Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

I have a question for all you studying at foreign universities! When you submitted your application, did you have a letter from the school saying "If X gets the Fulbright, we will give X admission to our program?" If so, how do you get that letter without sounding demanding and actually GETTING it?

Thanks!!

b2764d26-e601-11e3-b866-12313d02a8cf-ori

Words of wisdom via LinkedIn

Well I hope it will happen! According to the spreadsheet only two Bulls have received a principal position so far (myself and someone named Mary going to the Dominican Republic). There's an alternate for the Netherlands too. Hoping it turns for you!

Congratulations!!!

FANTASTIC! I'm so excited for all these turnovers to Principle! 

Thank you! It means a lot to get support from you guys. :) I'm still waiting for details, but I'm riding on a cloud right now :D Can't wait to meet everyone in D.C.! 

Thank you! It means a lot to get support from you guys. :) I'm still waiting for details, but I'm riding on a cloud right now :D Can't wait to meet everyone in D.C.! 

Haha, I wish I could meet you guys in D.C. But Thailand actually just has an in-country orientation in Bangkok.

Haha, I wish I could meet you guys in D.C. But Thailand actually just has an in-country orientation in Bangkok.

Ah, well! We'll have to follow your blog then so everyone can keep in touch and see your adventures!

Edited by Sine

Is Macedonia seriously the only country still waiting?

Nope! Oman is waiting, and I wouldn't be surprised if some other Persian Gulf countries still are as well (looking at you, UAE). Stay strong!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ZOMG so happy for you!!!!!!! *cue epic happy dance*

THIS IS AMAZING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crazy-celebration.gif

(our forum's reaction to this epicness)

Are you applying next year?

Hi guys, 

I have recently been awarded Fulbright Scholarship for Columbia MPA and I am thinking whether should I accept or reject it. The thing is that I was awarded only $8,000 and I will be facing 2-years home requirement. Therefore, I am wondering whether all the prestige which goes along Fulbright is really worth much. 

Hi guys, 

I have recently been awarded Fulbright Scholarship for Columbia MPA and I am thinking whether should I accept or reject it. The thing is that I was awarded only $8,000 and I will be facing 2-years home requirement. Therefore, I am wondering whether all the prestige which goes along Fulbright is really worth much. 

This is a tough decision. Why don't you tell us more about your other options for school, full costs, etc so that we can give better advice. 

Hi guys, 

Could you give us more details on your grant and the situation? It sounds like you're a non-US student applying to the US into Columbia, and that you're gaining $8,000 in funding (but will presumably need to either take out loans or somehow get the rest of the money for board & tuition), and that once you are finished you will have to work 2 years in your home country. Is this correct?

Alternate for ETA to Macedonia.

Congratulations!! I know that it wasn't the P you were hoping for, but at least there is still hope (I think you might have a better chance of being promoted because of how late you got the news).

Are you applying next year?

I have started the process again, although I obviously hope that I get promoted soon. I have also started looking at other possibilities since I am graduating in August with my MPH.

I have started the process again, although I obviously hope that I get promoted soon. I have also started looking at other possibilities since I am graduating in August with my MPH.

Okay, well good luck.. For me to add insult to injury they selected me as an alternate, told me two weeks later I was selected and recently ripped it away from me stating the funding was not funneled through as they thought. Again, I was going after max two grants. Anyhow, I called Fulbright and they praised my project, and told me to resubmit. My only thought is,different reviewer maybe different outcome for the worse.. We'll see, but I have to try again..i'm addicted..lol ..Well you could always look at doctorate programs in France or maybe even a part time lecture position at an English speaking university. 

I may make the move there (Europe) next year. so we'll see.

Edited by Bluefit

Congratulations!! I know that it wasn't the P you were hoping for, but at least there is still hope (I think you might have a better chance of being promoted because of how late you got the news).

Thanks! I actually accepted the admissions offer to Tulane for their Ph.D. Linguistics program; however, I was hoping to have been able to have my cake and eat it too. Nevertheless, the final notification about the Fulbright was extremely late by comparison. :) Good luck!

Quick question: If I was to call Fulbright and ask if the initial two principle candidates have accepted, can they tell me that? I'm an Alternate, obviously.

I think there are many circumstances that may bring you to principle status, and the principle candidates not accepting their grant is just one possible reason. Other reasons may include: extra funding for the country, the principle statuses decreasing the amount of their grant because of outside funding, and some other ones I can't think of right now.

In whichever case, Fulbright might be able to tell you the status for funding/the principles; however, I wouldn't be too surprised if they kept it confidential because we're not really entitled to know that type of information.

I think there are many circumstances that may bring you to principle status, and the principle candidates not accepting their grant is just one possible reason. Other reasons may include: extra funding for the country, the principle statuses decreasing the amount of their grant because of outside funding, and some other ones I can't think of right now.

In whichever case, Fulbright might be able to tell you the status for funding/the principles; however, I wouldn't be too surprised if they kept it confidential because we're not really entitled to know that type of information.

Yeah, I think you're definitely right. But honestly, I don't see my country's ETA program getting any extra funding. So I figure the only thing that would get me a fellowship is if one of the two people declined, and I was chosen =\ Oh well. It's worth an ask, and if its confidential, I won't be particularly shocked.

Yeah, I think you're definitely right. But honestly, I don't see my country's ETA program getting any extra funding. So I figure the only thing that would get me a fellowship is if one of the two people declined, and I was chosen =\ Oh well. It's worth an ask, and if its confidential, I won't be particularly shocked.

I'm an advocate of asking. :)

Okay, well good luck.. For me to add insult to injury they selected me as an alternate, told me two weeks later I was selected and recently ripped it away from me stating the funding was not funneled through as they thought. Again, I was going after max two grants. Anyhow, I called Fulbright and they praised my project, and told me to resubmit. My only thought is,different reviewer maybe different outcome for the worse.. We'll see, but I have to try again..i'm addicted..lol ..Well you could always look at doctorate programs in France or maybe even a part time lecture position at an English speaking university. 

I may make the move there (Europe) next year. so we'll see.

Wow, I think that's the first time I have heard of something like that happening. I'm sorry that didn't work out (can't imagine the yo-yoing emotions) :( Good luck on applying the second time around, I will be rooting for you!!