Applying for Fall 2014

georgemckean

Stanford Skype interview on Friday. Terrified the South African Skype connection will fail on me (I'm on a conference/lecture recital tour right now, such stressful timing). Also HOLY CR@P I GOT AN INTERVIEW!!

Got an audition invite from Juilliard the other day (MM in composition) ... I see someone got an invite to Yale School of Music, but they are taking forever to get back to me!

Update: Well, Yale finally rejected me (MM in composition), but at least I won't be spending any more money on them!

Hi musicbox, what schools are you waiting on? Best of luck

I might add a couple that have later deadlines, but so far: Longy, Ithaca, Temple, Dartmouth, Juilliard and Yale.

Thank you for the good wishes, and same to you. Also, congrats on your Juilliard invite! What other schools are on your list?

Hey all,

I, too, am waiting to hear back from music composition programs. I was one of the folks who got a rejection from Yale yesterday, just wanted to say hi, join the conversation, and especially wish everyone luck!

Someone had a phone interview with Northwestern on January 9th!?!?!?!?!

Hi Harmonielehre! That was me, actually. They called me on the ninth to ask if I was going to be in the country for the interview weekend (a big part of my CV revolved around an abroad program I'm currently on) because, in their words, they afford could fly me to Chicago from New York, but not from Siberia. Alas, I am still in Siberia, so they asked to do a Skype interview on the tenth. So my interview situation was a bit unorthodox!

I know I'm a newcomer to this forum, but good luck to everyone! 

Anyone else waiting to hear from Berkeley and/or Davis for composition?

Going by the Gradcafe Results search, it looks like over the last few years, UC Berkeley / UC Davis have sent acceptances/requests for interviews in the last week of January, and rejections in mid-Feb or later. Complete speculation, but it'll be interesting to see if that happens this year. 

This is the sort of thing I do when I have to wait.

Good luck all,

ST

UC Berkeley Music Composition, PhD (F13) Rejected via E-mail on 8 Feb 2013 A 13 Feb 2013
  •  
University Of California Berkeley Music History And Literature (Musicology), PhD (F13) Rejected via E-mail on 9 Sep 2013 I 9 Feb 2013
  •  
University Of California, Berkeley Music Composition, PhD (F13) Rejected via E-mail on 8 Feb 2013 U 9 Feb 2013
  •  
UC Berkeley Music History And Literature (Musicology), PhD (F13) Rejected via E-mail on 8 Feb 2013 A 9 Feb 2013
  •  
UC Berkeley Music Composition, PhD (F13) Rejected via E-mail on 8 Feb 2013   8 Feb 2013
  •  
UC Berkeley Music Composition, PhD (F12) Rejected via E-mail on 13 Feb 2012 A 13 Feb 2012
  •  
UC Berkeley Music Composition, PhD (F12) Rejected via E-mail on 13 Feb 2012   13 Feb 2012
  •  
University Of California, Berkeley (UCB) Music Composition, PhD (F12) Accepted via Phone on 25 Jan 2012 A 11 Feb 2012
  •  
University Of California At Berkeley Music Composition, PhD (F11) Rejected via E-mail on 25 Feb 2011 A 28 Feb 2011
  •  
University Of California, Berkeley (UCB) Music Composition, Masters (F10) Rejected via Website on 1 Mar 2010 A 11 Mar 2010
  •  
University Of California, Berkeley (UCB) Music Composition, PhD (F10) Rejected via E-mail on 20 Feb 2010 I 24 Feb 2010
  • my 3rd rejection... damn. and i can't belive cornell and nyu are sending results by postal mail. i don't live in america, this is gonna take forever
University Of California, Berkeley (UCB) Music Composition, PhD (F10) Rejected via E-mail on 23 Feb 2010 A 23 Feb 2010
  •  
University Of California, Berkeley (UCB) Music Composition, PhD (?) Rejected via E-mail on 18 Feb 2008 A 18 Feb 2008
Institution Program (Season) Decision & Date St1 Date Added Notes University Of California - Davis Music Composition, PhD (F12) Accepted via E-mail on 25 Jan 2012 A 11 Feb 2012
  •  
University Of California, Davis (UCD) Music Composition, PhD (F10) Accepted via Phone on 1 Feb 2010 A 3 Feb 2010
  •  

Here were my dates from the 2012 cycle: 

Stanford - offer (1/25) 

Berkeley - offer (1/27) 

Penn - interview (1/18), offer (2/17) 

Michigan - offer (2/10) 

Princeton - rejection (2/10) 

Cornell - wait-list (2/21), offer soon thereafter but declined 

Columbia - interview (2/26), offer (2/29) 

Harvard - rejection (3/10 or thereabouts; it was a letter and I don't have it anymore) 

Yale - rejection (3/14 after inquiring) 

I suppose things are moving more slowly this year... :( 

Edited by Karajan

Thanks Karajan and damn, nice list of acceptances! 

Harmonielehre, looking at the results from past years for Columbia (http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=music+columbia&t=a&o=&pp=25), they would seem to be in the mid-Feb to mid-March time frame.... It's not really a representative sample since such a small % of applicants post results there, but it's something to obsess about.

Good luck!

Haven't heard a peep... maybe not a good sign from Northwestern.

Did you do a phone/Skype interview with Columbia Karajan? If so, when were you first informed?

Yes, I did a Skype interview and then heard from them about the offer very soon thereafter.  It came up quite late in the process though, so I thought I'd gotten rejected.  That's a lesson though -- If you don't hear from a school for a long time, don't assume you didn't get in! 

Just a bit curious Karajan, since you seem to have had a pretty stellar round with your applications... how well-off were you in terms of conference presentations/publications? I imagine you had some pretty strong writing samples/recs as well?

Edited by Harmonielehre

Just a bit curious Karajan, since you seem to have had a pretty stellar round with your applications... how well-off were you in terms of conference presentations/publications? I imagine you had some pretty strong writing samples/recs as well?

I worked on my writing samples the summer before I applied, and tried to choose my two best examples of undergraduate writing, regardless of the topics -- I went with my undergraduate thesis and a theory paper.  I had a few profs read them over the summer and give pointers, which really helped.  The writing samples were a big focus for me because they are just so important for these applications.  I think I worked on them up until the last possible second! 

As for recs, I just asked the 3-4 profs I knew best and had done the most work for.  I think I asked my undergrad thesis advisor, my master's thesis advisor, and two others from undergrad.

When I applied, I think I'd only had one conference presentation (at an AMS chapter meeting) and that's it.  I did a few more the year I applied, but I hadn't done them/gotten accepted to those conferences when I sent the applications.  I didn't list any publications on the CV, though I did have one in an undergrad publication. 

Edited by Karajan

Anyone else waiting to hear from Berkeley and/or Davis for composition?

Going by the Gradcafe Results search, it looks like over the last few years, UC Berkeley / UC Davis have sent acceptances/requests for interviews in the last week of January, and rejections in mid-Feb or later. Complete speculation, but it'll be interesting to see if that happens this year. 

This is the sort of thing I do when I have to wait.

Good luck all,

ST

Last year I didn't hear back from Davis until mid April.