Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

This is my first post on here and it is to all of the Alternates out there. I was just recently changed from alternate to primary for Thailand ETA on Cinco de Mayo (about a month after our first notification on April 10th). So it does happen just hang in there and hopefully you will get an email soon! 

YAY! Congratulations! Thank you for the encouragement! I'm still holding out hope.

I haven't been on here in a while so I'm not sure if this has come up or not, but I read the following in a Phi Beta Kappa newsletter email today: 

The Fulbright Program, the nation’s flagship international academic exchange program, is in jeopardy. President Obama’s proposed budget calls for cuts of more than $30-million in the program, seriously harming its ability to fulfill its critical international mission of peace through education.

The program has promoted academic and cultural exchange, generating mutual exchange partnerships with over 155 countries all over the world for more than 60 years. Among the 325,000 alumni of the program are John Hope Franklin (former President of Phi Beta Kappa), John Lewis Gaddis, Renee Fleming, Daniel Liebeskind, 10 members of Congress, 18 heads of state, and dozens of Nobel Laureates and Pulitzer Prize winners. 

You can help Save the Fulbright by signing a petition here

Here's the link to the petition and an explanation to the cuts that are being made, in case anyone is interested! 

http://www.savefulbright.org/

Hi exploretheworld, WELCOME!

We always love to have positive people join the virtual club. Where did you apply? Research? ETA? Something else?

GE

Hi GE! Happy to join y'all! I am a finalist for the Fulbright-mtvU fellowship, and should hear back the final news sometime this month! 

Polyglot, thanks for sharing that. I just signed the petition!

I haven't been on here in a while so I'm not sure if this has come up or not, but I read the following in a Phi Beta Kappa newsletter email today: 

The Fulbright Program, the nation’s flagship international academic exchange program, is in jeopardy. President Obama’s proposed budget calls for cuts of more than $30-million in the program, seriously harming its ability to fulfill its critical international mission of peace through education.

The program has promoted academic and cultural exchange, generating mutual exchange partnerships with over 155 countries all over the world for more than 60 years. Among the 325,000 alumni of the program are John Hope Franklin (former President of Phi Beta Kappa), John Lewis Gaddis, Renee Fleming, Daniel Liebeskind, 10 members of Congress, 18 heads of state, and dozens of Nobel Laureates and Pulitzer Prize winners. 

You can help Save the Fulbright by signing a petition here

Here's the link to the petition and an explanation to the cuts that are being made, in case anyone is interested! 

http://www.savefulbright.org/

Unfortunately, it appears that the cuts have already taken place. A lot of the grant numbers are down for the 2015-2016 cycle. :(  Maybe some reversing can be done, though!! I signed it. :)

Hi GE! Happy to join y'all! I am a finalist for the Fulbright-mtvU fellowship, and should hear back the final news sometime this month! 

Polyglot, thanks for sharing that. I just signed the petition!

Fulbright- mtvU! That's great! Very unique. What's your project?

Just when I was starting to give up hope and apply to other programs, I got the call--my (A) has turned to (P)!!!!!!!!! South Korea here I come!

Hope this serves as some encouragement to all you other alternates out there!! Keep holding on!!  :D

It does! This is so exciting! Congratulations! I have a quick question though. Do they usually contact alternates by phone or by email when telling them the good news?

Just when I was starting to give up hope and apply to other programs, I got the call--my (A) has turned to (P)!!!!!!!!! South Korea here I come!

Hope this serves as some encouragement to all you other alternates out there!! Keep holding on!!  :D

Congratz!! Keepin' the hope alive :D

Yay! Congrats to you! :D

Congratulations!!!! Thank you for sharing (I need all the hopeful stories that I can get today).

It does! This is so exciting! Congratulations! I have a quick question though. Do they usually contact alternates by phone or by email when telling them the good news?

I got a vague email first just telling me to call the IIE office at my earliest convenience and they told me over the phone.

Does anyone know the contact information for the Fulbright representative in Sweden? I'm an Alternate, and I was given a job offer, but if I take it I can't get out of my contract and do the Fulbright if I suddenly get it. So I'm trying to contact the representative to see if they can let me know my chances of being bumped up to Principal. 

Has anyone heard from Argentina or any other South American countries?  I called Susan Muendl a few weeks ago and she said she had no idea when notifications would go out.  I have been keeping the May 15th date in my mind since the website says: It is anticipated that all principal candidates will receive notification no later than May 15th.

But maybe they are really just way further behind with notifications than they anticipated. 

Has anyone heard from Argentina or any other South American countries?  I called Susan Muendl a few weeks ago and she said she had no idea when notifications would go out.  I have been keeping the May 15th date in my mind since the website says: It is anticipated that all principal candidates will receive notification no later than May 15th.

But maybe they are really just way further behind with notifications than they anticipated. 

Wow, there must be some major troubles going on at Fulbright this year for these notifications to be going out so late. Good luck! :)

Romem, I know it sucks to wait, but just hang in there a bit longer. There is a guy in my school who is also waiting to hear back from Argentina and he is pretty anxious at this point. Just remember that everyday that passes means you are one day closer to finding out. If nothing else this is a good exercise in learning patience--which one can never have too much of. Te deseo buena suerte.

On another note, on Wednesday my school's president had a fellowship luncheon and the director of fellowship spoke about how unique this year had been for Fulbright. She said that in a conference there had been over the summer they had announced that they expected to have the vast majority of notification out by April 15, so your probably right about the last point.

Edited by GnosisExchange

CONGRATULATIONS!

Can't wait to see you at the marble mansion (nickname of the university we go to for orientation)...

tumblr_m6w43rnO7A1qzca99.jpg

Isn't it pretty?!

Congratulations!!!! Thank you for sharing (I need all the hopeful stories that I can get today).

Olioliwoo, I love your spirit and optimism. I'm really rooting for you. Even if the P doesn't become and A this year, I know you'll get your project funded--it is too important not to happen.

You are destined for great things.

Edited by GnosisExchange

Does anyone know the contact information for the Fulbright representative in Sweden? I'm an Alternate, and I was given a job offer, but if I take it I can't get out of my contract and do the Fulbright if I suddenly get it. So I'm trying to contact the representative to see if they can let me know my chances of being bumped up to Principal. 

Here you go, at the bottom of the page ;) 

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/countries/selectedcountry/sweden

CONGRATULATIONS!

Can't wait to see you at the marble mansion (nickname of the university we go to for orientation)...

tumblr_m6w43rnO7A1qzca99.jpg

Isn't it pretty?!

Woah. That's all I can say about that place. Woah.

And YAY!! Can't wait to meet you!! *sends virtual hugs*

Goodness! It's taking FOREVER! We have to be one of the last countries to know, right? I hope to see you in Argentina! Best of luck to you...have a drink today. It makes the time go by smoother.

Still waiting for Argentina here, haven't heard anything since the initial finalist email. It's definitely later than they've notified in the past. I think there are some other SA countries waiting as well?