Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Syracuse admitted students:

If you have any questions about the city, he maxwell school and profs, feel free to PM me. I am currently an MA student here.

I have had a truly unbelievable week, which is why I haven't posted on here in a while. Since last Tuesday, I've received five acceptances, bringing my record to 7 for 7 with 5 left to announce. That's about 7 more acceptances that I was expecting and I am still completely in shock.

To all of you who helped me through the long wait, thank you so much. You've been a godsend. 

I have had a truly unbelievable week, which is why I haven't posted on here in a while. Since last Tuesday, I've received five acceptances, bringing my record to 7 for 7 with 5 left to announce. That's about 7 more acceptances that I was expecting and I am still completely in shock.

To all of you who helped me through the long wait, thank you so much. You've been a godsend. 

Impressive! Great job! (Must not be a coincidence if several top schools are in agreement. 

With that said, I too am waiting for several decisions. Though I am only 1 for 3, but my one offer includes funding+stipend, you know, the works. 

Still waiting for three decisions. The optimistic side to this is that there have already been rejections and acceptances to these programs for several weeks. Must mean something if I have yet to have been rejected, while several others already have. (As awful as the enjoyment of seeing that others have been rejected is)

Edited by sylark

Hey all. I've been following this thread for awhile and perhaps psyching myself out about hearing back from Georgetown, SAIS and the Graduate Institute Geneva. My undergraduate thesis advisor said all three schools tend to send out admissions later relative to others, and even told me that when it came to my current university's MA and PhD acceptances, staff had barely had a chance to crack open the 400+ applications. So the waiting game may not only be weather related (we've had our fair share of snowstorms this year) but also who is just plain busy. Sounds tedious I know. I hate that I haven't heard back from any of my applications yet, and really can't expect to for another two weeks or so. It's my understanding that Georgetown, specifically SFS, usually releases decisions around the 15th or later - though I could be wrong.

Anyways, I'm sure that I will be around, waiting on pins and needles until I hear back.

Anyone claiming/can verify the Masters admit to Columbia??

Since their deadline is April 2nd and the website FAQ states:

A. Admission notices:

Admission to the M.A. program is made on a rolling basis. Beginning as early as mid- to late- May, students who have been admitted to the program will be notified of their acceptance. The department continues to admit students until the desired class size is attained.

Decline notices:

Given the application deadline of April 2 (when most applications are submitted) and the rolling nature of the M.A. admissions process, notifications to students who are declined admission usually are not sent until the early summer. Although the department recognizes that this is less than ideal for most candidates who may be weighing other options, the department cannot respond to applicant inquiries until the admission process is complete.

I'd figured there was at least two months until it'd be time to start stressing about responses :unsure:

Edit: fixed a typo

Edited by veritaserum

Hello all:

I was thinking about making a new thread/topic for this question, but I just wanted to throw it out to the readers of this thread first as I continue to search through older posts on the same topic. My political science/IR Ph.D application cycle is not proving fruitful, with 6 rejections and 4 pending. I did, however, receive admissions into NYU's MA political science program because I checked the box to be considered for it (a consolation prize, as some had noted). I'm struggling with trying to decide if I should go to that program, improve my profile, and try again two fall cycles later. Besides the amount of debt I would have to take on to do the program, in the back of my mind I feel like if I applied directly for MA programs, I would have been able to have the freedom of choosing my programs (I regret not appying to Columbia or Chicago, as they also redirect to master's programs). Of course, the issue is that most well-regarded IR master's programs are professional-based ones (SFS, SAIS, etc.), and there's disagreement whether these programs are good preparers for a doctorate degree ().

So, my question is: what are some great academic-based, MA programs that have a history of placing graduates into Ph.D programs? Is NYU even one of those? Much thanks if you're able to help.

Edited by AnotherGradHopeful

NYU has strong methods training, and my guess is that since the PS department is so small, that MA students will be there with PhD students. But FFS, a two year MA at NYU, with living expenses, can easily set you back 150k. You'll be spending 13 grand a year when you graduate just on the interest payments.

Hello all:

I was thinking about making a new thread/topic for this question, but I just wanted to throw it out to the readers of this thread first as I continue to search through older posts on the same topic. My political science/IR Ph.D application cycle is not proving fruitful, with 6 rejections and 4 pending. I did, however, receive admissions into NYU's MA political science program because I checked the box to be considered for it (a consolation prize, as some had noted). I'm struggling with trying to decide if I should go to that program, improve my profile, and try again two fall cycles later. Besides the amount of debt I would have to take on to do the program, in the back of my mind I feel like if I applied directly for MA programs, I would have been able to have the freedom of choosing my programs (I regret not appying to Columbia or Chicago, as they also redirect to master's programs). Of course, the issue is that most well-regarded IR master's programs are professional-based ones (SFS, SAIS, etc.), and there's disagreement whether these programs are good preparers for a doctorate degree ().

So, my question is: what are some great academic-based, MA programs that have a history of placing graduates into Ph.D programs? Is NYU even one of those? Much thanks if you're able to help.

The answer to your question depends on the rest of your profile. In the next 7 months can you get much better GRE scores? Can you publish something? Can you do some research at a good think tank? There might be less expensive solutions to vastly improve your profile. 

If you feel it was your undergrad GPA that put your file into the rejection pile, perhaps an MA is the best option though. 

Also, I would look at intensive 1-year MA programs if you are looking to get the extra training. There are some in Europe and the Middle East too which are substantially less expensive than NYU. The deadlines haven't passed on many of them. Good luck with the decision. 

Edit: expensive not extensive -- sorry

Edited by IR IR IR PhD

AnotherGradHopeful,

Beyond GRE scores and GPAs--what's your background? It seems to me it's critical to have overseas experience/language training for IR. Do you know if you really want a career in academia? or something IR related? Is there a way you can gain some experience/publish something IR related that fits your interests/talents?

Reading through old SOPs, it seems to me a lot of applicants don't seem clearly focused or have a passionate direction with the research they want to do. I think if you figure that out, and focus on that goal, you could reapply again and do well. Maybe it won't be next cycle though, maybe it will be in a year after you've explored that more. Don't get discouraged. 

In general, masters programs are cash cows. They accept as many good enough candidates as possible (so chances are, you'll get into lots of them if that is what you decide to do). Funding is not at all common--it is very much the exception.  But, as you noted, many of these programs are policy oriented and they are very expensive. They prepare students for jobs that could lead them to a PhD after more experience/research in the field. Best of luck. 

Finally received the rejection email from Chicago. But they did offer me admission to CIR with a half tuition waiver.

its-something.jpg

Congrats — at least now you have another option.

Claiming Temple rejection. With only 2 programs at Harvard remaining, I am moving on, possibly applying to 3 UK schools now. Thank you for the support that you all have given me through this forum. Couldn't have done this alone. Congratulations to everyone who got in, and Good luck to all.

Claiming Temple rejection. With only 2 programs at Harvard remaining, I am moving on, possibly applying to 3 UK schools now. Thank you for the support that you all have given me through this forum. Couldn't have done this alone. Congratulations to everyone who got in, and Good luck to all.

I'll say it again: It ain't over till it's over. Pulling for you! Us East Asia people need to stick together... ;) However, looking to the UK might make sense for your interests. Would you be pursuing a M.A. or a DPhil/PhD? With your interests, you might want to look at continental Europe as well. Berlin (FU) is pretty big on Japanese studies/political science. There's a new PhD program within the Graduate SChool of East Asian Studies, which might interest you. You'd get a PhD in PoliSci from Freie, but would be with other regional scholars (economists, sociologists etc. on East Asia). I think the deadline for this year might have passed, so just some food for thought for next year.

Edited by IRToni