question for you guys, what do you think is more important: general political science rankings or subfield rankings? Assuming the two are significantly different. 

Both are important, no doubt, but subfield ranking may be more important depending on the case. For theory, subfield ranking is definitely more important given the significant disparity between subfield - general rankings of many top theory places. Obviously, rankings are rankings, so both are as important as one should take rankings seriously.

I'd always been under the impression that the C was for Columbia...

HYP is Harvard Yale Princeton, obviously, and then Columbia was added since it's also in the upper half of the Ivies, rankings-wise, and then M for MIT and S for Stanford, because strong programs and whatnot. 

Outside of California and internationally, most people refer to UC-Berkeley as simply Berkeley, and not Cal, actually. 

First of all CHYMPS is supposed to be a derogatory term for the kind of ranking-obsessed elitist culture in our discipline. The CHYMPS schools were, I guess, the poster child of that, being the "top" ones in terms of rankings, while the ranking craze is obviously rampant everywhere not just in those schools. So there is that.

C used to be Chicago when this term was coined first. Chicago had an amazing program (still a great school but, you know, it used to be AMAZING). After Chicago's apparent decline, it became increasingly unclear what the "C" stands for. There is no answer, nor there is a consensus. Columbia, Berkeley and Cal-tech are all great programs, and no-one would be surprised if C stood for either of them. However, the very fact that people are fighting over the letter C in CHYMPS is quite ironic and a bit self-defeating. (I am not referring to you guys, you don't have a dog in the fight yet)

Thanks. I don't understand the delay, but oh well.

Yeah, another faculty member responded to my inquiry and said the decision process is still on-going. I know some people have thrown around the masters degree as a possible explanation, but I don't remember agreeing to that option on the application if rejected to the PhD program. 

...However, the very fact that people are fighting over the letter C in CHYMPS is quite ironic and a bit self-defeating. (I am not referring to you guys, you don't have a dog in the fight yet.

But the M is for Michigan, right? RIGHT?  ;)

I haven't heard anything drom Vanderbilt. Are they done with the results?

Ad what about Upenn?

I assumed Vanderbilt was finished with admissions. Past years suggest that waitlists and rejections go out together, so I've been looking forward to that...

I haven't heard anything from Penn, but FYI Philly was hit hard by the snow, and closed down a lot during the past couple of weeks.

This seems to be the most reasonable explanation for total radio silence from Penn? It's a stretch for me in terms of qualifications and fit alike, so I'm not sold on receiving good news from them, but the total silence can be disconcerting.

I assumed Vanderbilt was finished with admissions. Past years suggest that waitlists and rejections go out together, so I've been looking forward to that...

This seems to be the most reasonable explanation for total radio silence from Penn? It's a stretch for me in terms of qualifications and fit alike, so I'm not sold on receiving good news from them, but the total silence can be disconcerting.

Since when is this board about reasonable explanations? 

I don't know if this is new news (probably not, since the results historically show later response times), but I emailed Syracuse yesterday and they said they're still going through PhD applications. So, for whoever is waiting for Syracuse with me, it's going to be a while.

Obviously the entire department got canned and they're not hiring anyone else as to allocate more funding to the swim team. Come on now.

Obviously.

(This would be less funny--or more funny?--if Florida hadn't done that to their CS department for football money...)

Edited by cupofnimbus