Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are about American Uni's program. Only place I have been accepted so far, just waiting on others at this point.

All of us will have to work our butts off, but that's the masochistic career track we're signing up for. We all have a pretty good idea what we're getting ourselves into. (Or do we?: http://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/2014/mar/06/mental-health-academics-growing-problem-pressure-university)

Thats one depressing article. Its becoming way tougher to make a career in academia so I think it is always best to have a backup plan at least. Currently, I am trying to figure out mine but so far I really dont want to do anything else!

Thats one depressing article. Its becoming way tougher to make a career in academia so I think it is always best to have a backup plan at least. Currently, I am trying to figure out mine but so far I really dont want to do anything else!

I do have a couple of back-up plans, though none I can imagine doing forever the way I can academia. I would probably try a policy career (think tank work) next. Doing consulting for a couple years, and then working for a company in their China/East Asia division would also be possible, and something I could enjoy, I think.

I feel better now, one guy send me a message here in order to help. I'll try to do my best.

5-th reject. If i won't be admitted - i will kill myself. I don't have future - then i don't have a reason to live

Oh my god. I entertained those thoughts too. I am desperate to leave my Fascist country and this was the best way and now my options are narrowing down. Seriously, if I am forced to live here I will kill myself. If there's no way out, I refuse to live this unhappy life anymore. I'm not saying this in a bad way, but quality of life is more important. And if I have no hope of ever being happy, which will only happen if I leave here, I need to make plans to end my life. I researched whether Oregon allows assisted suicide for foreigners a few days ago. No definite answer on it yet.

Anyway, I don't know you personally and I'm not going to condescend to you with the "it's always going to be better blah blah blather blather pink daisies and puppies" nonsense. I know sometimes some people live lives where it isn't going to better, where there are no other choices because that's the structure of the system we live in. So I'm not gonna say there's always another way, cos I know first hand there isn't always.

But there might be. Think about it some more. Give it some time. Come up from the pain of rejection and think about all this again in a few weeks time and see if u feel the same way.

Good luck.

My impression is that the NYU MA program is not a great stepping stone to PhD programs, for the reason I spell out below. Others should feel free to correct me on this issue, and of course my comments here should not influence your choices unduly.

Based on what I know about the MA program, it is not staffed by the faculty from the PhD program, and courses are offered separately. See, for example, this list: http://politics.as.nyu.edu/object/ma.scheduleFall2014 of courses for Fall 2014. None of the folks teaching MA only courses, except Cohen, are regular faculty. Other courses are open to MA students only by permission, and many of the PhD courses are not even listed here as options for MA students. Students in this program won't interact much with the NYU Politics faculty, won't get letters from them for re-applying, and won't get NYU training.

All that said, NYU may be the best option for you. But I wanted to put my impressions forward in the interest of starting a conversation that might help you and others make a more informed decision about the program.

Right, I see that. Man, I keep re-reading this thread () and trying to decide if I should spend next cycle going for a policy-oriented master's and then trying for a Ph.D. At least in that case, I'd be paying the same as the NYU program, seemingly have the same level of contact with faculty from a Poli Sci Dept (nearly none), and have a professional degree to fall back on if I don't make it into a doctorate program again the next available cycle. Edited by AnotherGradHopeful

Anyone know anything about if/when Pitt might contact waitlisters? Any other Pitt waitlist people here been in contact with the department at all? 

Who has been contacted by BU?

I wasn't contacted by BU either! One of the others told me a couple days ago that admissions and rejections had already been released, and that those of us who weren't already contacted are waitlisted.

Who knows. 

School: Not Your Top Choice, Evidently

Degree: Political Science (None, or Any Other, For That Matter), PhD (F14)

Note: "Could you all just STOP posting those hideous messages like "Already admitted at a better ranked school" or "already admitted will full funding to a better one"? WHO CARES!? Just please be respectful with the rest of us here trying not to freak out as we figure out what to do with our lives. Go cry to your mom about how she lied to you saying everybody loves you or get over it.rnThank you." RESULTS PAGE POSTER

...Someone be spamming and jelly.

Edited by sylark

...Someone be spamming and jelly.

I wrote it, and I promise it was not spamming and jelly as I've already confirmed my spot at one particular program. 

It has nothing to do with anything else but the fact that those messages are extemely disrespectful to any of the other users at GC that are waiting on their notifications, or even those who didn't get in at all.

I meant everything I wrote and I would write it again. People should care a little bit more about the other ones in the same situation and not just let their egos write.

Post something here next time. Spamming in the results, meaning not reporting a result and making complaints,which doesn't help other students in the future. 

So, the message, if presented in this thread, is fine. 

Edited by sylark

Post something here next time. Spamming in the results, that is not reporting a result and making complaints, doesn't help other students in the future. 

So, the message, if presented in this thread, is fine. 

I posted it there 'cause I'm not sure every single person is actually following this thread at the same time.

However, you've already posted it for me now and I've stated that I was the one who wrote it so, there you have my complain about egotistic attitudes at the results survey. 

I wrote it, and I promise it was not spamming and jelly as I've already confirmed my spot at one particular program. 

It has nothing to do with anything else but the fact that those messages are extemely disrespectful to any of the other users at GC that are waiting on their notifications, or even those who didn't get in at all.

I meant everything I wrote and I would write it again. People should care a little bit more about the other ones in the same situation and not just let their egos write.

I get it. Every time I see posts like that, I try to think that people are probably stinging from the rejection and trying to rationalize their feelings and confusion about the process. 

But I definitely get that it stings when someone puts down a program that someone else might be really excited about, and it's not a very nice thing to say.

(The process is starting to get to everyone, I think.)

I get it. Every time I see posts like that, I try to think that people are probably stinging from the rejection and trying to rationalize their feelings and confusion about the process. 

But I definitely get that it stings when someone puts down a program that someone else might be really excited about, and it's not a very nice thing to say.

(The process is starting to get to everyone, I think.)

I do think that way too, and I'm really not that concerned about results themselves 'cause my cycle is pretty much over and I'm happy with it. But I keep reading these messages and I just couldn't take it any more. Many are worried and anxious about their particular situation, and other ones just don't care at all, and it's a horrible thing. Maybe, I have not been diplomatic with my message, but I don't think a little empathy is too much to ask. 

Edited by tinkerbell

Maybe, I have not been diplomatic with my message, but I don't think a little empathy is too much to ask. 

Hey, it's way more diplomatic than a wide majority of internet content! And I think you're right, which I didn't communicate very well! 

Congrats on your outcomes this cycle!

My impression is that the NYU MA program is not a great stepping stone to PhD programs, for the reason I spell out below. Others should feel free to correct me on this issue, and of course my comments here should not influence your choices unduly.

Based on what I know about the MA program, it is not staffed by the faculty from the PhD program, and courses are offered separately. See, for example, this list: http://politics.as.nyu.edu/object/ma.scheduleFall2014 of courses for Fall 2014. None of the folks teaching MA only courses, except Cohen, are regular faculty. Other courses are open to MA students only by permission, and many of the PhD courses are not even listed here as options for MA students. Students in this program won't interact much with the NYU Politics faculty, won't get letters from them for re-applying, and won't get NYU training.

All that said, NYU may be the best option for you. But I wanted to put my impressions forward in the interest of starting a conversation that might help you and others make a more informed decision about the program.

I am a master's student at NYU. My experience is that most of the things you have said are right:

- MA program is not staffed by the faculty from the PhD program.

- Courses are offered separately and most of them are more policy-oriented courses than academic-oriented.

- Admission to PhD courses is not granted at all (I know some experiences of professors rejecting MA students from their classes).

Therefore, do not expect the MA at NYU to be an easy way to a high-ranked PhD program. In fact, if you go to the program, take all the classes from the MA program itself, have no contact with full-time faculty and no publications at all, then it is absolutely out of the world of the possibilities to get into a top25 program when you finish the program. 

However... when you get into the dep. of politics at NYU, it is all in your hands. The MA program is not staffed by the faculty from the PhD program, courses are offered separately and admission is not granted, but:

- Access to PhD courses in the MA courses list is very possible if you show certain academic or research background or just an interest in the topic and so convincing PhD professors that you can take the course is not very hard.

- Access to PhD courses not listed as optional for MA students is not impossible either. It is always up to the professor so there are chances that you can convince the professor that you are good enough to take the course and he/she can let you in.

- Access to courses outside the department at MA / PhD level is totally feasible. For instance, you can take any of these courses to improve your methods courses and research training http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/humsocsci/interdepartmental. They are open to all graduate students at NYU.

In this line, it is not very unusual to have LOR's from NYU full-time faculty after the MA, which will improve your chances of admission for a PhD. But, again, this is an easy path, but you have to work hard and choose the right courses.

I don't have sufficient information to provide you with a full list of destinations after the MA, but I know there are some people that were accepted into top10 and top25 PhD programs (including NYU itself) [you can see my list of acceptances to have an idea, although let me warn you that there has been people doing slightly better than me and many more people doing much worse]. 

Hope it helps! With this I don't mean you should get into debt (I would personally not do it), but just give more info about the pros and cons of the MA at NYU.

I am a master's student at NYU. My experience is that most of the things you have said are right:

- Courses are offered separately and most of them are more policy-oriented courses than academic-oriented.

- Admission to PhD courses is not granted at all (I know some experiences of professors rejecting MA students from their classes).

Therefore, do not expect the MA at NYU to be an easy way to a high-ranked PhD program. In fact, if you go to the program, take all the classes from the MA program itself, have no contact with full-time faculty and no publications at all, then it is absolutely out of the world of the possibilities to get into a top25 program when you finish the program. 

However... when you get into the dep. of politics at NYU, it is all in your hands. The MA program is not staffed by the faculty from the PhD program, courses are offered separately and admission is not granted, but:

- Access to PhD courses in the MA courses list is very possible if you show certain academic or research background or just an interest in the topic and so convincing PhD professors that you can take the course is not very hard.

- Access to PhD courses not listed as optional for MA students is not impossible either. It is always up to the professor so there are chances that you can convince the professor that you are good enough to take the course and he/she can let you in.

- Access to courses outside the department at MA / PhD level is totally feasible. For instance, you can take any of these courses to improve your methods courses and research training http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/humsocsci/interdepartmental. They are open to all graduate students at NYU.

In this line, it is not very unusual to have LOR's from NYU full-time faculty after the MA, which will improve your chances of admission for a PhD. But, again, this is an easy path, but you have to work hard and choose the right courses.

I don't have sufficient information to provide you with a full list of destinations after the MA, but I know there are some people that were accepted into top10 and top25 PhD programs (including NYU itself) [you can see my list of acceptances to have an idea, although let me warn you that there has been people doing slightly better than me and many more people doing much worse]. 

Hope it helps! With this I don't mean you should get into debt (I would personally not do it), but just give more info about the pros and cons of the MA at NYU.

This is a great post. Thanks for providing a fuller picture to complement my impressionistic sense of things. I would add that this advice applies much more broadly than just at NYU. The payoffs of an MA in applying to PhD programs depend largely on how you use it.

Sad to see the forum has died down a bit :) ... I'm still here waiting on Pittsburgh to admit me off the waitlist. I think I'd sell my left foot to get into the program =D Slowly going crazy. 

Thank you very much for your insight! I am consdering an offer to the NYU MA program, so your post helps me get a clearer picture of what to expect.

Sad to see the forum has died down a bit :) ... I'm still here waiting on Pittsburgh to admit me off the waitlist. I think I'd sell my left foot to get into the program =D Slowly going crazy. 

Good luck, I went to a great graduate recruitment day at GSPIA (they have their own PhD program - but I've never looked into it) a few years back. Perhaps as a slightly homesick undergrad meeting faculty who had taught at my home university and finding the university crest in the Scottish room probably swayed my opinions a bit ;)

I do really like Pittsburgh and they've got some good academics. Although they truly seemed football mad..

Good luck and I really hope you get off the waitlist. 

Edited by RLemkin

Good luck, I went to a great graduate recruitment day at GSPIA (they have their own PhD program - but I've never looked into it) a few years back. Perhaps as a slightly homesick undergrad meeting faculty who had taught at my home university and finding the university crest in the Scottish room probably swayed my opinions a bit ;)

I do really like Pittsburgh and they've got some good academics. Although they truly seemed football mad..

Good luck and I really hope you get off the waitlist. 

Thanks! 

Yeah, they're program is incredible. Pretty much perfect for my interests as well. Not to mention I already live close-by, so I wouldn't have a big cross-country move ahead of me. Hoping to hear from them soon! I can't stand all this waiting.