Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Quick question for alternates, and especially Eurasia alternates: Did you receive an email from Alyssa Yeng (or your program manager) about attending Pre-departure Orientation in the event that your status changes? I would assume this is standard practice these days, but I don't believe they sent out anything like that three years ago. (I was an alternate then as well. Sigh.) 

Quick question for alternates, and especially Eurasia alternates: Did you receive an email from Alyssa Yeng (or your program manager) about attending Pre-departure Orientation in the event that your status changes? I would assume this is standard practice these days, but I don't believe they sent out anything like that three years ago. (I was an alternate then as well. Sigh.) 

I did. Right after I got the original alternate email, which had my heart on edge. 

I did. Right after I got the original alternate email, which had my heart on edge. 

Gotcha. Figured that was most likely the case. And yes, not terribly helpful to make the subject line, "Pre-Departure Orientation." Minor heart palpitations on my end as well, although Alyssa sent me the orientation email a solid week after notifying me of my standing as an alternate. 

Edited by Maginz

That sounds so weird to me. If they know they will be sending out the email, maybe the alternate notification emails for the regions where this applies should include a heads-up about it.

I hope you find out soon. Finger crossed! There is another student student at my college who is also waiting to hear back from Argentina--he is so worried. It sucks because he is putting off accepting another offer as long as possible since Fulbright is his first choice.

If I were still waiting, I'd look like this:

tumblr_inline_mkvgirOHsf1qz4rgp.gif

Thanks for the support!!! I definitely feel like that some days and I have an obsessive habit of refreshing my email every afternoon. I at least don't have to worry just yet about turning down other offers for the coming year, but I can see how that would make things much worse for everyone who needs to make those decisions soon!

Yep. Received it on 05/02. Instantly honed in on "Fulbright" in the subject line, then composed myself again a second later after I read the entire line. :P

I previously raised the issue of whether prior experience in a country hurts your chances of receiving a Fulbright student research grant in that country.  Yesterday, there was a Fulbright Webinar, and I asked the same question.  In sum, if you're applying for a competitive country (high number of applications; low number of recipients), you're not very "competitive" if you have significant post graduate experience in the country (study abroad in college is fine).  I'm kind of at a loss, now, because the project I want to propose in Spain can only be done in Spain, and isn't that one of the key purposes of your proposal (telling the committee why you have to be in the particular country to carry out the research?).  I'm inclined to call and speak to someone personally because, while I don't want to just give up, I also don't want to spend months and months proposing a project that will never get funded because I taught English in Spain 6 years ago (not through Fulbright).

Any suggestions/thoughts are much appreciated. :)

Got alternate for ETA in Tajikistan. Dunno if I should wait or just accept my grad school offers.

I'm giving myself an internal deadline for Fulbright. I'm graduating grad school in a month, and I don't want to be stuck in the mud. So I'm saying that in 1 month, I take a job offer if I have it. It'll probably take a month for me to really find what I want anyway. And then after 2 months, I'm just going to put it out of my mind completely. 

For you, the timeline might be much more strict. But I don't think theres anything wrong with giving yourself a week or two before you accept grad offers, if you have the time. There's also nothing wrong with having a conversation with your grad school of preference to see what their timeline is, and whether you could accept and still defer in a few weeks pending acceptance. 

I previously raised the issue of whether prior experience in a country hurts your chances of receiving a Fulbright student research grant in that country.  Yesterday, there was a Fulbright Webinar, and I asked the same question.  In sum, if you're applying for a competitive country (high number of applications; low number of recipients), you're not very "competitive" if you have significant post graduate experience in the country (study abroad in college is fine).  I'm kind of at a loss, now, because the project I want to propose in Spain can only be done in Spain, and isn't that one of the key purposes of your proposal (telling the committee why you have to be in the particular country to carry out the research?).  I'm inclined to call and speak to someone personally because, while I don't want to just give up, I also don't want to spend months and months proposing a project that will never get funded because I taught English in Spain 6 years ago (not through Fulbright).

I say apply. It doesn't seem as if you want to go anywhere but Spain. I might say something different if you said you also had an interest in going to another country. Then you could feel it out and see what seems like the more strategically sound option. But if you're passionate about Spain, then apply to Spain.

Those comments that you're getting from other people are strictly generalizations. I'm sure if you asked for an example of someone who fit your description exactly, and still received the fellowship. Even if you're the acception rather than the norm, if your application is stellar, you'll be fine. 

While your experience was different from mine, I did two trips to Indonesia last year. Both were about 3 months and they were directly connected to my dissertation research (preliminary work). I was able to have a sentence about how it would enable me to "hit the ground running" once I landed. I am a principle so I don't think it affected my chances. I believe each experience is going to be unique and if you demonstrate how your work can only be done in Spain, then you will have done your best. 

Holy Crap it looks like we need a new thread for 2015-2016
 I have a question, how fast can one begin to use funding?
What the turn around time?  -- You apply with an October deadline and you hear back in January.  Could you potentially start using it for your proposed abroad affiliation as early as Feb March or April that follows January? OR Do you have to wait til the fall of 2015 to begin using the funding?

After my 2nd round of PhD rejections and I found out early, I got super motivated and like a hungry tiger was voraciously hunting down research opportunities to show that I indeed do have what it takes and will be doing poster presentations at several conferences submitting my current research for publication (I have none).
I'm doing everything imaginable to fulfill any short comings to "PhD admission"   ------To make a long story short MISSION ACCOMPLISHED ---- Im presenting poster presentations over summer working on journal submissions for publication of my thesis research AND managed to get accepted to a research station in South Africa. I have my letters from the field established research station, BUT MUST FUND MYSELF as a "volunteership"

Im sorta in reverse sequence here - I now have all my affiliation and currently only have the letter that goes to the embassy when requesting my 10 month visa   I could live on rice from now until my October departure and have a dull summer in order to fund myself, but seriously!!!!!

So I began hunting down funding as more of an after thought. I will have saved enough money to sustain my stay for 2-3 months BUT NEED ADDED FUNDING.

whats the problem you ask? Its not MY project. I will be the sole field researcher to 5 PostDocs of a French University with the field station in Africa.
Subject is small mammal ecology

I spoke to someone at fulbright about my lack of a proposal or independent project and they said its do-able
Goals of fulbright are professional development. What I would gain and the infinite multitude of data collection techniques blood samples blood analysis for hormone levels and nutrient levels, radio-tracking, GPS, GIS tracking, camera monitoring and thats not even half the list.

I strongly feel I could learn sooooooo much more with a much greater capacity for and access to developing my professional career by assisting on 10+ research projects for 10 months 
rather than proposing my own project.

ANY THOUGHTS?

and how soon can you begin to use your funding? Like IMMEDIATELY?

What the turn around time?  -- You apply with an October deadline and you hear back in January.  Could you potentially start using it for your proposed abroad affiliation as early as Feb March or April that follows January? OR Do you have to wait til the fall of 2015 to begin using the funding?

After my 2nd round of PhD rejections and I found out early, I got super motivated and like a hungry tiger was voraciously hunting down research opportunities to show that I indeed do have what it takes and will be doing poster presentations at several conferences submitting my current research for publication (I have none).

I'm doing everything imaginable to fulfill any short comings to "PhD admission"   ------To make a long story short MISSION ACCOMPLISHED ---- Im presenting poster presentations over summer working on journal submissions for publication of my thesis research AND managed to get accepted to a research station in South Africa. I have my letters from the field established research station, BUT MUST FUND MYSELF as a "volunteership"

Im sorta in reverse sequence here - I now have all my affiliation and currently only have the letter that goes to the embassy when requesting my 10 month visa   I could live on rice from now until my October departure and have a dull summer in order to fund myself, but seriously!!!!!

So I began hunting down funding as more of an after thought. I will have saved enough money to sustain my stay for 2-3 months BUT NEED ADDED FUNDING.

whats the problem you ask? Its not MY project. I will be the sole field researcher to 5 PostDocs of a French University with the field station in Africa.

I spoke to someone at fulbright about my lack of a proposal or independent project and they said its do-able

Goals of fulbright are professional development. What I would gain and the infinite multitude of data collection techniques blood samples blood analysis for hormone levels and nutrient levels, radio-tracking, GPS, GIS tracking, camera monitoring and thats not even half the list.

I strongly feel I could learn sooooooo much more with a much greater capacity for and access to developing my professional career by assisting on 10+ research projects for 10 months  rather than proposing my own project.

ANY THOUGHTS?

There is a new thread for 2015-2016 and I am sure they would appreciate this information as well. 

When you apply in October 2014, you will not be able to use your funds until later in the year 2015. When depends on the country. I know someone who went to Kenya in mid April and found out the day she landed that she was awarded the Fulbright. They processed her information quickly, but she was unable to start using funds until later in the summer (July I think). For Indonesia, the soonest start date is Sept of this year. But also, permit processing makes a difference. For example, some countries delay their permit processing for political reasons. You might plan to go in October, but can't until Jan. It is luck of the draw. 

Basically - don't bank on it. And from what I have heard from past Fulbrighters, not having your own project makes you less competitive. I'm not saying it makes you "out", but think about your application sitting against 50 others, if even 10 of them have a strong case as to what THEIR research will contribute to themselves, their country, and to the US, you will get ranked below them. When a country only accepts 3 or 4 candidates, these numbers should encourage you to make your application as strong and as unique as possible. Yes, you will learn great skills from this endeavor, but it is not your intellectual merit that makes or breaks the research. (i.e. - if you don't go, they can just find someone else to do the work).  

I really do not mean to sound harsh, just realistic. 

I strongly feel I could learn sooooooo much more with a much greater capacity for and access to developing my professional career by assisting on 10+ research projects for 10 months  rather than proposing my own project.

ANY THOUGHTS?

Hi InnovativeL. If you are applying for a student research grant (which is what I'm understanding you are looking at instead of a specialized Fulbright grant), you apply in October, hear if you passed the FIRST round in January, and then hear back if you got picked by the country between March-June. Most grants would then start that following Fall (or Spring in some places). For example, if you send your application in during October 2014 and you end up being selected, you wouldn't be able to start using your Fulbright funding until maybe August 2015 at the earliest.

Hmmm a specialized Fulbright grant is for what purpose? I would be doing research yes but my situation sounds more like a specialize circumstance.

I'm going in October regardless, but it may just mean I live on rice and have a dull summer to retain more funds.

I guess my purpose is more of needing an "internship grant" even though it is still research.

Hmmm a specialized Fulbright grant is for what purpose? I would be doing research yes but my situation sounds more like a specialize circumstance.

I'm going in October regardless, but it may just mean I live on rice and have a dull summer to retain more funds.

I guess my purpose is more of needing an "internship grant" even though it is still research.

I think you need to have more conversations with Fulbright people,especially the Fulbright advisors at your university to understand what Fulbright is. You have to demonstrate why YOUR project is necessary, why YOU are the only one who can do it, why it needs to be NOW, and what contributions it will make to the host country and to the US. Most people who get the student research grants have well formulated projects that are a part of their graduate work or an extension of their undergraduate work, or will be preliminary work for their future graduate degree. For example, I can think of 5 current Fulbrighters and ten past who used the Fulbright to collect their dissertation data. Their projects were complex, well thought out, well articulated, and they were the best person to conduct it. 

As a "research assistant" you are helping someone else achieve their goals. They can hire anyone and train them to achieve these ends. You would have to really make a great case as to why you are the only assistant they could possible use. Perhaps do some side project of your own. However, I will not allow my research assistants to have a side project while working for me. Field work with animals is a dawn/dusk endeavor, with days off usually requiring lab work. They won't have a spare moment to work on anything else. 

Beyond that - Fulbright will not award someone who is already living in the country.Perhaps a perusal of the eligibility page might help. I'm sorry, but Fulbright really is not meant to fund what you need it to. It never hurts to try, but it is a grueling and lengthy process that takes months of waiting. Most people spend 6 months on the application framing alone. And I will tell you right now that South Africa is extremely competitive. 

Again - I do not mean to be negative,just realistic. I teach at a university level and I only encourage those students to apply for a Fulbright who I think have a really good chance. To encourage someone otherwise is a detriment to them. You could spend your time searching for other ways to get funding. Gofundme.com perhaps?

Edited by Secret_Ninja

For those who are still hanging around, I am wondering can we start a new topic - how long did it take you to get medical clearance? Someone a few pages back posted that he/she heard back in three days, while I am now at ten days and counting. Any other data points?

Hi everyone,

I applied to the full research grant to Oman this year and I still haven't heard back about the final decision. Any apply to Oman this year?

I don't know if there's anyone on the forum that applied to Oman. But I do know that a couple other countries in your region have heard back. Have you tried emailing or calling the Program Manager?

For those who are still hanging around, I am wondering can we start a new topic - how long did it take you to get medical clearance? Someone a few pages back posted that he/she heard back in three days, while I am now at ten days and counting. Any other data points?

I am looking at 18 days. I have nothing odd on my form, so I called to uncover the delay. I was told some countries take longer than others. The guy on the phone said I should hear by next week. *fingers crossed*

Hi everyone,

I applied to the full research grant to Oman this year and I still haven't heard back about the final decision. Any apply to Oman this year?

Yes, I would suggest calling your regional program manager. The notification for my country (in W Europe) totally bypassed my inbox; didn't end up in SPAM, either. I had to call and have someone re-send the e-mail and then contact my university's IT department to ensure that that sort of snafu doesn't happen again! 

Edited by x\/x\/x

Yes, calling would be the best option. I had to call about decisions for Macedonia, and they told me that final decisions haven't been made yet.

My medical clearance took less than two days so I really do think it depends on the country and your personal history. Fingers crossed for those still waiting for clearace AND for those still awaiting on final grant news from Fulbright!

Still waiting to hear about Argentina and getting more and more antsy every day! Hoping it's this week at least! 

Still no word here either. Because the grant starts so late, it doesn't even affect my fall plans--I'd just really, really like to know (and also go to Argentina, obvs).