Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

So to give myself something to do, I decided to peruse the 2014-2015 orientation manual and thought MozartGirl might be interested to see this quote about receiving other funding.

"Please note that the grant does not provide more than a minimal allowance for books and research. If you have a project that requires extensive research materials or equipment, you should obtain funding from other sources for this purpose."

@mozartgirl, I'm sure you've seen this by now, but I thought it good to share again

So to give myself something to do, I decided to peruse the 2014-2015 orientation manual and thought MozartGirl might be interested to see this quote about receiving other funding.

"Please note that the grant does not provide more than a minimal allowance for books and research. If you have a project that requires extensive research materials or equipment, you should obtain funding from other sources for this purpose."

@mozartgirl, I'm sure you've seen this by now, but I thought it good to share again

Thanks Rachelrushing!  Actually I had not seen that yet, so I really appreciate you bringing it to my attention. Next week I'm going to do a major scholarship search and see what turns up. I'm also thinking of trying to raise some angel money privately, such as GoFundMe or one of those...they charge a LOT for their services, so I need to compare them all carefully.  This fall I am going to apply for dissertation fellowships, so that hopefully when I return from Zambia I can take a year to write my dissertation without having to support myself with GA work. Anyone else looking into this?

Another day gone by... it wasn't Central Asia's day...  

3195.gif

Boooo!  We need tomorrow to be a BIG DAY FOR NOTIFICATIONS!!!  Central Asia, Venezuela, Eurasia... who else?

They encourage you to have your own health insurance, as the health & accident benfits they offer is not the same as "health insurance":

The U.S. Department of State has established health and accident benefits for all Fulbright Fellows. The Accident and Sickness Program for Exchanges (ASPE) is a basic policy and as stated in the U.S. Fellows Orientation Handbook, it is not a substitute for your private health benefits coverage. It is not intended to cover long-term health care and has limitations in coverage. For this reason, you are encouraged to maintain your current policy or to obtain comprehensive health insurance coverage to offset the cost of major medical contingencies that may occur when you are abroad, to cover you if you travel outside of the host country, and/or to provide you with immediate coverage when you return to the U.S.

Here is the link for this information: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/current-fulbrighters/health-benefits-summary

Good quote, Huma! The accident & sickness insurance provided by the Department of State just covers you getting sick or in an accident while you are away. If you get sick, you have to pay out of pocket and then they reimburse you, so I would advise everyone to have several hundred dollars set aside just in case. If there's an accident they cover costs, but I'm not sure if that is a reimbursement program or not. They also provide if you need to be airlifted out of the country for medical reasons; I would guess that applies more to so-called third world countries. They DON'T provide wellness care of the following of any chronic conditions. They don't cover prescription medications. I think it was back around page 178 or thereabouts that there was a discussion of travel insurance. I went with HTH before and had no problem getting reimbursed for the doctor visit when I did indeed get sick. But that's just one experience. I think some people said GeoBlue was also good. If you google "travel health insurance" you'll get millions of results.

NS :(

It's ok, it happens. At least I tried and got this far. I am a strong believer that everything happens for a reason, and maybe it's just not the right time for me to be moving abroad again right now. I had been moving around to different countries for the last two years and a tiny part of me wasn't completely ready to move again right now. I just started a new job in January and kinda wanted to stay here for a while before I move abroad again. 

Anyway, I'll probably be reapplying this coming cycle and apply for grad school as well. Olioliwoo, I think I'll join you and start the application process again now.

CONGRATS to everyone selected!!!  

Hina, you must be a beautiful person; I picture you as having an old soul, a gentle soul. I'm so sorry you got the (NS). But I love your attitude! Sometimes it's great to just stay put for a time and it sounds like that is what's right for you right now. What kind of grad schools are you looking at? I'm glad you're going to apply again next cycle! I'll be rooting for you all the way!

Has anyone received more information yet? Or know about when that happens? My email pretty much just told me I was accepted and that I'd hear from another group of people later about specific dates and so forth. I'm dying to tell my job what my last day will be. (It's from 11pm-7am proofreading financial documents in a windowless office. It's about as sexy and stimulating as it sounds.)

Congrats on your (A) to (P)!  That is so great! Your job sounds horrible, lol.  The things we do to finance our educations...  Hang in there a little while longer!

Thank you so much for giving all of this information. It is really good to be informed even after finding out our statuses. I know several people with really cool project ideas who are applying next year and will make sure to pass on some of this stuff. 

Even though we've all been complaining about how late notifications have been this year, it is pretty amazing to think about this program. So much work goes into it every year! It is actually a huge accomplishment that so many more things don't go wrong considering all of the coordination between various US government agencies as well as with all of the other embassies. 

Thanks for reminding us of this GnosisExchange. I can't fathom all the pieces that need to fall into place for Fulbright to happen every year and in more than 155 countries! The regional managers and everyone associated with Fulbright do extraordinary things to make this all work! And we all know this year is different. The government shutdown, the sequester, situations in Crimea, Ukraine, Russia and other world hot spots-- this year is unlike previous years. And yet, they continue to carry on. I think we're pretty lucky there even is a Fulbright Program this year!

Raymondnorth:

"Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that I too was rooting for you, and will continue to do so for 2015-16.  I'm gonna back off from Fulbright for a few years while I get my feet set at Indiana, but I should be ready to go back to the drawing boards for 2016-17.

Best wishes, stay strong everyone."

Hey Raymondnorth, sounds like you've been through it. I'm so sorry about your friend. I lost someone a few months ago, the woman who ran the little coffee bistro in our building at school. One day she had a cold; a few days later her sister took her to the ER, and she died that night--pneumonia. Margie was such a wonderful, caring person-- she & her husband both went to Gonzaga and their three sons are there now. It's hard to fathom that someone can be fine one day and dead the next, especially here in the U.S. The school changed the name of the bistro to "Margie's Cafe."  That was nice.

It sounds like you have a great set-up at Indiana! In a couple of years, I bet you'll have a new insight and perspective when you apply again. And I wish you all the luck in the world!  :-)

Alternate. Sigh. I suppose I was kind of expecting this. I'm going to keep hope alive, but I'm also going to start the job hunt. There are only two people chosen for Bosnia, I'm not too confident that I'll get bumped up. 

Edit: Also, the subject line had (A) in it. 

Edited by sirskipsalot

(A) to Croatia for Full grant.

I'm trying to adopt the mindset that I really got NS so that I can move on with my life. However, it's going to be in the back of my mind that I'm still in limbo. For those of you whose A turned to a P, how long was the wait between hearing each decision?

Edited by Rachelrushing

I'm on pins and needles waiting too! It's terrible...what's worse is I'm drinking a Malbec to drown the anxiety--a wine native to Argentina. Ohhhh the irony!

Are other folks still waiting to hear on Argentina ETAs? I applied three years ago and was an alternate, and I'm pretty sure I found out about that before May--seems much later this year.

Yes I am still waiting on Argentina ETA too! For some reason the notifications this year seem much later than usual. I have been anxiously waiting and hoping to hear every day since about mid March.   

I emailed Susan Muendl two weeks ago today and she replied:

Notifications will be made within the next few weeks.

Thank you for your patience.

Hopefully we hear soon!!!

I'm trying to adopt the mindset that I really got NS so that I can move on with my life. However, it's going to be in the back of my mind that I'm still in limbo. For those of you whose A turned to a P, how long was the wait between hearing each decision?

I'm thinking about it the same way. While I can keep hoping and praying, it does me no good to keep putting other things on hold. If I think of it as an NS, then it'll be an extra little gift if/when I turn to P. 

And based on the email, I'm holding out for a month before I really move on.

Based on past spreadsheets, it usually is within 1-3 months.

NS for Tajikistan full research. The subject line did not include any letters, just "Fulbright U.S. Student Program Notification."

Well,  that makes my summer a lot less busy... I am incredibly sad,  but I have prepared myself for it. Now to rearrange plans, change proposals, etc. Ugh I don't want to give the news to my professors and family... they were really excited for me when I got recommended.

It was great to be a part of this community forum. Good luck to those who are still waiting to hear results, and for the alternates!

Edited by Huma

NS for Tajikistan full research. The subject line did not include any letters, just "Fulbright U.S. Student Program Notification."

Well, that makes my summer a lot less busy... I am incredibly sad, but I have prepared myself for it. Now to rearrange plans, change proposals, etc. Ugh I don't want to give the news to my professors and family... they were really excited for me when I got recommended.

It was great to be a part of this community forum. Good luck to those who are still waiting to hear results, and for the alternates!

Huma, I was hoping I could share my excitement with you. I am extremely upset that you were not selected. This may sound odd, but I did envision meeting you, as you were the only other forum member waiting on Tajikistan. This sadness shall pass. There are certainly greater things in the works for you. Kismet is not to be doubted.

Sincere good luck with all the rest.

Huma, I was hoping I could share my excitement with you. I am extremely upset that you were not selected. This may sound odd, but I did envision meeting you, as you were the only other forum member waiting on Tajikistan. This sadness shall pass. There are certainly greater things in the works for you. Kismet is not to be doubted.

Sincere good luck with all the rest.

TeraFirma,

Thank you so much for your kind words and wishes. I was also happy to see you here in the forum, and also envisioned meeting you in Tajikistan!  I am slowly and sadly letting people know about the NS, I dislike that it's not just my disappointment but also my friends', family's, and professors'. I have not yet informed my affiliate in Tajikistan, nor my former host families in Tajikistan (they will be as heartbroken as I am, I miss them so much).

I am VERY happy for you - have you been to Tajikistan before? You will love it! If you would like any advice on living there, let me know. Congratulations!

Edited by Huma

Alternate. Sigh. I suppose I was kind of expecting this. I'm going to keep hope alive, but I'm also going to start the job hunt. There are only two people chosen for Bosnia, I'm not too confident that I'll get bumped up. 

Edit: Also, the subject line had (A) in it. 

Awwww shoot! sirskipsalot, I'm so sorry! I was really hoping you'd get it. I am guessing right now you feel like you've been punched in the gut; I've been there before and so has just about everybody in this forum. I know this may sound trite, but I truly think when we stumble (and we all do!) it is how you get back up that shows your true inner character. I have a feeling you have a ton of character, just by what you revealed in your post, quoted above. Know that it's OK to be sad, mad, anxious, whatever... don't be afraid to sit with those feelings and actually feel them. And I think starting the job search will be therapeutic for you. While I am 100% pulling for your (A) to turn into a (P), I also think moving ahead with other plans is wise. I'm just really bummed for you, because you've definitely got "the right stuff."  :-)