Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

.pdf's are waaay safer!

I second that. I also submitted my statements in PDF form; it's much easier to control how they are formatted and subsequently seen by the examiners.

Just to be sure, a reminder:

Not only is the application submission on Tuesday 10/15, but "online application system closes at 5:00 P.M. EST."

Don't want to see any heartache here after all of the work you have put into your applications!!!

Edited by Elli389

Woops I didn't put my essays in PDF  -_- hopefully it won't be a major issue. Did anyone here have an earlier deadline than Oct. 15 because they're applying through their university? 

Woops I didn't put my essays in PDF  -_- hopefully it won't be a major issue. Did anyone here have an earlier deadline than Oct. 15 because they're applying through their university? 

I applied through my university, but they didn't tell me about an institution-determined deadline. I submitted it online about a week ago though.

Did anyone here have an earlier deadline than Oct. 15 because they're applying through their university? 

Hmmm...

If I understand correctly, all universities have campus deadlines which are earlier than October 15 to allow campus reps or committees to review the applications.

The applications are then unsubmitted to allow applicants to make changes before the "actual" deadline, October 15th.

I don't think you can be required to do a final submission before the 15th (although I do think it is recommended to avoid any technical mishaps).

Did anyone here have an earlier deadline than Oct. 15 because they're applying through their university? 

Hmmm...

If I understand correctly, all universities have campus deadlines which are earlier than October 15 to allow campus reps or committees to review the applications.

The applications are then unsubmitted to allow applicants to make changes before the "actual" deadline, October 15th.

I don't think you can be required to do a final submission before the 15th (although I do think it is recommended to avoid any technical mishaps).

I'm not sure about that. I applied through my university, received no notification from them about the application, and still have this listed on my actual application:

You submitted this application to Fulbright on 10/4/2013 6:13:00 PM. You can still work on any remaining parts of your application, but the application form itself is no longer available for editing.

Well, all I can say is that this was the process at my university:

1. Our campus deadline was in the middle of September. I had to officially submit my application.

2. I had an interview with my campus committee.

3. The application was unsubmitted by my campus representative and I am now able to make changes to any part of the application, including the application form, uploading revised essays, etc.

4. I will need to officially resubmit my application by the official deadline, 10/15.

I guess it works differently at different unis?

Well, all I can say is that this was the process at my university:

1. Our campus deadline was in the middle of September. I had to officially submit my application.

2. I had an interview with my campus committee.

3. The application was unsubmitted by my campus representative and I am now able to make changes to any part of the application, including the application form, uploading revised essays, etc.

4. I will need to officially resubmit my application by the official deadline, 10/15.

I guess it works differently at different unis?

Yeah, that's pretty much our process but they wanted ours submitted a week ago to make sure nothing went wrong on their end with the final submission.  Mine was submitted officially on Friday afternoon and okayed by the institution.  I think it's just so that there aren't any freak outs.  They say embark can crash, so early submission is good.

Good luck for everyone.  I'm not even thinking about this again until after Christmas.  With comprehensives just finishing up a few weeks ago, I'm still recovering.

Woops I didn't put my essays in PDF  -_- hopefully it won't be a major issue.

Now that I have uploaded my essays, I actually don't think it matters, as the uploading process converts the Word document to a PDF. Mac users are advised to convert their docs to PDF but since I am not using a Mac I just submitted my Word documents.

Mine was submitted officially on Friday afternoon and okayed by the institution.

Just curious--how do you know about the okay from the institution?  Did you get a notification from Fulbright or from your school?

Now that we have a great deal of time left to wait, maybe it would be interesting for us to talk about our projects or goals. :) I'm applying for the ETA to Macedonia. During the time that I am not teaching, I'd like to be able to increase my ability to speak and understand the language, to learn about the educational system for a comparative study, and to come to terms with the construction of a Macedonian identity through literature. Given that the ETA doesn't require an actual project with a budget, I wanted to cover all of the possibilities in my SOP. (I'm a Secondary English Education major with concentrations in Linguistics and African American literature.)

How about the rest of you? Which program are you applying for? To which country? What is your project? Any long-term goals?

Hey y'all!

My name is Kelsey and I graduated from college in May with a BA in English. I applied for a Full Grant last year to Denmark and was cut on the first round which really killed me. I learned from my mistakes though and am (hopefully) a much stronger applicant.

I applied for a Full Grant to Canada to study medical sociology at McGill University. While doing that, I will also be shadowing a neurosurgeon who focuses on heredity and it's link to brain aneurysms. My study will be focused on aneurysms and heredity and my plan is to begin my own non profit linking survivors from both countries upon my return to the US.

My fingers are crossed for everyone here!! This is our year.

Now that I have uploaded my essays, I actually don't think it matters, as the uploading process converts the Word document to a PDF. Mac users are advised to convert their docs to PDF but since I am not using a Mac I just submitted my Word documents.

That makes me feel a lot better! I used a PC too so that's good. 

As for me...

I am a PhD student and I applied for a Full grant to go to Colombia. This is my first time applying so I am really nervous (obviously). I am coming into this experience with  an open mind (trying not to get my hopes up too much). Anyways, I applied for a Psychology Full for Colombia to learn more about intervention programs for children affected by post-conflict cartel violence. I am interested in an exploratory research design to learn about the program's efficacy in hopes of finding successful components. If I am able to go and find success in their intervention programs I hope I can apply it to communities located near the US-Mexican border that are currently experiencing a similar type of violence. That's if I can go in the first place though.  :rolleyes:

Did anyone else get an email from Jody saying that Fulbright has received your application?

I'm not sure who Jody is; I received a generic (automated) email immediately after submitting the application.

I'm not sure who Jody is; I received a generic (automated) email immediately after submitting the application.

It's so odd. I received the generic (automated) email too, but then got another one on top of it. And it seems like it was rushed because Fulbright was spelled wrong in the title. I hope it's a good sign?

Has anyone else seen on the Fulbright website that it gives the exact date of notification: January 31??? I know last year we were told on Jan. 18, and that the exact date has never been given before. Do you think it's notification BY January 31 or that is THE day??