Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

My hunch is that Stanford isn't done yet (seems weird to me that no theory or IR folks have posted, unless they just aren't reporting. Also in past years about 12 people have reported a green light, and right now we're only at 6...). I think they typically have the subfield POC make calls and so perhaps the adcom rep for those fields just hasn't done so yet. But this may be entirely wishful thinking on my part. If anyone has more info, please share!

Edited by packrat

Did they send an email about this?

I wish. 

In our business though, it seems no news is bad news, so I've stopped hoping...sorry for the negativity...just saying it is good to move on!!! 

(knock on wood) 

I wish. 

In our business though, it seems no news is bad news, so I've stopped hoping...sorry for the negativity...just saying it is good to move on!!! 

(knock on wood) 

Yes same here. Still gonna hope today, but then it does not matter, I have good offers from two very good schools :) Just want to know when to stop hoping and move on ^^

How'd you know about the number of applicants at Stanford?

No, but this is what I was told via telephone... For some reason, this season sounds far more intense than those prior in terms of size and interest.

Wasn't the previous info we had 400 for this year? Wondering how many they hope to enroll, standard seems to be about 20?

Congrats, BTW!

I'm just curious - how did you folks handle the phone call? Were you audibly stoked, or did you keep your cool?

I actually missed my call (so I had time to compose myself), but I saw the 650 area code and called back. I did sound excited, but I think still composed

Every MIT admit has been contacted by phone, or were there any email notifications? 

Did someone already got a Boston University notification as well? 

MIT will not be sending out emails as far as I know, but will be notifying by phone and then postal service. Phone calls were not made at the same time though (some yesterday, some today) so there might still be time! 

I got BU.

Congrats!!! Subfield?

MIT will not be sending out emails as far as I know, but will be notifying by phone and then postal service. Phone calls were not made at the same time though (some yesterday, some today) so there might still be time! 

Thanks for the info! It's gonna be brutal to wait for the letter as an int'l student if there is no phone call soon!! 

You've probably read this already, but I find this story kinda comforting at the time we wait for results. 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/02/20/whatsapp_co_founder_brian_acton_got_turned_down_for_a_job_by_facebook.html

A very good story, for everyone here. I'm out of up-votes (apparently, I'm too generous with praise? :) ), so I'll say thank you for this. 

Sometimes we can be a bit myopic in our perspective, and when the direct pathway to our goals is hindered we get discouraged. It is good to see someone not easily saddened by a failure or misstep, and who continued to pursue his/her goals regardless (and get a reward later). 

I shared this with a forum member via PM at the start of this cycle (man we've been here for a long time): http://cdixon.org/2010/09/12/getting-rejected/ . Both the blurb, and the comments beneath it, are everything we need to hear today, and every tomorrow from now on (especially when we start our studies/try to publish/try to find a TT position, which won't be simple either).

Seems as if business men and women have a great perspective on how to handle life when things do not go as hoped.