Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

I can't speak to internships at a think tank, but IMO I don't think they matter much for PhD programs.

If you can get your research published at a peer review journal it could only help.

Also, cupofnimbus, you could try asking some professors if they need assistants on their projects. That could also give you some extra research experience and perhaps a co-authored publication.

Dear boys, my first post

I still havent heard from Harvard, Georgetown & Oxford, had my Wyoming interview yesterday.....any guesses ?

Well, after so long dreaming about getting into Harvard, I didn't, ha.

I'm still waiting for some decisions, but I'm almost certain my cycle is gonna end up with only one admision and eight rejections.

I came to a conclusion it can help..

I'm so grateful about that only admission I actually wouldnt even cry about not getting into my dream school, or any other. But I wouldn't have even received that one admission if I wasn't so focused on trying to get into my first choice.   

So, to all of you who are thinking about re-applying next cycle, my best advice is you keep aiming to your first choice, while considering other universities you think are good fits for you even if they are not in the top 10 or 20. 

Best of luck to you all!

Saw someone posted a recent decision from Duke. Anyone else get anything from them? 

Someone just posted on the results page that the Graduate assistant from Duke said rejections are coming. Can anyone confirm?

Someone just posted on the results page that the Graduate assistant from Duke said rejections are coming. Can anyone confirm?

I contacted Fonda Anthony, Duke's graduate program coordinator, who confirmed that "Our admissions committee met several times to review and select the candidates to whom they wanted to offer admission and those candidates have been notified.  The decline letters will be sent soon."

HIGH FIVE. Um, sort of. We'll be in it together, at least ;)

I'll be right there with you. Just got my last rejection. 

There's a 99% chance I'll be joining you guys next year as well (unless I luck out a 1 in a 100 scholarship at Cambridge). As depressing as it is, it gives me a real boost to see all of the people this year who got great acceptances on their 2nd/3rd cycles. 

Sorry to hear that things didn't really work out for you guys either! *sort-of-high-five cupofnimbus* If anything though, there will be at least some familiar faces next year then! Although to be honest, as of this moment, I'm not entirely sure whether I should go for round two in the 2014-2015 cycle (which if we think about it, will start in about half a year. Scary thought!), or if it would be beneficial to take an extra year, really think about what I want to do research interest-wise, and (hopefully) improve the strength of my application in the meantime...

Sleeping on it for a couple days might help in terms of getting perspective. And obviously I don't have anything explicit to contribute to the Profiles/SOPs thread, considering that this cycle didn't pan out for me, but maybe I'll note a couple of things I've learned along the way, mistakes made, that sort of thing. 

Cambridge would be fantastic, NYCBluenose! Who knows, maybe you will get that scholarship! Is it a Master's or a PhD/DPhil?

Edited by veritaserum

Sorry to hear that things didn't really work out for you guys either! *sort-of-high-five cupofnimbus* If anything though, there will be at least some familiar faces next year then! Although to be honest, as of this moment, I'm not entirely sure whether I should go for round two in the 2014-2015 cycle (which if we think about it, will start in about half a year. Scary thought!), or if it would be beneficial to take an extra year, really think about what I want to do research interest-wise, and (hopefully) improve the strength of my application in the meantime...

Sleeping on it for a couple days might help in terms of getting perspective. And obviously I don't have anything explicit to contribute to the Profiles/SOPs thread, considering that this cycle didn't pan out for me, but maybe I'll note a couple of things I've learned along the way, mistakes made, that sort of thing. 

Cambridge would be fantastic, NYCBluenose! Who knows, maybe you will get that scholarship! Is it a Master's or a PhD/DPhil?

It's for a PhD. I missed the boat on the main chunk of scholarships for Americans though, so I applied for scholarships where there are literally a handful of recipients among all the applicants. So it's a bit of a longshot; the tuition is atrociously expensive and there's no stipend/RA, TAship money so you can't really do it without some kind of funding.  

It's for a PhD. I missed the boat on the main chunk of scholarships for Americans though, so I applied for scholarships where there are literally a handful of recipients among all the applicants. So it's a bit of a longshot; the tuition is atrociously expensive and there's no stipend/RA, TAship money so you can't really do it without some kind of funding.  

This is what's keeping me from applying to the War Studies PhD at Kings College London--funding isn't there, and I'm not sure my time isn't better spent on doing other things with my application (studying and retaking GRE, etc). 

I think taking a little time at this point will be good for all of us. Get this cycle out of the system, even if preparing for the next one. I'm not going to start rewriting my SOP tomorrow, but I can start making connections in the next couple of months with POIs (because that's one thing I didn't do this time, out of concern for their schedule). But for now, take a few days, or a few weeks, clear out your head, and get in the right place so you know what it is going to be right for you :)

Why is it taking Harvard and JHU to send out rejections? Aren't they done accepting already? And also, why do many get emailed by POIs regarding rejections and none of mine have sent any personal notes...? Just wondering.

Why is it taking Harvard and JHU to send out rejections? Aren't they done accepting already? And also, why do many get emailed by POIs regarding rejections and none of mine have sent any personal notes...? Just wondering.

Those who get emails re: rejections usually initiate the discussion themselves. I would encourage you to contact the graduate coordinator at both programs if you're eager for status updates.

Those who get emails re: rejections usually initiate the discussion themselves. I would encourage you to contact the graduate coordinator at both programs if you're eager for status updates.

Kepp the peece its still on......................................

The Reading and Decision Process - Post 10

Posted: 06 Mar 2014 09:01 PM PST

We do not use a matrix to determine admission decisions at HKS, but this time of year I feel like I live in a matrix. Similar to the Matrix movie, codes cascade by my eyes daily and manipulating Excel spreadsheets makes me feel like I am living in a different reality. If you were to stare into my eyes you might see something like the following:

=D5+D6 =E5+E6 =F5+F6 =G5+G6 =H5+H6 =I5+I6 =J5+J6 =D4/D3 =E4/E3 =F4/F3 =G4/G3 =H4/H3 =I4/I3 =J4/J3 =D5/D4 =E5/E4 =F5/F4 =G5/G4 =H5/H4 =I5/I4 =J5/J4 =E6/D8 =F6/E8 =G6/F8 =H6/G8 =I6/H8 =J6/I8  =G46*E45 =I45*G46 =J45*G46 =SUM(H46:H47) =SUM(I46:I47) =SUM(J46:J47) =(I9+H9+G9)/3 =(I10+H10+G10)/3 =(I11+H11+G11)/3 =E45*C46 =I8*C47 =SUM(E46:E47)

Finalizing a class is a torturous task. We have a lot of historical data and we can make projections, but each year is different and each applicant pool is different. This time of year I spend a lot of time staring at formulas, coloring cells, calculating estimated yields, averaging, counting, dividing, summing, and contemplating. I know I am engaged in serious work because I have caused Excel to freeze multiple times in the past week. Thanks to a bad experience in high school when I lost a paper on my first computer (a PCJr) when it froze, I compulsively hit Ctrl-S on my keyboard. 

Admission is not an exact science. In a laboratory you can control for different factors, but in admissions many factors are completely out of my control. I am certainly not an artist, but I do feel like there is an art to enrollment planning. It is not art that I engage in single-handedly, but I hold primary responsibility for putting the projection models together to help lead discussions.

I know all those who have applied are waiting anxiously for a decision, and I am anxious to get all of the decisions out. The process is more like an art than a science so I cannot publish particular dates. Thank you for your patience and please, don’t stare at your email account too long waiting for an email regarding your decision - turn away often and examine other things. Easy for me to say I know.

Edited by Gurkha

Thanks for the reply. Will do that in a bit then.

Finally heard from George Mason (Public Policy). In with full funding =) 

I didn't even know SPP did full funding for PhD students! 

Edited: Also, duh, huge congratulations!

Edited by cupofnimbus

Is it a good sign (for me)  if several people have already been rejected from a program over the past few weeks as the April Deadline approaches? There has got to be a reason why others have been rejected over a month ago, yet I have received no word. I constantly check the tracking systems as well. 

Could I presume, that I am on a waiting list? Again, since some rejections have already been sent.

It seems like I am one of the few people that has received very few decisions, 50%, or 3 of 6.

1 of 3 acceptances from those decisions.