Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Has anyone received an information packet yet for their respective country? 

I got a packet with the acceptance of award forms (pretty much contracts) and with all the detailed financial stipulations and expectations (including grant dates). Is that what you mean?

Not to get too personal, but was your medical history pretty "clean" (for lack of a better word)?

It will be a week ago on Monday that I submitted my form, and I had to explain a few things, and the pdf wouldn't let me type in the space provided so I had to attach a page, so I am not looking for a quick reply. But if my twin brother submitted a form, it would be "No" to every single question, so I imagine his form would get approved a bit more quickly.

Hi Nella,

Do you (or does anyone here) know what sorts of things could be considered "problematic" on the medical form? I'm not trying to pry into your personal medical history, I'm just wondering in very general terms what kinds of things could raise a flag for them? I'm thinking like you-- I'm thinking I should write a separate cover letter explaining my medical history and also emphasizing I've been to the places I'll be staying in Zambia twice, once completely on my own, and everything was fine. Should I also write that my primary care doctor has been my doc for three years now and he fully supports my going? I'm not sick-- I have rheumatoid arthritis and I use a walker and I take meds to combat the arthritis. Do you think this could be problematic for the State Department? I would think (hope) they couldn't turn me down because I have a disability, but I feel like I should get out in front of that now?

Hey all. Just chiming for those who were alternates. I got an alternate notification for a Taiwan ETA in mid-April and ended up moving up to Principal just a week later. I wanted to post about it on here earlier but there were some concerns about a language program I'm also enrolled in for the summer, and whether I could do both. As of now though, it looks like it won't be a problem. So Taiwan, here I come!

As for other Alternates, definitely keep up hope! Again, it only took a week to be moved up so it can absolutely happen. Couldn't be more excited!

Thank you for sharing the hope :)

Hi Nella,

Do you (or does anyone here) know what sorts of things could be considered "problematic" on the medical form? I'm not trying to pry into your personal medical history, I'm just wondering in very general terms what kinds of things could raise a flag for them? I'm thinking like you-- I'm thinking I should write a separate cover letter explaining my medical history and also emphasizing I've been to the places I'll be staying in Zambia twice, once completely on my own, and everything was fine. Should I also write that my primary care doctor has been my doc for three years now and he fully supports my going? I'm not sick-- I have rheumatoid arthritis and I use a walker and I take meds to combat the arthritis. Do you think this could be problematic for the State Department? I would think (hope) they couldn't turn me down because I have a disability, but I feel like I should get out in front of that now?

I would think that if you were able to demonstrate that you were able to carry out research in Zambia before with little difficulty then it shouldn't be an issue.

Would any of the principals be able to upload or share what is on the medical form? I'm an alternate working as a schoolteacher now, and my insurance doesn't cover me during the summer (only the school year). Wondering if I should try to get some of this stuff out of the way now while I can. Ya know, just in case I get bumped up...*fingers, toes, and arms crossed!* 

Hi Nella,

My guess is that they are concerned about whether treatment would be available if needed. 

I have type I diabetes - diagnosed at age 7 - that is very well-controlled and has been for years.  The medications that I take are available in Taiwan, and if my condition worsened the medical system there is quite advanced and could certainly provide treatment.

So that was what I (and my doctor) wrote. I really didn't say anything about ability to complete the work because my impression is that the concern of the person deciding about medical clearance is whether it is medically safe for the person to be where the State Department proposes to send her.

CIubsq7.gif

Still no news...

Yeah.....

As my semester is wrapping up (NO! I'M NOT READY TO GRADUATE!), I'm becoming increasingly anxious for the people that haven't heard back yet and for alternates--especially you I really hope you get it next year if this one doesn't work out.

My guess is that they are concerned about whether treatment would be available if needed. 

I have type I diabetes - diagnosed at age 7 - that is very well-controlled and has been for years.  The medications that I take are available in Taiwan, and if my condition worsened the medical system there is quite advanced and could certainly provide treatment.

So that was what I (and my doctor) wrote. I really didn't say anything about ability to complete the work because my impression is that the concern of the person deciding about medical clearance is whether it is medically safe for the person to be where the State Department proposes to send her.

I think you're probably right, Nella. (And thanks for the encouragement Olioliwoo!) Half of  my stay will be in Zambia's capital, Lusaka, which is more or less a fairly modern city. The other half will be my stay in a Chewa Village; however, there is a large Catholic hospital very near the village. They usually have British medical interns there. I learned on my last trip that in the UK, medical interns must do a year of charity work in a third world country, which I think is awesome! All services there are free, also. Arthritis is not a life-threatening condition, but if something really bad happened, I am also an hour away (by plane) from Johannesburg, which has world class medical facilities. I'm sure the state department knows all that, but I'm thinking I should mention it just to bring it to their attention? I had to sign some extra waivers when I went the first time with the UW, so that is what is making me a bit nervous.

CIubsq7.gif

Still no news...

A)  I LOVE this gif! Just for its sheer beauty. B) It kinda reminds me of this forum right now, LOL!  C'mon everybody, lets make some noise on here and encourage those who haven't heard yet (I can't imagine not knowing by now; I'd be certifiable by now!)!!  And let's root for our alternates!!!  :-)

Just found out about Ukraine...................I have been granted a full research scholarship for Ukraine 2014-2015!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats! Worth the wait, eh? :)

P for me as well! 

Congrats!!! Can't wait to meet you in person!

CONGRATS! The wait was worth it! 

Thank you very much!  The wait was totally worth it!

Congrats! Worth the wait, eh? :)

Thank you so much!!  I can breath easy now :)

Just found out about Ukraine...................I have been granted a full research scholarship for Ukraine 2014-2015!!!!!!!!!!!!

P for me as well! 

That is AMAZING! Congratulations you two! I feel like this one deserves an especially hardy celebration since we were all so worried about the Ukraine program. Really, congrats!

Here's some virtual confetti for y'all...

crazy-celebration.gifbarney-confetti.gifyippie.gif

That is AMAZING! Congratulations you two! I feel like this one deserves an especially hardy celebration since we were all so worried about the Ukraine program. Really, congrats!

Thank you kindly!!!  I have really started to take a liking to these GIFs.  I think your gif reflects our excitement and joy properly! :)

P for me as well! 

Congratulations guys!!!! :D :D :D :D Can't make a gif of my happy dance so here are some minions for you!

giphy.gif

LOVE LOVE LOVE these gifs!!!! Perfectly captured :)

Congratulations guys!!!! :D :D :D :D Can't make a gif of my happy dance so here are some minions for you!

giphy.gif

Thank you very much olioliwoo!!!!  :D I can't stop myself from dancing along with the minions! :)

Still waiting to hear about Argentina and getting more and more antsy every day! Hoping it's this week at least! 

I hope you find out soon. Finger crossed! There is another student student at my college who is also waiting to hear back from Argentina--he is so worried. It sucks because he is putting off accepting another offer as long as possible since Fulbright is his first choice.

If I were still waiting, I'd look like this:

tumblr_inline_mkvgirOHsf1qz4rgp.gif