Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

A huge congratulations indeed to the Harvard admits! 

I'm almost sad to see this application cycle wind down. Everyone here has been so helpful and supportive (with one exception, haha =D ). I truly hope to meet all of you in person someday (hopefully at research conferences or perhaps even by being on the same department's faculty!). All future professors should be required to disclose their old gradcafe usernames haha.

so like... should i be giving up all hope on georgetown?

this whole process is one of the most emotionally exhausting things i've ever done hahaha

I've been in touch with them and it seems like if you haven't heard you're still in the running. I was told final decisions should be out by mid-March. Not sure about funding though (if they've already dished it all out?) I'm with you on the emotionally exhausting part

I'm almost sad to see this application cycle wind down. Everyone here has been so helpful and supportive (with one exception, haha =D ). I truly hope to meet all of you in person someday (hopefully at research conferences or perhaps even by being on the same department's faculty!). All future professors should be required to disclose their old gradcafe usernames haha.

I'm secretly afraid people won't be so nice next year! I'm sure this is totally unfounded, though. Folks are nice here!

(I agree about "unmasking", so to speak. Be nice if bumming around here could count as professional development/networking!)

Congratulations to all the Harvard and UPenn (and any other) admits!!

I'm secretly afraid people won't be so nice next year! I'm sure this is totally unfounded, though. Folks are nice here!

(I agree about "unmasking", so to speak. Be nice if bumming around here could count as professional development/networking!)

LOL I have the same (hopefully unfounded) fears, especially since it looks like I'll be coming back for another cycle too...

Is here anyone who have not received any message from UCLA? Did UCLA send waitlist in this cycle??

I also did not receive any official notification from UCLA so far. So I'm also curious about waitlist notifications.

Guys, congrats on Harvard! Guess it is over? 

I also congratulate all Harvard admits. Message on the submission board about 30 admits at Harvard this year makes me think that either Harvard is not done yet or Harvard admits are highly underrepresented on the gradcafe. So I still do hope (just emailed the department).

LOL I have the same (hopefully unfounded) fears, especially since it looks like I'll be coming back for another cycle too...

HIGH FIVE. Um, sort of. We'll be in it together, at least ;)

Got an email (answer from Thom Wall on my email) from Harvard with rejection  :(

Sorry to hear it-- I did too. It's disappointing, of course, but huge props to Harvard for how quickly and courteously they respond to email.

So, I am sad to say that I received my last rejection today, and I have now gone 0 for 6. I knew in advance that there was a risk to applying to this number of (highly competitive) programs and I guessed where the weaknesses in my applications might be, but I believed I had a non-zero chance and I went for it. No regrets, and I am already planning for next year.

The problem right now is thinking about how exactly to improve my application, and with so many variables in the admissions process, I do not feel I can completely/accurately asses it. So if there is anyone right now who is riding a wave of good will and would be willing to talk to me further-- especially comparative, but also IR-- please send me a PM.

I bit more about myself: as an undergrad, I focused mainly on political theory, IR/security studies, and some IR theory, writing something like a senior thesis on classical, canonical IR thinkers. I spent a year abroad after finishing my BA in my region of interest, and followed up with a master's in area studies, where I wrote the equivalent of a thesis (the program was one year and did not formally support one) on an issue in political economy in the country I had lived over the prior year. There I took a few more comparative courses, before moving back to the region to work and improve my language skills. My undergrad department offered zero methodological training, so I consider that my main shortcoming. But it is also entirely possible that I don't know the comparative literature as well as I thought I did. I'll add more if anyone is willing to talk shop.

I truly to congratulate everyone who did well this cycle, especially those who applied multiple cycles. And to those like myself who didn't get what we wanted the first time we asked for it-- let's keep on fighting!

I'll be right there with you. Just got my last rejection. 

There's a 99% chance I'll be joining you guys next year as well (unless I luck out a 1 in a 100 scholarship at Cambridge). As depressing as it is, it gives me a real boost to see all of the people this year who got great acceptances on their 2nd/3rd cycles. 

Ways you can improve your application: do more research, do better on GREs, revise SOP, show you can do math.

On the research bit: how do you recommend going about this if you aren't in an academic setting at present? Do I just... write research with no particular end in mind? 

The GRE thing is my big goal this year, though it will be really nice to bang out some research that demonstrates I have an idea of what's what.

On the research bit: how do you recommend going about this if you aren't in an academic setting at present? Do I just... write research with no particular end in mind? 

The GRE thing is my big goal this year, though it will be really nice to bang out some research that demonstrates I have an idea of what's what.

Well I found an internship at a think tank, and while I did not include it on my SOP because I had other more relevant research experiences, I AM getting a paper ready, and hopefully submitted to Energy Policy. So try looking for positions at think tanks perhaps?

To the person who just posted the Brandeis admission and said this: "This is a repeat of the previous post but I forgot to add: was accepted but will apply elsewhere." -- Did you mean you will choose a different offer? Also, if you wouldn't mind, what subfield are you!?

Edit: Please private message me if you don't want to post directly on the thread! Thanks so much in advance!

Edited by IR IR IR PhD

Write research for the reason academics write research: to present and publish it.

Write research for the reason academics write research: to present and publish it.

Now, the dumb questions: How do you maneuver that without connections to academic institutions? Without affiliation to a university, what stigma is attached to your work? Can you get in to present at a conference with it? I'm long past presenting at things like NCUR, and without graduate student status, how likely is it that I can compete with current students/PhD-holding researchers to present research? I'm not even thinking much of publication, that seems like a difficult wish to grant unless it's co-authored with someone else.