Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

^ What's your interests?

I'll be applying for Pittsburgh next year because they have three solid profs who do work in comparative politics in Latin America. 

I'm a Europeanist with a subject focus in political economy/monetary affairs.

Last rejection from Maryland came this morning. No surprises, but that closes out my cycle. Can't say I'll totally disappear, since I'm already planning for next cycle, but I'll be taking a couple of weeks to rest off the emotions from this one. Huge, huge congratulations to everyone with good news this time around, and best of luck in the fall! And thank you to all of you, for being such a great support group during this process.

Really? This forum died very quickly! Everyone has already made their decisions? Nothing else to talk about?

For me personally, I'm interested if anyone (especially IR) was accepted into Maryland or Brandeis and will be declining. Thanks in advance for sharing!

Really? This forum died very quickly! Everyone has already made their decisions? Nothing else to talk about?

For me personally, I'm interested if anyone (especially IR) was accepted into Maryland or Brandeis and will be declining. Thanks in advance for sharing!

I'm still waiting for BU and SAIS JHU but I'll probably just accept my (only) admission to UMD (I'm sorry I can't give you better news, but I hope someone else declines so you can come too!)

Still waiting as well. On the waitlist for Maryland. Theory. And Brown. 

Email or call them and they'll let you know. Check the website first and see if they've posted your status there. What subfield are you?

Thanks.  I'm comparative.  There is nothing on my ASF, so I'll contact them.

Best of luck on the wait lists!  How were you notified by Maryland?

Just call them. I don't know about UMD, but Brown said that those not notified till now are waitlisted. If anyone is not going to Brown, do let them know soon. I know it feels empowering to have many acceptances at hand, but you will be going only to one, so please let them know. 

Now that most of us have gotten most responses, I am wondering what the long-term perspectives are/what long-term perspectives are out there etc. So, what's your ideal outcome, what would you consider a realistic outcome, what would make you turn away from academia, stuff like this?

Since I'm not from the US, I am not at all/very familiar with the US system (I did not know what TT was before this cycle, e.g.). I understand schools are classified into R-1s and Other, with sub-classifications? There's also (selective) liberal arts colleges and community colleges, where the teaching load would be higher, but research output expectations would be lower?

I'll chime in at a later point, since I'm not quite sure of that yet, and am still reading up on the US system, and also what options there are globally ;-).

Any news on BU and UVA?

Seems a huge amount of people are waiting for BU, including me, which tells you about the size of their "waiting list".

I think it would be more accurate to call that "the list of people we will reject later."

Now that most of us have gotten most responses, I am wondering what the long-term perspectives are/what long-term perspectives are out there etc. So, what's your ideal outcome, what would you consider a realistic outcome, what would make you turn away from academia, stuff like this?

Since I'm not from the US, I am not at all/very familiar with the US system (I did not know what TT was before this cycle, e.g.). I understand schools are classified into R-1s and Other, with sub-classifications? There's also (selective) liberal arts colleges and community colleges, where the teaching load would be higher, but research output expectations would be lower?

I'll chime in at a later point, since I'm not quite sure of that yet, and am still reading up on the US system, and also what options there are globally ;-).

TT R1! But any job will do. In a nice area.