Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

(A) to Croatia for Full grant.

I'm trying to adopt the mindset that I really got NS so that I can move on with my life. However, it's going to be in the back of my mind that I'm still in limbo. For those of you whose A turned to a P, how long was the wait between hearing each decision?

Noooooooooooooo!  Oh Rachelrushing!!  I'm so very sorry!  I'm hoping with all fingers and all toes crossed, sirskipsalot and Rachelrushing, that both of you end up going!  People do change their minds, and things come up too. Fulbright would not keep an alternate list if there were never a need for it.  So here's hoping a couple of people get fabulous job offers and can't go! 

Rachelrushing, you are a good person. Please remember it's not a rejection of YOU, it's just that they can't fund everyone's projects. But I know, whatever you decide to do in the future, you will be great!  :-)

NS for Tajikistan full research. The subject line did not include any letters, just "Fulbright U.S. Student Program Notification."

Well,  that makes my summer a lot less busy... I am incredibly sad,  but I have prepared myself for it. Now to rearrange plans, change proposals, etc. Ugh I don't want to give the news to my professors and family... they were really excited for me when I got recommended.

It was great to be a part of this community forum. Good luck to those who are still waiting to hear results, and for the alternates!

HUMA! NO! Oh rats.  I'm sorry you didn't get it.  :-(   Fulbright will shine a little less brightly for you not being a part of it this year.  I do understand, "I am incredibly sad." -- I get that. And I understand how hard it is to tell a bunch of people bad news when they are all rooting for you. However, they will rise to the occasion and embrace you. Don't be afraid to talk about it; don't be afraid to feel those sad feelings. It sounds like you already have a plan B, which is great! I very much hope you get to go to Tajikistan at some point, because your project is great and the women would really benefit. Good luck whichever direction you decide to go--- you'll be fabulous, I promise!

HUMA! NO! Oh rats.  I'm sorry you didn't get it.  :-(   Fulbright will shine a little less brightly for you not being a part of it this year.  I do understand, "I am incredibly sad." -- I get that. And I understand how hard it is to tell a bunch of people bad news when they are all rooting for you. However, they will rise to the occasion and embrace you. Don't be afraid to talk about it; don't be afraid to feel those sad feelings. It sounds like you already have a plan B, which is great! I very much hope you get to go to Tajikistan at some point, because your project is great and the women would really benefit. Good luck whichever direction you decide to go--- you'll be fabulous, I promise!

Thanks Mozartgirl! You are so sweet and supportive.

Yeah I've been thinking of some Plan Bs and Cs but didn't want to do too much prep on them, knowing I might get the Fulbright (and having to prep for that)... at least now I know the results, and can move forward in another direction.

I've been to Tajikistan before, which is one of the reasons I am so sad... I miss it so much! I had promised my friends and host families that I would return.

I can't be breaking my promises now, can I.... I'll just have to return another way / time. :-)   I am persistent, if anything.

Alternate. Sigh. I suppose I was kind of expecting this. I'm going to keep hope alive, but I'm also going to start the job hunt. There are only two people chosen for Bosnia, I'm not too confident that I'll get bumped up. 

Edit: Also, the subject line had (A) in it. 

I'm in the same boat as you. Only two for Moldova as well :(

I'm on pins and needles waiting too! It's terrible...what's worse is I'm drinking a Malbec to drown the anxiety--a wine native to Argentina. Ohhhh the irony!

LOL!  Go Argentina!!! Monday is your day; I can feel it!  :-)

Hey guys,

I am sorry to hear about the NSs for Central Asia and excited to hear about those who got it. I talked to Cara this week. She said that the Turkmenistan program has been canceled for this year and next. She is not sure what to do about the applicants but maybe the IIE can reallocate the Turkmen money to other Central Asian programs to place us in. I dunno. So it seems my life is up in the air for a little bit longer. ))

Would anyone be interested in starting a fulbright writing group? We could look over each others essays and offer advice?

That seems like a cool idea. Did you also post it in the 2015-16? If not, you should.

Thanks for reminding us of this GnosisExchange. I can't fathom all the pieces that need to fall into place for Fulbright to happen every year and in more than 155 countries! The regional managers and everyone associated with Fulbright do extraordinary things to make this all work! And we all know this year is different. The government shutdown, the sequester, situations in Crimea, Ukraine, Russia and other world hot spots-- this year is unlike previous years. And yet, they continue to carry on. I think we're pretty lucky there even is a Fulbright Program this year!

Thanks Mozartgirl53, I'm just trying to keep things in perspective. I feel bad for all of the people still waiting--I know it sucks, but it seems better to look at all of the things that have been going well. This year does seem to be exceptionally troublesome. Not to mention, with the budget cuts taking place for the next cycle there seems to be an added sense of urgency to get it this year for fear of even tougher competition. 

Hey all. Just chiming for those who were alternates. I got an alternate notification for a Taiwan ETA in mid-April and ended up moving up to Principal just a week later. I wanted to post about it on here earlier but there were some concerns about a language program I'm also enrolled in for the summer, and whether I could do both. As of now though, it looks like it won't be a problem. So Taiwan, here I come!

As for other Alternates, definitely keep up hope! Again, it only took a week to be moved up so it can absolutely happen. Couldn't be more excited!

Hina, you must be a beautiful person; I picture you as having an old soul, a gentle soul. I'm so sorry you got the (NS). But I love your attitude! Sometimes it's great to just stay put for a time and it sounds like that is what's right for you right now. What kind of grad schools are you looking at? I'm glad you're going to apply again next cycle! I'll be rooting for you all the way!

Thanks TeraFirma and Mozartgirl53 for your kind words. I've been feeling pretty down lately, as expected, but I know I am very blessed and lucky to have a job that I love to fall back on. 

Mozartgirl53, I'm looking at grad school for a dual degree in International Development and an MBA. Ideally, I'd want to work for an intergovernmental agency starting new programs (microfinance or the like) targeting the extreme poor in South Asia (where I'm originally from). I worked for NGOs abroad for the last few years, but am now doing more local economic development for a state agency in TX. I was hoping to get Fulbright as a way to get back into the field of microfinance and international development, but it's ok, maybe next year! :)  

Would anyone be interested in starting a fulbright writing group? We could look over each others essays and offer advice?

That's a great idea! I feel like most of my friends and family have already looked over my essays, so starting a writing group would be very helpful. Have you started it yet? 

Also, to those who are reapplying, are you keeping your topic the same and just refining your essays, or changing your topic altogether? I'm even considering changing countries at this point :/ 

Ok that's worrisome... it has been almost 2 weeks for me. Did you get an email? Who was it from?

I heard from Richard Harris - he's also who responded to confirm he received the press release form. I'd originally sent the press release form to a Ms. Murphy, but when I checked the page the contacts were different so I resent it to Mr. Harris.

I heard from Richard Harris - he's also who responded to confirm he received the press release form. I'd originally sent the press release form to a Ms. Murphy, but when I checked the page the contacts were different so I resent it to Mr. Harris.

Not to get too personal, but was your medical history pretty "clean" (for lack of a better word)?

It will be a week ago on Monday that I submitted my form, and I had to explain a few things, and the pdf wouldn't let me type in the space provided so I had to attach a page, so I am not looking for a quick reply. But if my twin brother submitted a form, it would be "No" to every single question, so I imagine his form would get approved a bit more quickly.

Is there a deadline for submitting the medical clearance form? I have finals to prepare and I haven't got time to go to the doctor until I graduate in two weeks.

Hi japaniia, from the award letter: "Please make an appoint with a physician as soon as possible; the Medical Form is due within six weeks of this date." 

Thanks TeraFirma and Mozartgirl53 for your kind words. I've been feeling pretty down lately, as expected, but I know I am very blessed and lucky to have a job that I love to fall back on. 

Mozartgirl53, I'm looking at grad school for a dual degree in International Development and an MBA. Ideally, I'd want to work for an intergovernmental agency starting new programs (microfinance or the like) targeting the extreme poor in South Asia (where I'm originally from). I worked for NGOs abroad for the last few years, but am now doing more local economic development for a state agency in TX. I was hoping to get Fulbright as a way to get back into the field of microfinance and international development, but it's ok, maybe next year! :)

Wow, Hina, that's great! Have you read "Poverty Capital" by Ananya Roy? It's an interesting perspective on Grameen Bank and microcapital. Your current job sounds very interesting, too, and I'm so glad you can do that while looking to get back into international development. And it sounds like you've found the perfect grad school! With that dual degree you will be unstoppable! It makes me so glad, speaking as the "old person" in this forum, to see so many young women advocating for women around the world who don't have a voice, or who do not know yet they can use their voice. Hina, I wish you all good things in this world, and I know you'll make it to Bangladesh soon!

Hey guys,

I am sorry to hear about the NSs for Central Asia and excited to hear about those who got it. I talked to Cara this week. She said that the Turkmenistan program has been canceled for this year and next. She is not sure what to do about the applicants but maybe the IIE can reallocate the Turkmen money to other Central Asian programs to place us in. I dunno. So it seems my life is up in the air for a little bit longer. ))

Hi Kj002, that is such a bummer! Why was it cancelled? And for two years? I hope they can place you somewhere else! Is your project something that could be carried out in another country?

Wow, Hina, that's great! Have you read "Poverty Capital" by Ananya Roy? It's an interesting perspective on Grameen Bank and microcapital. Your current job sounds very interesting, too, and I'm so glad you can do that while looking to get back into international development. And it sounds like you've found the perfect grad school! With that dual degree you will be unstoppable! It makes me so glad, speaking as the "old person" in this forum, to see so many young women advocating for women around the world who don't have a voice, or who do not know yet they can use their voice. Hina, I wish you all good things in this world, and I know you'll make it to Bangladesh soon!

Thanks!

Hey guys,

Wow. I'm sorry Kj002. I didn't even know there as anything going on in Turkmenistan for them to be considering closing the program. I wish you guys had heard about this much earlier. 

The Turkmen program has always been a little iffy, and I knew that when I filled in my application. It's often regarded as the N. Korea of Central Asia due to its lack of media freedom according to IGOs. Last year's group was accepted and then had to change everything and go to Krygyzstan. So I am lucky that they found these things out now. And on the bright side, Turkmenistan only took ETAs so theoretically I can be placed anywhere. I just wish I could go to Turkmenistan. It seems like they are closing their borders to Americans more and more these days. It would be rather unfortunate to haves another closed country in area.

The Turkmen program has always been a little iffy, and I knew that when I filled in my application. It's often regarded as the N. Korea of Central Asia due to its lack of media freedom according to IGOs. Last year's group was accepted and then had to change everything and go to Krygyzstan. So I am lucky that they found these things out now. And on the bright side, Turkmenistan only took ETAs so theoretically I can be placed anywhere. I just wish I could go to Turkmenistan. It seems like they are closing their borders to Americans more and more these days. It would be rather unfortunate to haves another closed country in area.

Kj002, I know i must suck that this is going on, but if conditions are that dangerous then it is probably for the best that the program is cancelled.

I had no idea things were so bad (the N.Korea of Central Asia, really? Wow!). If nothing else, congratulations on getting me really interested in what is going on there right now. Once I am finished with my final papers on local education reform in Cambridge, MA and race in Japanese apocalyptic narratives as represented in Attack on Titan, I am definitely researching on Turkmenistan. 

As another work week will start in just a few hours (and probably has in some of the countries still waiting), I sincerely wish everyone still waiting good luck!

Let's make May 5-May 9  a great news week!

giphy.gif